Broken Blade?!

Guest aliaird

Guest aliaird

Hi

I don't know if anyone has any ideas as to how you help me but here is my problem...

I downloaded via ROM manager the latest CM 7 nightly last night and installed it, just as I have done a number of times. However things seem to have gone wrong (there were a couple of programs missing for some reason and a few other ones didnt seem to work) so I tried to go back to the previous ROM. I can't remember the order of events precisely but the current situation is as follows;

I have a couple of older CM7 ROMs on my micro SD card on the phone. Whenever I install one of them I get it installed, but it does not bring up the usual google login process, and there is no market place app in the system to download anything. I can get Titanium Pro up and running but it wont let me install Market etc. I wonder if this is because I didnt run through the Google setup at the beginning. I found a thing in developer apps about google login but it fails to load. If I go to sync accounts and add account, it only gives me the choice of an exchange server login, so no joy there..

If I go back to ROM manager and restore a backup from that, the Blade freezes on the green android screen and never gets to the Clockwork mod bit of the process.

I'm happy to wipe everything on the phone (I'd like to keep the apps etc on my SD card if possible) and start again but I cant seem to find a way to do that.

If I plug my phone into the PC it does not recognise the phone so I cannot load a new ROM on that way. I tried using Dropbox but that didnt work either.

I'm beginning to run out of ideas....

How can I get it back to a cleanish state if a wipe and new ROM don't do the trick?

thanks in advance!

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Are you on Gen1 or Gen2? (If you haven't changed yourself, then its Gen1 if it was sold with android 2.1 or Gen2 if it was sold with android 2.2). you need to be on Gen2 to run CM7

Did you flash gapps? market etc is downloaded seperately from CM7.

Assuming you want to install CM7, I recommend you go to the Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade thread. you can upgrade to Gen2 and install CM7 with gapps all in one go.

Guest drobson67

Hi,

Installing gapps will allow you to get your missing google apps back, if rom manager is causing problems can you not boot into cwm directly by holding down the vol- and power on buttons together then installing your nightly image file that way, or were you just having probems with rom manager installing a previous nandroid backup? if all else fails then you could try a TPT (total phone tranfer) as there might be something wrong with clockwork mod recovery itself.

Guest aliaird

Thanks guys. Had some success over lunch!

I used ROM manager to flash an old version of Clockwork recovery, then back again to latest. Rebooted into Clockwork then was able to restore a backup via that, which was not working when doing it via Rom Manager. Will work out how to delete ROM Manager from system then reload a clean version in case something is corrupt there...

thanks guys, panic over for now...