Access your PC desktop from your Vega

Guest trevor432990

Guest trevor432990

Hi all ... just thought I'd share with you my experience of the Splashtop Remote Desktop app which I've actually bought off the Android Market today. For those of us who like to use all our normal desktop applications but don't want to be sat by the PC to do them this is ideal.

What you get for your money ($4.99 currently) is an Android app which can connect to your home PC via your wi-fi network and reproduce exactly what is running on your PC at the time and you can then control it from your Vega so all your installed Office apps are available as well as video streaming (I'd recommend the DivX video player on PC as VLC didn't stream some formats correctly).

The thing I liked most about it is it's FAST and smooth with hardly any lag to speak of and it opens up a whole new raft of opportunity for using the Vega in ways I hadn't considered before.

Anyway, why not look it up on the market or go to their website and watch the demo video of it in operation as it shows what you can do and it really is that quick on the Vega.

If you have any probs or questions I'm more than happy to answer them otherwise I suggest we use this topic to swap ideas for those of us who actually decide to buy it ;)

P.S. For some reason the HD version of this app was indicating it was not compatible with the Vega so I'm using the standard version

Edited by trevor432990

Guest arnookie

Hi all ... just thought I'd share with you my experience of the Splashtop Remote Desktop app which I've actually bought off the Android Market today. For those of us who like to use all our normal desktop applications but don't want to be sat by the PC to do them this is ideal.

What you get for your money ($4.99 currently) is an Android app which can connect to your home PC via your wi-fi network and reproduce exactly what is running on your PC at the time and you can then control it from your Vega so all your installed Office apps are available as well as video streaming (I'd recommend the DivX video player on PC as VLC didn't stream some formats correctly).

The thing I liked most about it is it's FAST and smooth with hardly any lag to speak of and it opens up a whole new raft of opportunity for using the Vega in ways I hadn't considered before.

Anyway, why not look it up on the market or go to their website and watch the demo video of it in operation as it shows what you can do and it really is that quick on the Vega.

If you have any probs or questions I'm more than happy to answer them otherwise I suggest we use this topic to swap ideas for those of us who actually decide to buy it ;)

P.S. For some reason the HD version of this app was indicating it was not compatible with the Vega so I'm using the standard version

So does this stream sound to the Android device? Like when playing movies or mp3.

Till now I have never seen one do that yet. : O)

Guest trevor432990

So does this stream sound to the Android device? Like when playing movies or mp3.

Till now I have never seen one do that yet. : O)

Hi ... Must admit I'd not tried streaming .mp3 stuff to the Vega using the Splashtop app until you mentioned it as I was using it mainly for PC app access. Anyway I tried and like you suggested there was a problem and their support thread is full of queries in this respect. A lot seems to be down to whether your particular PC soundcard is compatible so if you let me know what that it I can check for you ?

Strange really because when I play video through my PC video card the sound and video come out perfect on the vega.

EDIT:- After re-reading the support thread it seems this sound problem may just be on Windows XP systems so if you are Vista or Windows 7 you will probably be ok. Have now managed to get MP3s to play OK though quality was a bit iffy so if this is one of your key needs best to try before you buy.

Edited by trevor432990

Guest xathras

For some reason the HD version of this app was indicating it was not compatible with the Vega so I'm using the standard version

Do you know what the difference is between the HD and Standard versions? Which ROM are you running it on?

Guest trevor432990

Do you know what the difference is between the HD and Standard versions? Which ROM are you running it on?

I am running the standard version on Advent Vega kernel 2.6.32.9_MCK_r2 and ROM r7

Lifted this paragraph from their website for the HD version ....

Remote Desktop HD for Android Honeycomb tablet 1.9.6.5 released

Splashtop Support Jul-18 • Splashtop Remote Official / Announcements

We have released Splashtop Remote Desktop HD for Android Honeycomb tablet 1.9.6.5. please upgrade to enjoy!

What's new:

* Now you can discover and remote access your computer over the Internet or 3G network!!!

* Enhanced bluetooth keyboard handling. You can do pairing or disconnection without interrupting a live session.

Not sure it's worth the extra money besides which we're not running Honeycomb and doubt if Vegacomb would support it

Guest simonta

Sounds very advertising like. Think we have a spam post here girls

Straight to the naughty step. Had you bothered to check out Trevor's profile, you would easily see that he is one of elder father's of this forum and is held in high regard.

Guest Panayioti

So to use this do you need to leave your laptop on and can you connect to it by any wifi say if your on the other side of the world.

Edited by Panayioti

Guest xathras

Could you write me a guide on how to do a post on a new app which I really like and wanted to share with other members so that it doesn't "sound very advertising like"? :P

Guest GabbaGabbaHey
Hmm - the OP has 1,376 posts (at time of writing), so if he's a spammer he's been an extremely patient one!!

Guest trevor432990

So to use this do you need to leave your laptop on and can you connect to it by any wifi say if your on the other side of the world.

