Android 2.3 Rom Questions

Guest Sere83

Guest Sere83

Hey guys,

Im running Swedish Spring RLS4 on my UK Gen1 OLED Orange San Francisco. It is causing me issues though. Namely does not roam from t-mobile to orange automatically when one is out of signal.

Takes ages to search for networks (am on t-mobile by must manually switch to orange at home due to lack of t-mobile reception), and some times doesn't find at all. Also sometimes apps hang over 3G amongst other small issues. Batteries no great either. I did full wipe before clockwork mod install.

Not a power user, really just need a solid stable OS, so no interest in overclocking etc

Just wondered would I see any real justifiable performance, speed and functionality improvements if upgrading to GEN2 then using a 2.3 Rom like CM7? Is it worth it?

Any help appreciated...

Guest Ralph Martin
Just wondered would I see any real justifiable performance, speed and functionality improvements if upgrading to GEN2 then using a 2.3 Rom like CM7?

I don't know about your roaming issue, but Ginger Stir Fry is a very noticeable improvement over Swedish Spring (even more than that was over the stock ROMs) in terms of speed and UI smoothness.

Guest k0zmic

You'll see an increase in speed and in terms of functionality there are a few new things.

You'd probably be best off with Ginger Stir Fry since you don't need overclocking and not too many extra features.

Use the TPT method on the Stir Fry page to upgrade to Gen 2 and install the ROM in one step.

Guest Sere83
<br />I don't know about your roaming issue, but Ginger Stir Fry is a very noticeable improvement over Swedish Spring (even more than that was over the stock ROMs) in terms of speed and UI smoothness.<br />

Thanks for the reply, how good would you say it was in terms of stability? Any major issues? Would you recommend it over CM7?

Edited by Sere83

Guest rockstarszzzz

Thanks for the reply, how good would you say it was in terms of stability? Any major issues? Would you recommend it over CM7?

Try both for yourself. I used GSF from B1 to B11. Then went to CM7 and am now back to B13 and am happy! (for now!)

I think stability, speed and battery are three key aspects in which I strongly feel GSF is better than CM7.

CM7 is better in performance (i.e. overclocking helps) and features (i.e. inbuilt extras).

If you don't mind not-overclocking and installing free apps from market instead of inbuilt features - than go for GSF, otherwise CM7.

PS: yours is 4th thread talking about same thing. This has been discussed 3 times before ;)

Guest Ralph Martin

Excellent stability, and I have not seen any major issues at all (and no obvious minor ones either) . I never tried CM7 as there always seemed a long list of things still to be fixed - and I wanted a "plain" experience. I used SS for a long time, and this is quite a bit faster than that even without overclocking, and adds some extra features like native SIP dialling.

Edited by Ralph Martin

Guest Sere83

Cool thanks for the info guys much appreciated. Ginger stirfry is looking like the one then. Oh yes also on Swedish Spring RLS4 my GPS didn't work either. Hopefully it may solve this.

Edited by Sere83

Guest EeppinenFailuri

Cool thanks for the info guys much appreciated. Ginger stirfry is looking like the one then. Oh yes also on Swedish Spring RLS4 my GPS didn't work either. Hopefully it may solve this.

It fixed for me. :D

Guest ShahinTehShiz

Hey guys,

Im running Swedish Spring RLS4 on my UK Gen1 OLED Orange San Francisco. It is causing me issues though. Namely does not roam from t-mobile to orange automatically when one is out of signal.

Takes ages to search for networks (am on t-mobile by must manually switch to orange at home due to lack of t-mobile reception), and some times doesn't find at all. Also sometimes apps hang over 3G amongst other small issues. Batteries no great either. I did full wipe before clockwork mod install.

Not a power user, really just need a solid stable OS, so no interest in overclocking etc

Just wondered would I see any real justifiable performance, speed and functionality improvements if upgrading to GEN2 then using a 2.3 Rom like CM7? Is it worth it?

Any help appreciated...

GPS should have been fixed in SS RLS5.

RLS4 was the first and only ROM I used when I got my OSF back in April, until last week when I went to GSF, it blew me away!

Its stable, quick, and is great on battery. I tried out CM7 2 days ago, but didn't like it as much as GSF, but the notification bar power widget was the only thing that I liked, but I switched back.

Now I just flashed Ginger Stir Fry B13 (I used it from B9), and it is the best you can get, and is getting better with every release!

ALSO: With your network issue, try texting "YES" to 2121, that activates the network sharing for T-Mobile and Orange, it happened to me aswell when I switched phones.

Hope this helps!

Edited by ShahinTehShiz

Guest Sere83
&lt;br /&gt;GPS should have been fixed in SS RLS5.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;RLS4 was the first and only ROM I used when I got my OSF back in April, until last week when I went to GSF, it blew me away!&lt;br /&gt;Its stable, quick, and is great on battery. I tried out CM7 2 days ago, but didn't like it as much as GSF, but the notification bar power widget was the only thing that I liked, but I switched back. &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Now I just flashed Ginger Stir Fry B13 (I used it from B9), and it is the best you can get, and is getting better with every release!&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;ALSO: With your network issue, try texting &quot;YES&quot; to 2121, that activates the network sharing for T-Mobile and Orange, it happened to me aswell when I switched phones.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Hope this helps!&lt;br /&gt;

Ooo, sweet! nice one. Will try texting. Is yours a Gen2 SF or Gen1?

Edited by Sere83

Guest ShahinTehShiz

Ooo, sweet! nice one. Will try texting. Is yours a Gen2 SF or Gen1?

Now its Gen 2, did the big step last week, but I was shocked at how stupid I felt because it was so easy to go to Gen2!