Newbie Installing ROM...

Guest David333

Guest David333

Hi there. I think I'm just looking for reassurance rather than asking for specific help. I have a Gen 1 OLED Blade, unlocked and now using giffgaff in the UK. I actually quite like the stock ROM but daily I keep on getting messages about my memory being too low. Whenever I add an app I have to delete one... It seems that the time is right to move to 2.2 in order that I can get some apps on my SD card, save space (and I quite like the idea of phone2chrome as well!).

I mainly use my phone for calls, texts, 3G/wifi and GPS. I sometimes watch youtube videos or videos I've downloaded and often listen to music. I don't bother with games on it.

I have been reading about the different ROMs and am quite tempted by Swedish Spring SRLS5. However, I keep on reading that it kills the battery. On stock, with wifi off and 3G on I get about a full day's usage. I don't mind charging every night, especially if I've been using my phone a lot, but I really don't want to be worrying about my battery after a few hours. How bad is Swedish Spring...? The other option seems to be FLB Froyo which has had good reviews, but fewer people seem to have it based on that poll which is floating around.

I've begun the process of installing a new ROM by installing clockwork using recovery manager (step one on the big guide). The next step of installing the ROM seems quite easy; however I haven't wiped anything and haven't backed anything up. My contacts are saved to Google; my SMSs I think I need to save somewhere (SMS Backup app?) and my apps I think I've read Titanium will sort out. Is that everything I need to worry about with saving?

Wiping before installing seems to be the way to go but it's not in the guide itself. Is that because Clockwork wipes the data and cache partitions automatically? Also, I have read on the forum about data partitions. Is that something I need to worry about...?

Sorry about the long list of questions. I have been reading through the forums; sometimes it's just difficult to know exactly what applies to me. Too much knowledge isn't always a good thing!

Thanks!

Guest TheManicGibbon

I was the same when I started out, it can be very overwhelming! I also understand your desire to stay on GEN1 to start with as I was the same, however I upgraded to GEN2 to use some Gingerbread ROMs, and found it a very painless process. If you're going to stay on GEN1, then Froyo is indeed your only option.

Your main choices are Swedish Spring, FLB or GingerFLB, my own ROM. Each has their own advantages. Some people say that performance (eg-gaming) is better in SS. Others say that FLB is generally more responsive and faster, with a better battery life. I haven't used SS myself, but for a while it was the most popular ROM on the forums so it must be good wink.gif

FLB is no longer in development and does have a few bugs such as sometimes having issues with root access. GingerFLB is built on the last release of FLB, with some tweaks to improve performance and give you greater battery life. It is also pre-themed, to look pretty much exactly like Gingerbread. Obviously I'm a wee bit biased, but my recommendation would certainly lean towards FLB or a derivative.

Make sure everything is backed up with Titanium or other apps for SMS etc. Wipe everything in Clockwork before you go to a new ROM. Wiping is not always required if you're upgrading the ROM to a newer version.

Good luck! And remember to have a look at stickies and such if you're stuck on something, if you ask a question that's been answered many times such as "Can I haz Flash nau?" then you will be killed by the trolls laugh.giflaugh.gif

Hope this helps.

Guest David333

Well, that's another reason to be upgrading: Flash is available on 2.2 isn't it? ;-)

Seriously, thank you for your (unbiased!) advice. I'm really quite happy on the stock ROM: I'm not too worried about gaming and don't want to overreach myself because I do use the phone on a daily basis. I just think sticking with Gen 1 and moving to Froyo is the best path to take to sort out the memory problems more than anything.

The root issues you mentioned on FLB wouldn't affect 'normal' apps, would they? I assume the apps I use (except to install new ROMs) don't actually need root access...

Guest David333

Trying to install a new ROM and I'm at the stage where you actually install it. First, I wanted to make a backup in Recovery Manager of everything but when I click on 'backup current firmware' it says that I need to install a custom recovery before I can backup firmware...

Guest David333

And now it says (once I've tried reinstalling the recovery thing): 'Sorry currently only ClockworkMod Recovery is supported for backing up your firmware'...

Guest hugobosslives

don't worry bout battery life, on SS or stir fry you will easily manage a day. most people even get over a day on cm7 which is the one of the worst for battery life (tho best for performance :P)

Guest David333

Thanks for the reassurance. I understand that I'm carrying around a mini computer so I really don't expect days. A solid fifteen hours would be nice!

Really struggling in recovery manager though...

Guest Yuccaman

Thanks for the reassurance. I understand that I'm carrying around a mini computer so I really don't expect days. A solid fifteen hours would be nice!

Really struggling in recovery manager though...

In a way I wonder if it would be easier for you to go to Gen 2 along side the excellent Ginger Stir Fry in an all in one TPT Step....

This only needs copying to your SD card and extracting and rebooting the phone with a few buttons held down, albeit follow the FULL instructions in the Ginger Stir Fry thread (in Post 1)....

I'm aware this is GEN 2 and Gingerbread which you weren't too bothered with, but an all in one TPT requires no flashing of a Recovery and other gubbins....

One of the other advantages of doing a TPT is that your phone partitions will be adjusted as well (Depending on the TPT you choose !!!) When I went to GEN 2, I ended up with over 300mb storage on the phone itself, without even factoring in moving apps to the SD Card....

If you're like me, you'll keep everything crossed when flashing. I think I am only on my fifth ROM, so I'm not an expert, but you do get more relaxed about things the more times you do them.

