Would you recommend?

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Hello, I'm a fairly competent member of the Blade forums, and love my little phone, and was wondering about an upgrade.

I have been looking for phones that fall in the sweetspot of 4"ish screens, good CPUs etc. And, as the LG isn't quite as popular as some other phones, prices have fallen fast, especially ebay wise. Not to mention, the competition to win won of these phones, which was duly entered.

Now, I was wondering, is the phone any good? How's the size and weight, from user's perspectives? How's the software? As a huge supporter of CM7, I'd most likely put that on (if it's the best around, of course). I've heard the LG stock software ain't great, but do modded roms solve all that nicely?

Otherwise, thank you. And sorry for asking questions you've all heard possible a jillion times.

Guest jon.m.knight

Hi Dan,

You've certainly hit the nail on the head in regards to the stock ROM. I think the rave reviews out in the states for the G2X compared with the underwhelming receiption of the handset here in Europe pretty much proves that LG's software is at fault here. (vanilla vs LG ROM)

In terms of hardware - the build quality is really good. It's really solid and of a nice weight. The phone is really sleak and has nice rounded corners. If anything it sometimes feels a bit too smooth (if possbile) in my hand, as if it's going to slip out. I've got a gel case for it now.

There are reports of light leakage - which I'm personally unaffected by. The metal plate on the back casing (which has the google logo on it) is prone to scratches, literally within an hour of me opening the box it was scratched.

I'm personally really impressed with the camera, there's also a hacked version of camera.apk over on XDA which allow for higher bitrate video recording.

If you didn't know any better you'd intially think that phone speaker during calls is of a poor quality, however with each baseband / RIL update from LG it's become better & better (but still a bit disapointing).

So, software.. Don't be expecting anything past Gingerbread - which incase you've not read still hasn't been released yet - almost 4months now after the handset's launch date. From what Paul's said - LG's implementation of Froyo was very inefficient also, so it may take some time before a fully optimised GB Rom becomes available.

There's obviously MoDaCo based ROM's for it as well as CM7 & kangs. The miui ROM is also in beta stage so you've got the choice of 3 big hitters at least. Haven't tried anything other than stock or MCR as I've read CM7 is still full of holes.

They're pretty much all the key points I can think of tha you need to be made aware of. If you're a CM7 fan I'd highly recommend you read through the 'known issues' thread over on XDA to put yourself in the picture.

Not trying to put you off or anything, I personally love my 2x.

Edited by jon.m.knight

Excellent! Thank you very much good sir. I probably will go for CM7, as it's just good, especially as it's a decent Gingerbread rom on anything. And trust me, I have a complete understanding where you're coming from in getting good updates officially. The Blade isn't getting Gingerbread, and 2.2 was a struggle of porting it from different releases. At least Baseband doesn't have to be worried about...I assume that's the radio firmware, yes?

Thanks for the help!

Guest Macheath

@jon.m.knight

No joke! You have left over a very thin plastic wrap on the metal plate!

Trust me, it is there!

You know why? Because there are no scratches on the metal plate (very very hard to do some), these scratches are on the plastic wrap!

Guest Squide

@jon.m.knight

Trust me, it is there!

You know why? Because there are no scratches on the metal plate (very very hard to do some), these scratches are on the plastic wrap!

I leave mine with the plastic wrap and now using a TPU case...

the metal plate is so smooth that... it looks like it is highly attractive to scratches.

Guest hazzyhaz

I bit the bullet and upgraded my i900 omni to Optimus 2x and so far am loving it.

The price difference over here was about 40% cheaper than the Samsung SII, while i haven't tried the SII reckon this is much better value for money.

I'm running the FR19 froyo rom, haven't had any issues so far, its loaded with apps, runs everything smooth as butter (even playstation roms and HD games), beautiful to look at and i get solid battery life.

Its slightly big, but i like that because im not miss clicking on things and it's nice to read on. The weight is fine, i lie in bed for a few hours reading and browsing the web and it hasn't been cumbersome.

I will probably wait for a stable gingerbread rom before i update, because FR19 runs just fine.

Guest jon.m.knight

At least Baseband doesn't have to be worried about...I assume that's the radio firmware, yes?

Thanks for the help!

Yup, Baseband + RIL is equivilant to the radio I guess. The main difference being the way it's applied - You can't flash the baseband zip through recovery, it's an image applied via Nvidia / LG Flash utility.

@jon.m.knight

Trust me, it is there!

I stand corrected - I honestly never noticed that before!

Guest goatee

Hi Victor, I remember your excellent nightlies thread - I moved from a Blade to an Optimus 2X, and you won't be disappointed! In terms of ROMs, Pauls FR19 is superb, and actually, GR1 alpha is also more than good enough as a day to day ROM. I was delighted with CM7 on the Blade, but it's not there yet on the O2X. Finally, an official MIUI release for the Optimus 2X is due imminently :D.

Hello, I'm a fairly competent member of the Blade forums, and love my little phone, and was wondering about an upgrade.

I have been looking for phones that fall in the sweetspot of 4"ish screens, good CPUs etc. And, as the LG isn't quite as popular as some other phones, prices have fallen fast, especially ebay wise. Not to mention, the competition to win won of these phones, which was duly entered.

Now, I was wondering, is the phone any good? How's the size and weight, from user's perspectives? How's the software? As a huge supporter of CM7, I'd most likely put that on (if it's the best around, of course). I've heard the LG stock software ain't great, but do modded roms solve all that nicely?

Otherwise, thank you. And sorry for asking questions you've all heard possible a jillion times.

Excellent news. Thank you very much everyone. But yes...I saw that Gingerbread is out today, so that's very interesting. Exciting stuff. I'll hold out until the competition results come through, and when I inevitably lose, i'll buy one. Shame about CM7, but they'll get there, and of course there's lots of other excellent roms about.

And thanks for the thread compliment goatee :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi, I'm planning on getting an O2X, I'm currently using a Blade with CM7 N166. I love CM7, have any of you flashed CM7? I am so used to the feature set I don't see myself using a Froyo ROM.

I hope you have good things to say about CM7. Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

I think cm isnt quite ready for o2x yet.

check this forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1173229

Hi orlox, thanks for the link. Coming from the Blade, the O2X threads seem far more complicated, lot's of talk of Baseband's. (cellular radio firmware).

No problem, just more reading up to do. I guess once I get started I will have to see which ROM works best for my needs, and provides the highest stability.

Thanks. Anil.

i have tryed a lot of roms. The one that made me keep this phone and feel it worth the money i gave was the stock 10c 622 greek. Till then i had numerous of problems like random restarts and lagspikes.

And as you see at the pic at the memory thread the phone is fully loaded

Edited by orlox

Guest Brembo109

Hi there,

Ive used CM7, miui, Fr19 and Gr2 on my P990 and for my fr19 is the best one for everyday usage. On second place are CM7 and Gr2. But both have a few more and less big problems, even the speed is very great and i think in a few weeks one of the will get my preferred. The miui rom looks great and there are some pretty cool features, but it is full of lags and freezes.

At the end i love my O2x with Fr19 (especially the nice Forum Support and the kitchen for ad-free members) and the good material quality.

Edited by Brembo109