Post to end all confusion: ROM or update?

Guest Moxo6

Guest Moxo6

I am well and truly confused.

I have established that r8 is an update (not a rom)

And I'm sure that vegacomb is a full rom.

But what about corvus5? Does it make and difference which rom we had prior to installing it?

Sent from my Corvus5 SP1

Guest simonta

I have a horrible suspicion that this will not ease the confusion.

There are 2 ways to flash. The first is using recovery (NOT clockworkmod - another source of confusion!) - the stock recovery back for 2 seconds, power for 2 seconds etc. A ROM installer can then use NVFLASH.EXE to flash the memory. So if you use recovery, you are flashing regardless of what you're installing. At the moment, the stock Advent ROM is the only thing installed in this way.

The second method is to use ADB to call a flashing utility built into Android (or maybe even call it directly on the Vega). To see this, open up install-windows.bat in the Corvus5 install. The only flashing done in the install is for the boot image right at the end.

Corvus5 is therefore not a ROM but is an update. It replaces some files already on the Vega, add some and modifies others.

To start from scratch, you would have to flash the stock ROM then install Corvus5. It would be bad practice to come from another "ROM" to Corvus5 without flashing first as you would end up with some untested Frankenstinian hybrid.

Guest BlackTigerX

Corvus5 updater-script line 18-23:

ui_print("Erasing system...");

delete_recursive("/system");

show_progress(0.500000, 0);

ui_print("Writing system...");

package_extract_dir("files/system", "/system");

The _whole_ ROM is on system so it get's replaced completely, a new kernel get's flashed aswell later in the script. So nothing is left after that flash apart from your files in data.

Corvus5 SP1 though is just an update for Corvus5 which replaces some system files and installs a new kernel.

Edited by BlackTigerX

Guest simonta

Corvus5 updater-script line 18-23:

ui_print("Erasing system...");

delete_recursive("/system");

show_progress(0.500000, 0);

ui_print("Writing system...");

package_extract_dir("files/system", "/system");

The _whole_ ROM is on system so it get's replaced completely, a new kernel get's flashed aswell later in the script. So nothing is left after that flash apart from your files in data.

Corvus5 SP1 though is just an update for Corvus5 which replaces some system files and installs a new kernel.

Yeh,it's all a bit esoteric. I'm of the school that unless it's flashed/formatted, then it's not a ROM :)

Probably easier to think about pre-requisites rather than ROM or not. Personally, I always flash stock ROM before installing anything else and use nandroids to switch between them.

Guest Moxo6

Yeh,it's all a bit esoteric. I'm of the school that unless it's flashed/formatted, then it's not a ROM :)

Probably easier to think about pre-requisites rather than ROM or not. Personally, I always flash stock ROM before installing anything else and use nandroids to switch between them.

Right, I think I get it. So... Corvus5 is still an update, but it just happens to be an exceptional one that replaces every file?

Correct me if I'm wrong of course.