20 Jan Gr6 (V20o): MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X with Online Kitchen (stock+vanilla)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest AngelOfMors

After a few days (2-3 days), is slowly working phone and a very long activation wifi (15-20s), after a reboot everything is fine.

r26-EXT4 sad.gif

Edited by AngelOfMors

Guest Tsaglis

hi, I'm using GR5 core+stock, all's OK except I don't like the LG lockscreen. so I searched and tried to set in build.prop

user.feature.lock_andy=false

user.feature.lock_sui=true

but it's not working, the LG lockscreen is still there... anyone can confirm? any other way?

For the stock lockscreen you have to put also "sui=false". Sui is the new LG lock screen (a little more fancy than stock)

If you have both =false then you get the AOSP lock screen

For the stock lockscreen you have to put also "sui=false". Sui is the new LG lock screen (a little more fancy than stock)

If you have both =false then you get the AOSP lock screen

YEAH it works! thanks you :D

At beginning I want to say thank you Paul. The ROM is really great and with Toggle 2G it is very energy efficient. Very smooth in launcher. What to say, I am enjoying your work very much :) There is only one "problem" for me, maybe it would be better to call it question... ;)

I am running GR5 (baked in kitchen)+Stock Kernel+0725 V20l baseband. Rom runs great and baterry is pretty nice. But I am having problems with RAM. HD games seems less fluid than on older ROMs and Opera cant last in memory during for example SMS reading, so its starting again and again. My FreeRAM is always between 90 and 50 MB, which is not very much.

Anybody has diferrent Memory Management behavior? Paul, R u planning to build some more efficient ROM or you will stay at GR5 since there will be some new files from LG?

Thank you all very much for any information.

Guest RedeemerSK

After a few days (2-3 days), is slowly working phone and a very long activation wifi (15-20s), after a reboot everything is fine.

r26-EXT4 sad.gif

Check your free RAM (when the phone is slow), is it somewhere around 30 MB ? After that, restart the phone, does free RAM change significantly and does the phone become fast and responsive ?

I am running same kernel and I slowly become to think there may be some memory leaks (not necessarily in kernel) which slowly eats up from RAM until there's really so little left that every task means massive GC that helps just for few seconds.

Can anyone think of a method to evaluate this ?

EDIT: I do realize RAM is there to be used, I'm not free RAM whore. But 1 day after restarting the phone I am running exactly same background services and widgets the phone started with and free RAM - as shown in manage running services activity (does not count cached paused / stopped apps left in memory) - went from 120 MB after restart to 50 MB and list of cached apps is almost empty now (had to scroll before).

Edited by RedeemerSK

Just wanted to drop in and say a quick Hi!

Some of you may have noticed that i've released a few Galaxy Nexus bits of late... this doesn't mean i've abandoned the 2X! :)

Gr6 is in the works, however I am moving house on Friday so my time is extremely limited... just be aware it's coming.

Thanks for your ongoing support everyone!

P

Gr6 is in the works, however I am moving house on Friday so my time is extremely limited... just be aware it's coming.

Does this mean you have some even newer stock firmware basis to build something on?

Frankly I just want something that's stable, doesn't crash, doesn't eat batteries, etc. and then efforts to be going into ICS. I tend to want to wait to install a new ROM till things have settled down, but recently the ROMs never seem to hit that "it just works" level before attention switches to the latest and greatest point release.

Guest AngelOfMors
Check your free RAM (when the phone is slow), is it somewhere around 30 MB ? After that, restart the phone, does free RAM change significantly and does the phone become fast and responsive ?
More 100Mb... and the amount of RAM should not affect the time to connect to wifi

Guest SuperSkill

Just wanted to drop in and say a quick Hi!

Some of you may have noticed that i've released a few Galaxy Nexus bits of late... this doesn't mean i've abandoned the 2X! :)

Thanks for your ongoing support everyone!

P

Wow, you're the king. This will be worth waiting for :-)

Guest RedeemerSK

More 100Mb... and the amount of RAM should not affect the time to connect to wifi

Yup, I wasn't reacting to your WiFi problem, but rather that you said your phone got slowed down.

Just an update: I'm down to 30 MB free RAM with no apps left cached (as it's below oomadj threshold). As usual, same services / widgets running (RAM usage of those does not seem to change significantly). I'm starting to experience little slow downs. Something fishy with the RAM imho !

Is this normal behaviour (120 MB free to 30 MB free in 2 days) ?

I'll try to write down mem usage next time I restart (this evening), at least those from Android System Info app, maybe from some linux tool if I find any that is working (no luck with procrank). And then check values periodically. Or can anyone recommend an app that can paint mem usage graph ?

Guest SuperSkill

Gr6 hum?

5 minutes before you say that i wiped my o2x. If I had read before I would have waited :(

Well, most of us like to wipe and install often, testing and trying, tweaking and having fun with our phonesdry.gif

SuperSkilldry.gif

Does this mean you have some even newer stock firmware basis to build something on?

Frankly I just want something that's stable, doesn't crash, doesn't eat batteries, etc. and then efforts to be going into ICS. I tend to want to wait to install a new ROM till things have settled down, but recently the ROMs never seem to hit that "it just works" level before attention switches to the latest and greatest point release.

I think Gr5 is stable, doesn't crash, doesn't eat batteries personally...?

P

It's not imminent so don't feel bad. ;)

P

I've checked out the UK V20G and it looks like a slightly newer build than the EUR v20l (Oct 27 instead of Oct 20)

Will you be basing Gr6 on that, or is there not really any difference between the two?

Edited by rmein

P

I agree, i've lost data connectivity once or twice unsure about voice as I am not very popular lol, a restart fixes that, and non LG email client doesn't work on exchange, but installing v2.2. fixes that too. But a good every day build.

Steve

and Thanks Paul.

P

I was looking at looking at GR5 this weekend. There still seemed to be some postings about some questionable behaviour, but you get those no matter what it seems. However, if GR6 is worth the wait ......

Hi there,

I'm back from different kind of stuff : CM nightly, Topogigi, MIUI and the result is...Paul's cook-shop is essential. I baked a minimalist ROM, based on the Gr5 native kernel with last 725 radio, and it is rock solid. Gps, battery life, smoothness, and so on.

Many thanks Paul. Waiting patiently for Gr6 which will certainly be Gr8 ;-)

Okdac

I was looking at looking at GR5 this weekend. There still seemed to be some postings about some questionable behaviour, but you get those no matter what it seems. However, if GR6 is worth the wait ......

Guest encryptor20

Thanks for the update paul. Been wondering where you were. Love your work. Though if you could see if the 'ram dwindling down' problem could be fixed would be great. My phone's been suffering from that on gr5. Have to restart before playing dungeon defenders to get it running smooth without lag. Other than that everything else works like a charm. Speedier than gr4 as well.

Cheers!