What is a Flurry Agent?

Guest t0mm13b

Guest t0mm13b

A heads up - can anyone confirm this on their latest CM7 nightly, am running nightly 128 and this in the log caught my attention....

D/FlurryAgent( 478): Starting new session

I/System.out( 478): !========= start Flurry

D/FlurryAgent( 478): Sending report to: http://data.flurry.com/aar.do

Here's a list of apps I have running:

• DroidWall
  • Fancy Widgets Pro
  • Launcher Pro
  • Tapatalk
  • SetCPU
  • Tweetcaster

Any ideas? :blink:

Guest Matty-p

A heads up - can anyone confirm this on their latest CM7 nightly, am running nightly 128 and this in the log caught my attention....

Here's a list of apps I have running:

• DroidWall
  • Fancy Widgets Pro
  • Launcher Pro
  • Tapatalk
  • SetCPU
  • Tweetcaster

Any ideas? :blink:

Flurry do mobile analitics software/solutions sometimes integrated into apps by android devsso could be any of those apps really use process of ilimination and task killer?

Guest t0mm13b

Looks like they're collecting analytics data;

http://www.flurry.com/

Although this could be seen as slightly sinister tongue.gif;

http://data.flurry.com/

Sure, but there was NO mention of along the lines of "If you use this app, we will be transmitting information for marketing purposes".... think of it a sneaky way of doing it in a unethical manner without the user's knowledge....

Guest Magnets

Sure, but there was NO mention of along the lines of "If you use this app, we will be transmitting information for marketing purposes".... think of it a sneaky way of doing it in a unethical manner without the user's knowledge....

Almost any app that contains adverts will be doing the same. The ad providers collect usage statistics in exactly the same way as flurry, and will probably state so in their privacy policy, but app developers never list it in the market description.

Adfree probably blocks it, but you can do it manually too

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=673146

Guest t0mm13b

will probably state so in their privacy policy, but app developers never list it in the market description.

You have put your finger on this ^^^ see your quote highlighted....

The crucial aspect is this, this is a paid advert free edition of TweetCaster Pro.... :o

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest t0mm13b

this mean that mine do the same thing

not fair !

especially for a bought app

Yep, thing is - I have tweeted Handmark on this and silence coming from them!

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest t0mm13b

Well, have tweeted Hallmark three times in a row over the duration of yesterday evening, and not getting a reply back is one of appallingly bad and disgusted with them. :angry:

I will keep you all updated on this. :(

http://www.flurry.com/product/analytics/technical-info.html

Individual user data is not identifiable. It just generates stats about how people are using their app. How many people are using it in which countries, what types of phones they have, how often it's used, things like that. It isn't big brother spying on you personally. You can go through a demo on their site, see what kind of data it provides.

If you don't like it, then don't use that app, the official Twitter client works pretty well.

Edited by wbaw

Guest t0mm13b

http://www.flurry.com/product/analytics/technical-info.html

Individual user data is not identifiable. It just generates stats about how people are using their app. How many people are using it in which countries, what types of phones they have, how often it's used, things like that. It isn't big brother spying on you personally. You can go through a demo on their site, see what kind of data it provides.

If you don't like it, then don't use that app, the official Twitter client works pretty well.

Fine, but the sticking sore point is this, I paid for it!

This is not about big-brother crapola... couldn't give a toss either...

There's sneaky going on inside the app which is not clearly mentioned on the Google's market. It's like a false advertising if you get me, if Handmark, the makers were more upfront and says - "there is a marketing statistics analysis data collection going on", then you'd question it, but clearly went to great length to say "oh yeah, it's the best app in town". Personally, I'd like to know what sort of info is being transmitted without being ignorant about it, if the data says, how often I tweet, that's brilliant - could not care less, but the fact is, they were not being exactly truthful and upfront about it. They did mis-lead...and clearly did not state that nor offer the option to OPT-OUT....

I clearly did not pay for a sneaky going-on's behind my back - to me, that's unethical and clearly undermines the user's confidence and trust in the supplier of the software.

