Adding apks to ROMs before flashing....

Guest Yuccaman

Guest Yuccaman

Seeing as I have now flashed a ROM for about the fifth time ever this weekend, I was wondering if I could get a few pointers in how to add files to the ROM properly before flashing....

I have added a couple of apks to the system/app folder for certain apps (AppWidgetPicker, BarcodeScanner and TaskManager).

However, when I tried replacing the LatinIME.apk from GSF11 (CM7 Keyboard) with the same file from GSF9 (Gingerbread keyboard), after flashing, the Keyboard process would not launch and kept on force closing all the time, so I assume there's more to it than simply copying the apk into system/app. What else should I be looking out for ?

Also, I assume you can incorporate market apps into a ROM file. If so, how would I go about extracting the apk file to use. Do I simply grab the apk from the data/app directory on the phone and put it in system/app on the ROM ? I note these apks include the name of the software group, e.g com.amazon.venezia-1.apk for the Amazon market. Can this be renamed , i.e to amazonmarket.apk ?

Cheers,

Guest KonstaT

Some .apk's also need libs in /system/lib. There is atleast libjni_latinime.so for that keyboard. You can find needed libs when you unpack your .apk and look into armeabi/lib. Copy those files to your ROMs /system/lib.

The name of the .apk doesn't matter. Just make sure that there is no spaces or weird symbols in that files name.

Guest Yuccaman
Some .apk's also need libs in /system/lib. There is atleast libjni_latinime.so for that keyboard. You can find needed libs when you unpack your .apk and look into armeabi/lib. Copy those files to your ROMs /system/lib.

The name of the .apk doesn't matter. Just make sure that there is no spaces or weird symbols in that files name.

Ah, OK - Will watch out for that next time I flash a ROM....

After my keyboard fun last time, I think I will make up two copies of the ROM, one with the changed stuff I already know works and another with that plus some experimental stuff and see what happens....

Cheers,