ZTE-U V880 Gen2 ram unlock question

Guest vareBlade

Guest vareBlade

Ok so i got this ZTE-u v880 from @ZTEPress today morning and i checked it with Mr Pigfish which said Gen2.

i tried searching around the forums but i didnt find a way to unlock its RAM.

Does it work exactly like the ZTE Blade? (i mean is the -u v880 the gen2 version of ZTE Blade?)

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Ok so i got this ZTE-u v880 from @ZTEPress today morning and i checked it with Mr Pigfish which said Gen2.

i tried searching around the forums but i didnt find a way to unlock its RAM.

Does it work exactly like the ZTE Blade? (i mean is the -u v880 the gen2 version of ZTE Blade?)

why do you assume that it has RAM that can be unlocked? someone asked about this in the last few days. Someone needs to disassemble one and look inside to wee what RAM it does have before wasting time trying to unlock RAM that inst there

Guest Tom G

I did a quick test with mine and it didn't look good. I was hoping to play with it a bit more, but it doesn't look like that will be possible.

The new V880s use a new LCD panel that isn't supported by the kernel used in most roms. I've added support to my kernel source and uploaded a new CM7 kernel to support the new panel (its merged yet), but for other roms the maintainers will need to include the patch in their kernels (except for KonstaT's Triple Two Project which uses the ZTE prebuilt kernel from the rom that came preinstalled on the new V880s).

It almost certainly only has 256mb ram. Had a guy a couple of months ago that 'bricked' his v880 by flashing European firmware to it. Tried nearly every combination of firmware files to get it running again, narrowed it down to appsboot.mbn -> which is the part that tells android how much ram there is, it would only boot with the Chinese version that limits it to 256mb ram. The Chinese appsboot.mbn works fine on European blades, so it shouldn't be some other incompatibility causing that result.

They aren't like Greek Blades which are artificially locked to 256mb ram, I think the v880 really does only have 256mb.

Tom G, doesn't the new kernel source include the patch? Have ZTE ever heard of the GPL? We should have the exact kernel source used to build every single binary Linux kernel that they've ever distributed. Didn't you get a CD with source code on with your phone, or a written offer of who to contact to get the copy of the source code that you're entitled to?

Edited by wbaw

Guest hecatae

i think we need to ask ZTE_SeanJacko as these v880s were won from the @ZTEPRESS twitter competition and have been knowingly shipped worldwide, the rom they were released with is newer than the kernel source.

we need the rom version to give ZTE_SeanJacko the information to request from ZTE the new kernel source and the issue with the current source

Guest Tom G

The new kernel source does not include the patch and there has been a bit of discussion on here recently around this problem as new V880s show up (mostly because of the @ZTE_Press competition and those phones being won by people that frequent Modaco). ZTE have never been good at providing source, why should now be any different.

I've heard that the prebuilt gingerbread kernel doesn't support the new panel, so until rom maintainers add the patch to the other roms the choices for people with new V880s will be fairly limited (Konstat's rom or CM7).

Apparently the sensors don't work either in CM7. I'm not sure what the issue is there and my V880 is now dead, so it might be difficult to fix.

Screen patch

It should be different because it's a legal requirement, they're a big company & they shouldn't be shipping pirate software on their phones. I keep hoping that one day somebody from ZTE will read the GPL license agreement that they package in their roms & understand their obligations under it.

There's a new Hungarian 2.2.2 stock rom, that might support the new panels with it's pre-built kernel, if it does, then these new models might get to Europe soon.

No way to support them on the leaked pre-built .35 kernel by the look of it, because we don't have any source for it yet.

Edited by wbaw

Guest solidchips

I tried CM7 on a friend's new V880. It worked fine for a while until the phone went to sleep.

On pressing power button to wake it up, it ended up displaying some white lines on screen and never waked up.

I reinstalled my own modified Chinese 2.2.2 and it's up now without any problem.

Edited by solidchips

I tried CM7 on a friend's new V880. It worked fine for a while until the phone went to sleep.

On pressing power button to wake it up, it ended up displaying some white lines on screen and never waked up.

I reinstalled my own modified Chinese 2.2.2 and it's up now without any problem.

That's the bug that Tom G has patched, it should work in the latest nightly, or soon (if it's not been merged into cm7 yet).

Let us know if the sensors work, Tom G's new v880 died.

Guest Tom G

It should be different because it's a legal requirement, they're a big company & they shouldn't be shipping pirate software on their phones. I keep hoping that one day somebody from ZTE will read the GPL license agreement that they package in their roms & understand their obligations under it.

There's a new Hungarian 2.2.2 stock rom, that might support the new panels with it's pre-built kernel, if it does, then these new models might get to Europe soon.

No way to support them on the leaked pre-built .35 kernel by the look of it, because we don't have any source for it yet.

I don't think the new Hungarian rom does support the panel. I flashed it trying to unlock RAM, and although the ROM obviously didn't boot, the splash screen didn't display correctly and it should have, so the bootloader didn't support the panel (the reason the screen works on first boot is appsboot initialises the screen before linux starts, once linux is running and the screen has turned off the kernel needs to reinitialise it when it turns on, which wasn't working).

The kernel isn't merged in CM7 yet, but it is in gerrit if anyone wants to make their own boot image. The CM7 kernel won't work for other ROMs, so anyone wanting a working display for other ROMs will need to build the kernel from source (or hassle the ROM maintainer to add the patch to their kernel).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vareBlade

Sorry i left for some unexpected vacations. Did it get merged in CM7 yet? Will it be in a category of its own or do we download the blade nightly? Also can anyone leave a quick note on how to install cmod recovery on this phone?

Edited by vareBlade

Yes, I think it got merged a couple of days ago, try the latest blade nightly. Try Kallt Kaffe's modified z4root & then rom manager, or kallt's oneclickrecovery to get your phone rooted & clockwork installed.

Edited by wbaw