Replacement San Francisco

Guest kd80

Guest kd80

I just rang Orange to organise a replacement San Francisco since mine has the dust under the screen. It was surprisingly painless at how easy it is to get it (one is coming tomorrow morning after getting off the phone to them). I have one or two quick questions:

1. I have reflashed it back to GEN 1 and restored the Orange ROM. Is there a way to wipe EVERYTHING back to factory default? I presume via CWM to wipe cache etc.?
  2. The new models they release now, are they still mod-able? I would hate to get the new SF and unable to budge from the crap 2.1 Orange provide. My mate mentioned the new ones aren't, not sure whether he was telling the truth or not.
  3. I have made a backup of my current setup (ROM + data) through CWM and copied this to my computer. When I get my new phone tomorrow (and it is customisable), can I just restore this or are there some hardware dependent things?

Guest hedgepigdaniel
I just rang Orange to organise a replacement San Francisco since mine has the dust under the screen. It was surprisingly painless at how easy it is to get it (one is coming tomorrow morning after getting off the phone to them). I have one or two quick questions:
  1. I have reflashed it back to GEN 1 and restored the Orange ROM. Is there a way to wipe EVERYTHING back to factory default? I presume via CWM to wipe cache etc.?
  2. The new models they release now, are they still mod-able? I would hate to get the new SF and unable to budge from the crap 2.1 Orange provide. My mate mentioned the new ones aren't, not sure whether he was telling the truth or not.
  3. I have made a backup of my current setup (ROM + data) through CWM and copied this to my computer. When I get my new phone tomorrow (and it is customisable), can I just restore this or are there some hardware dependent things?

1. Orange stock ROM is as close as you can get. They won't have any idea

2. yes. Easiest way is to do one of wbaw's TPTs (either Gen1 or Gen2 depending on whether your backup is Gen1 or Gen2), it will install clockworkmod and optimise your partitions all in one step, no need to root the Orange ROM etc

3. yes

Guest flshg

Restoring a nandroid from your old phone would restore the mac address wouldn't it? I guess this would be unlikely to cause any real problems but I think it would be best to backup the mac address from your new phone (I think its something like athsavedeeprom.bin). Someone should be able to correct me on this.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Restoring a nandroid from your old phone would restore the mac address wouldn't it? I guess this would be unlikely to cause any real problems but I think it would be best to backup the mac address from your new phone (I think its something like athsavedeeprom.bin). Someone should be able to correct me on this.

Yeah it will, but seeing as the old phone is being sent in for replacement I doubt it will ever be a problem

Guest kd80
1. Orange stock ROM is as close as you can get. They won't have any idea

2. yes. Easiest way is to do one of wbaw's TPTs (either Gen1 or Gen2 depending on whether your backup is Gen1 or Gen2), it will install clockworkmod and optimise your partitions all in one step, no need to root the Orange ROM etc

3. yes

Perfect, thank you. So even the newew versions are customisable? There's no restriction on the San Francisco or anything?

Guest Pondlife

Surely the orange tpt correctly removes the CWM?

relock it to Orange?

Format/clean up the SD card (assuming that is going anywhere)

Guest Laus_bub

Hi,

sorry for the stupid question, can you please describe how you flashed it back to the original rom?

I downloaded the stock rom for switzerland from the thread above an flashed it via clockworkmod as zip file.

My problem is that it now stucks on the green android ...

Thanks,

Lausbub

Guest KenBW2

1. I sent mine back with MCR on it as I didn't have time to wipe before they came to replace it. No problems reported back to me
  2. I have nothing to add here
  3. For what it's worth, the nandroid backups I made of my first (TFT) device didn't restore on my replacement (OLED), so I can vouch for a little unreliability - maybe down to the different hardware? Ensure everything's backed up in a way that can easily be recovered in case of a failure to restore your nandroid backup. Please report results though

Guest kd80
Hi,

sorry for the stupid question, can you please describe how you flashed it back to the original rom?

I downloaded the stock rom for switzerland from the thread above an flashed it via clockworkmod as zip file.

My problem is that it now stucks on the green android ...

Thanks,

Lausbub

Hi, I used the TPT method found here. This is the easiest and it gets the stock recovery back on there too (replacing CWM).

1. I sent mine back with MCR on it as I didn't have time to wipe before they came to replace it. No problems reported back to me
  2. I have nothing to add here
  3. For what it's worth, the nandroid backups I made of my first (TFT) device didn't restore on my replacement (OLED), so I can vouch for a little unreliability - maybe down to the different hardware? Ensure everything's backed up in a way that can easily be recovered in case of a failure to restore your nandroid backup. Please report results though

Good point! I just got mine now and it's an OLED :huh: happy, but it means my backups won't work lol, so will do a fresh wipe :blink: thanks!