Having multiple ROMs and switching between them.

Guest Mama70

Guest Mama70

Sorry if this sound like a noob question but I've been installing VegaComb and Corvus-roms but because there's still some problems in Vegacomb it's not the best ROM yet.

So, is there a way to backup the current ROM completely to SD card and restore a different ROM from SD card? What is the easiest way to achieve this? Backup and restore ROM and the applications, settings etc.

It would have to backup also directories in SD card but only those that contain application data. When restoring the other ROM, these directories should be deleted but of course those directories containing the backups and other media files should be left.

And this all could be done without any USB-connections, so I quess you need CWM and some kind of backup software for applicatio data?

What is the right procedure for achieving this?

Guest sn0wwhite

Use cwm to save full backups and you'll be able to switch roms with ease all from ur vega

Edited by sn0wwhite

Use cwm to save full backups and you'll be able to switch roms with ease all from ur vega

In Corvus 5 you can get to CWM through the ROM manager app. Its on the shutdown menu in Vegacomb. But you can also do a full nandroid backup directly from ROM manager. The nandroid backup will include application configuration data, but if you want to backup files you've created, use titanium backup.

Guest Sam29

In Corvus 5 you can get to CWM through the ROM manager app. Its on the shutdown menu in Vegacomb. But you can also do a full nandroid backup directly from ROM manager. The nandroid backup will include application configuration data, but if you want to backup files you've created, use titanium backup.

Sorry for another noob question. I was exactly thinking about the same.

I started with vegacomb but as its not perfect and sometime bit laggy, so I tried Corvus 5. Brilliant ROM.

I would like to have both installed on my vega (not demandy ;) ) and would like to boot the one I like depending on where I am.

Now reading from what has been advised, how should I start? Followings are my questions:

1- I am using Corvus5 and having 4GB card. Do I need bigger card to have both ROMs saved on micro SD card?

2- I understand that I should go to ROM manager and do backup of Corvus, and later install vega comb and make backup for it too. Is that correct?

3- Then now in order to make back up, do I need to divide the memory card and if yes, then does the backups go under FAT32 or EXT parition?

4- Lastly how would I boot from these images? through CMW?

sorry being noob but would not like to disturb you guys again and again.

cheers.

Sorry for another noob question. I was exactly thinking about the same.

I started with vegacomb but as its not perfect and sometime bit laggy, so I tried Corvus 5. Brilliant ROM.

I would like to have both installed on my vega (not demandy ;) ) and would like to boot the one I like depending on where I am.

Now reading from what has been advised, how should I start? Followings are my questions:

1- I am using Corvus5 and having 4GB card. Do I need bigger card to have both ROMs saved on micro SD card?

2- I understand that I should go to ROM manager and do backup of Corvus, and later install vega comb and make backup for it too. Is that correct?

3- Then now in order to make back up, do I need to divide the memory card and if yes, then does the backups go under FAT32 or EXT parition?

4- Lastly how would I boot from these images? through CMW?

sorry being noob but would not like to disturb you guys again and again.

cheers.

1. No 4GB is fine. because each backup is about 130MB

2. Yes.

3. No, all backups made by CWM reside in the same folder.

3. Yes. Just choose 'backup and restore' from the main menu.

You'll be tempted to rename the backups; but do that in CWM not in the file manager. The reason is, there's a checksum file in the backup which takes account of the backupname. If you change the filename in the file manager, the checksum will be wrong and you won't be able to restore.

Edited by lesd

Guest Yogimax

It depends on the applications / games you have installed as they get included in the backup. My largest backup has been >750 Mb.

2 You'll be tempted to rename the backups; but do that in CWM not in the file manager. The reason is, there's a checksum file in the backup which takes account of the backupname. If you change the filename in the file manager, the checksum will be wrong and you won't be able to restore.

Or ROM Manager where there is an option to rename the backups.

Guest Sam29

2. Yes.

3. No, all backups made by CWM reside in the same folder.

3. Yes. Just choose 'backup and restore' from the main menu.

You'll be tempted to rename the backups; but do that in CWM not in the file manager. The reason is, there's a checksum file in the backup which takes account of the backupname. If you change the filename in the file manager, the checksum will be wrong and you won't be able to restore.

Cheers mate. Thanks for your help.

Just wondering, should I be doing partition of my micro SD card?

I read that it is good to have two partition, one EXT and one FAT32. Now if I have Corvus, can I still do the partition through CMW or ROM manager?

If yes will it affect the Corvus or ROM files/ User files? or I should be fine?

Cheers.

Guest premieral

Cheers mate. Thanks for your help.

Just wondering, should I be doing partition of my micro SD card?

I read that it is good to have two partition, one EXT and one FAT32. Now if I have Corvus, can I still do the partition through CMW or ROM manager?

If yes will it affect the Corvus or ROM files/ User files? or I should be fine?

Cheers.

i have a 16gb card i partitioned it through cwm as ext 3 as link2sd seemed to work better with this.

obviously i did this after copying all data to my pc. then once partitioned just copied it back and voila all working beautifully.

It depends on the applications / games you have installed as they get included in the backup. My largest backup has been >750 Mb.

>750MB? Crikey, I'm such a lightweight :D

Guest Sam29

Hi,

I cant find option under CWM to rename it. Can you kindly let me know how to do it?

Cheers.

Guest xathras

Hi,

I cant find option under CWM to rename it. Can you kindly let me know how to do it?

Cheers.

There is no rename option in cwm itself. Use ROM Manager (in app drawer); ROM Manager -> Manage and Restore Backups. A long press on the backup name brings up options including rename. Or make your backup using ROM Manager; it allows you to choose a name before making the backup

Another option is to create a new folder in File Manager with a descriptive name and place the backup in the new folder. An advantage with this solution is that you can add a text file to the folder with more extensive notes on the backup. I leave the original backups in clockworkmod/backup and make copies to my "Backup Folder".

Edited by xathras

Another option is to create a new folder in File Manager with a descriptive name and place the backup in the new folder. An advantage with this solution is that you can add a text file to the folder with more extensive notes on the backup. I leave the original backups in clockworkmod/backup and make copies to my "Backup Folder".

What a good idea!

Are you suggesting a dual boot of sorts? In which case. I'm looking for something similar

Sent from my Corvus5 SP1

Yes.

The basic idea is to create two backups of different installations. For example, Corvus 5 SP1 and CM7, then switch between them by restoring with ROM manager/CWM.

Guest Dave Marchant

While it is giving you access to more than one ROM, it isn't really dual booting in the normal sense. To switch ROM's you would need to backup the current one (otherwise any new settings / data would be lost) and then restore the alternate ROM and then reboot. I must admit that I do this from time to time, but it takes a while to switch over. Much less than loading from scratch however.

There isn't enough storage in the Vega to hold two live ROM's which would be needed to allow a choice at bootup in the traditional dual-boot sense.

Edited by Dave Marchant

I must admit that I do this from time to time, but it takes a while to switch over.

Probably about the same time as it takes to switch between ubuntu and Windows 7 on a PC ;).

I wonder how many times you can do it before the nvflash gives up.

EDIT Apparently non volatile memory is good for 100,000 cycles, so not a problem.

Edited by lesd