At the moment it has been designed primarily to run on your home wi-fi with your PC logged in but you can access it remotely by tweaking your router settings to open up specific ports to the internet (though not tried this myself yet). They are developing the product all the time in response to peoples requests so future updates will make things easier for remote access and privacy like blanking PC screens when connected remotely and running the streamer as a Windows service etc.

Guest trevor432990

Thanks Simon for those kind words though I'm not sure about the 'elder' reference :lol: likewise Philip for your observation and Xathras too. We will educate people to look before they post next time. I'm off for a beer and video to calm down cya later ;)

Guest trevor432990

So what difference is there between this and say the more established and free teamviewer software.

Well I've not carried out a detailed comparison but from my own experience this one is very fast but I'd be interested to hear your own conclusions.

Guest simonta

So what difference is there between this and say the more established and free teamviewer software.

Personally, I prefer solutions that don't need a special server to be installed on my desktop and opened through my firewall (because I want access from outside my home). If I install Teamviewer, or a similar solution, then I am dependent on how secure/bug free that server is and it's another port or two I have open on my firewall. Therefore, I prefer RDP. It's built into Windows, is the most efficient way of getting remote access, way better than VNC, Teamviewer or similar, and has been around long enough for me to be comfortable that it's secure. All of my RDP enabled accounts have high security and are non-admin users so cannot use command prompt, registry editing etc so although I'm not inviting penetration testing (:)), I'm happy in a pragmatic way.

Of the RDP clients on the market, I've tried a few of the free ones and settled on 2X. The differentiation for me was in 2 main areas, mouse control and screen resolution handling. I chose 2X because of the former, it has a really well thought through on screen mouse (you can also just use the touch screen on the Vega but it's tricky on a high res screen). All of the others I tried failed in this area. There is then the screen resolution issue. All fail to some extent but 2X is the best I've found so far. It won't handle my main PC on 1920x1200 though and this is where the paid ones come in. I've read reviews for Splashtop and the Xtralogic client. Both seem to handle resolutions easily but Xtralogic is too expensive, I'll give Splashtop a try soon and report back.

Guest trevor432990

Thanks for the detailed appraisal of your setup Simon I'd be interested to understand how you go about setting up an RDP & 2X configuration so I can compare it with Splashtop as well so do you know if there are any good tutorials on the subject anywhere? ;)

Guest premieral

discourteous and rude in every way , if you had been a follower of this forum you would know that trevor has been and is still a very helpful contributor.

:angry:

oops just read the rest of the forum and seen that montage has been admonished by everybody else already.......red face all round :D

Edited by premieral

Guest simonta

Thanks for the detailed appraisal of your setup Simon I'd be interested to understand how you go about setting up an RDP & 2X configuration so I can compare it with Splashtop as well so do you know if there are any good tutorials on the subject anywhere? ;)

The setup is really easy. You just create a connection then specify either the machine name or IP address, the port (and if you don't know what that is, the default of 3389 will work fine), user ID and password. That's it!

BTW, 2X is the name of the app. It does not imply 2x speed and indeed, it's not the quickest I've seen but speed is not my main consideration. Fast enough is all I need ;)

Guest trevor432990

The setup is really easy. You just create a connection then specify either the machine name or IP address, the port (and if you don't know what that is, the default of 3389 will work fine), user ID and password. That's it!

BTW, 2X is the name of the app. It does not imply 2x speed and indeed, it's not the quickest I've seen but speed is not my main consideration. Fast enough is all I need ;)

Thanks Simon will have a go once I've finished getting used to Splashtop ;)

Edited by trevor432990

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xathras

I am running the standard version on Advent Vega kernel 2.6.32.9_MCK_r2 and ROM r7

Lifted this paragraph from their website for the HD version ....

Remote Desktop HD for Android Honeycomb tablet 1.9.6.5 released

Splashtop Support Jul-18 • Splashtop Remote Official / Announcements

We have released Splashtop Remote Desktop HD for Android Honeycomb tablet 1.9.6.5. please upgrade to enjoy!

What's new:

* Now you can discover and remote access your computer over the Internet or 3G network!!!

* Enhanced bluetooth keyboard handling. You can do pairing or disconnection without interrupting a live session.

Not sure it's worth the extra money besides which we're not running Honeycomb and doubt if Vegacomb would support it

Good news Splashtop HD runs on VegaComb test build 44.

Bad news In Settings -> Internet discovery it says "Internet discovery is an experimental feature and it is free for a limited time only.:(

Guest simonta

Good news Splashtop HD runs on VegaComb test build 44.

Bad news In Settings -> Internet discovery it says "Internet discovery is an experimental feature and it is free for a limited time only.:(

It needs a bit of knowledge and understanding to setup but DynDNS has a great free service which removes the need for discovery.

http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-free/

Guest trevor432990

It needs a bit of knowledge and understanding to setup but DynDNS has a great free service which removes the need for discovery.

http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-free/

Good news about the Splashtop HD working on Vegacomb I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it and if the change in screen definition is 'really' noticeable?

I used Dyndns for a while for getting a static address for a home webcam. Back then you had to remember to login to your dyndns user periodically to keep your free subscription running. Not sure if it's still the same process?