Peace B)

Edited by t0mm13b

I agree they should be much more open about what stats their app is collecting, maybe it's on some privacy policy page on their website or something.

Having said that, it looks pretty innocent, lots of apps will be collecting similar data, not least all the Google apps. It isn't something to get too paranoid about. You'll just be a +1 on their people with 480x800 screen Android phones in Ireland. Almost every website does the same kind of thing too. You only noticed it because they used a 3rd party tool, rather than hiding it in their code somewhere. I don't think it even goes as far as saying how often you tweet, closest would be that 37% of their users open the app 3 times a day, or some stat like that. All the data is aggregated, you can see from flurry's 'product tour'.

Even CM7 is collecting stats on you. They ask you, but it defaults to on, does it send before you can turn it off?

Edited by wbaw

Guest t0mm13b

I agree they should be more open about what stats their app is collecting, maybe it's on some privacy policy page on their website or something.

Having said that, it looks pretty innocent, lots of apps will be collecting similar data, not least all the Google apps. It isn't something to get too paranoid about. You'll just be a +1 on their people with phones with 480x800 screen Android phones in Ireland.

lol! Yeah.... sure aint we all insignificant lil feckers in the grand scheme of things :)

Well to throw in this...

Personal Data

Handmark does not collect or use any personal data that may be used to identify, track, or contact you, unless you have intentionally provided it. You can choose not to provide certain information, but please realize you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features.

We do receive and store certain types of automatic information whenever you interact with us. As with many Web sites, we use "cookies," and we obtain certain types of information when your Web browser accesses Handmark.com. A number of companies offer utilities designed to help you visit Web sites anonymously. Although we will not be able to provide you with a personalized experience at Handmark.com if we cannot recognize you, we want you to be aware that these tools exist.

(Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and to provide features such as personalized product spotlights and storage of items in your Shopping Cart between visits.)

Non-personal data

Handmark may use tools or third party analytical software to collect and use certain non-personal data that does not enable Handmark to identify you. The types of non-personal data Handmark may collect and use include, but are not limited to: (i) mobile device type and device properties; (ii) mobile device software platform and firmware; (iii) mobile phone carrier; (iv) geographical data no more accurate that metropolitan areas; (v) gamescore and achievements; (vi) other non-personal data as reasonably required by Handmark to enhance its services.

Handmark may use the collected data for purposes of analyzing usage and to further develop its products and services. Handmark reserves the right to use and disclose the collected non-personal data for purposes of advertisement by Handmark or Handmark partners.

Okie fair enough, this leads to the biggie - how many people actually have read the above...chances are its zero!!!!

Also, this is twisted... note the usage of the word 'may' in the section for 'Non-Personal Data' in the first opening sentence... it's not a bloody may, it's bloody full-on...

Another thing, if the word 'may' was used in their privacy policy, surely there should be a facility in the app to OPT-OUT of that data collection exercise, but no, there isn't, which is clearly a violation, surely...

lol :rolleyes:

Edited by t0mm13b

There's a difference between personal data & non-personal data that is grouped together with thousands of other people's non-personal data to make aggregate stats. Most companies don't feel the need to tell you or ask you before collecting non-personal data which can't be used to identify you personally. Pretty sure that the data protection act & other privacy laws only cover personal information.

Edited by wbaw

Guest t0mm13b

Am going to have to let this thread die...

Simple, I liked Tweetcaster, which lead me to purchase the Pro version. So will continue using it.

Also, it helps to be prudent to check on the log via adb logcat with any trial software you download from marketplace, and check with the privacy policy on the said app's website.

Important lesson for all!

Guest Magnets

Am going to have to let this thread die...

Simple, I liked Tweetcaster, which lead me to purchase the Pro version. So will continue using it.

Also, it helps to be prudent to check on the log via adb logcat with any trial software you download from marketplace, and check with the privacy policy on the said app's website.

Important lesson for all!

Not all software is going to write what it is doing in logcat, there will be plenty of apps that silently collect info.