I went from stock to FLB Froyo and stayed with that for 5 months before finally taking the plunge on GEN2 when StirFry came out and have updated it 2 or 3 times although still on b14 for the moment, but b15 may end up on the phone in the next week (or b16 if wbaw continues his excellent work !!!!)

Guest David333

You may be right but I really want a stable release because it's important that my phone is always working. Stock obviously gives me that, although the full memory warnings now are causing me to move away from it. I haven't done anything like this before but I'm happy to follow instructions. It's just slightly worrying when recovery manager won't do what it is meant to! I was sure that I had followed the instructions exactly...

And now it says (once I've tried reinstalling the recovery thing): 'Sorry currently only ClockworkMod Recovery is supported for backing up your firmware'...

Boot into ClockworkMod and backup there.

Edited by De@n

In a way I wonder if it would be easier for you to go to Gen 2 along side the excellent Ginger Stir Fry in an all in one TPT Step....

I agree entirely with everything Yuccaman says. My wife's phone is much improved in terms of functionality, performance and stability (vs stock rom) now that I have done exactly this.

Guest David333

Boot into ClockworkMod and backup there.

Thanks for the help. I was following the guide (http://android.modaco.com/topic/329864-22may-guide-how-to-install-a-custom-rom-on-the-zte-blade-gen1/) and was at stage two: how to install a ROM using Clockwork via Recovery Manager. Am I right that you're suggesting skipping to stage three@ how to install using Clockwork manually? Any idea why the Recovery Manager route didn't work...?

I appreciate all the help and advice!

Thanks! Just wanted to be clear on what I'm actually meant to be doing. I'll report back!

Have you flashed a custom rom?

Edited by De@n

Guest David333

Have you flashed a custom rom?

Wow, that was easy! Thank you for your help. I backed up all of my apps through Titanium and am slowly reinstalling them. Everything looks as it did; it feels quicker; and I'm hoping to be able to move some apps to the SD card. I've checked and wifi and 3g both work. I shall test GPS but I'm not expecting any problems. The process really was quick.

I've gone for Swedish Spring (sorry ManicGibbon!) although I fear that I have the bug for flashing ROMs now!

Thanks again for all your help. Any problems and I'll be back ;-)

Guest ZBlade

[...] I'm hoping to be able to move some apps to the SD card. [...]

Imo the SS -roms should have a2sd already integrated, no need for apps2sd. Just make a primary ext2 or ext3 partition after your fat32 on the sdcard and everything works by itself.:D

Guest David333

Imo the SS -roms should have a2sd already integrated, no need for apps2sd. Just make a primary ext2 or ext3 partition after your fat32 on the sdcard and everything works by itself.:D

Oh, I just went to settings, then applications, then clicked on an app and on move to SD card. Should I mess around with partitions...?

Guest Yuccaman

Oh, I just went to settings, then applications, then clicked on an app and on move to SD card. Should I mess around with partitions...?

Only if you need even more space.....

It involves having a dedicated partition on your SD Card that takes the place of the /data partition on the phone.....

There is a good guide here to the various ways of getting more space:

Getting More Space

Personally, I have both adjusted my phone partitions (to give me a 329mb /Data partition) and use that with the basic Froyo Apps2SD - i.e what you have been doing.

Got far too many aps installed now (most of which are games and therefore very large). I have 180mb left of my /data partition and have 523mb of apps on the SD card via Apps2SD....

If you stick with Apps2SD and find you have some stubborn apps that won't allow themselves to move, grab Move2SD Enabler from the Market. This will allow you to move ANYTHING to SD using the Apps2SD feature.

Simply moving my Sat Nav of choice and a couple of stubborn games saved another 50mb of phone space. NOTE: Don't move anything that needs widgets etc to SD, but more instructions can be found on the Market for this app.

Guest David333

Thanks for the reply. At the moment, I reckon I'm okay with space but if I spot a few more apps I shall look into it. Thanks again...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David333

Just wanted to say thanks for all of your help. The new ROM works great and the battery is amazing now! I lose about 1% overnight with data switched off. On the stock ROM I used to lose so much. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest john.smith

May I ask which backup app did you use and was it done successfully?

I had my own Blade with CM7 but forgot how to migrate seamlessly from debranded Orange 2.1 ROM for my wife's Blade now.

I only have a night's time to do the upgrade for her mobile as I don't want to be scolded :P

Titanium backup seems good but do I need to restore *everything* afterwards? I mean, some stuff are for 2.1 only, right?

Thanks for the reply. At the moment, I reckon I'm okay with space but if I spot a few more apps I shall look into it. Thanks again...

Guest ColdEmbrace

May I ask which backup app did you use and was it done successfully?

I had my own Blade with CM7 but forgot how to migrate seamlessly from debranded Orange 2.1 ROM for my wife's Blade now.

I only have a night's time to do the upgrade for her mobile as I don't want to be scolded :P

Titanium backup seems good but do I need to restore *everything* afterwards? I mean, some stuff are for 2.1 only, right?

In titanium you can batch back up, just backup apps, because you don't want to transfer system data to a different rom

Guest David333

SMS Backup & Restore from Market to easily backup SMS to SD card.

Contacts I backed up through Google (although I did lose a couple; perhaps they were added after I did the backup - I'm not sure).

Apps I used Titanium to backup (batch as has been said). I have a feeling I backed everything up and then was careful just to restore normal apps and not system apps...