In-car GPS problem

Guest mankian

Guest mankian

I been using my o2x in the car as a GPS. Using google maps with GPS & mobile data enabled (obviously) whilst being connected to the car charging socket with a usb adapter.

Has anyone else noticed whilst in Navigation mode the phone uses considerably more battery than what it is able to receive by the charger? Its that hungry its loosing battery charge whilst on a 5v 1amp charger!

Just want to know if I am the only one (and its probably my car that has the issue) or if others noticed it too...

Cheers!

Guest AnonymousPengiun

I been using my o2x in the car as a GPS. Using google maps with GPS & mobile data enabled (obviously) whilst being connected to the car charging socket with a usb adapter.

Has anyone else noticed whilst in Navigation mode the phone uses considerably more battery than what it is able to receive by the charger? Its that hungry its loosing battery charge whilst on a 5v 1amp charger!

Just want to know if I am the only one (and its probably my car that has the issue) or if others noticed it too...

Cheers!

You probably have a really bad charger that is putting out less than 1000mA - is it a generic Chinese charger?

Guest aMpeX

Got that problem, too. However the charging station is the Media Port of my Infotainment system, so I guess it is not crunching out enough power.

You can improve this by turning the phone into airplane mode while navigating. The Maps application downloads all necessary tiles beforehand, so when the navigation starts, you don't need any more data as long as you stay on your route.

This gave me about 5-10% drain per hour, which is acceptable for longer rides.

Guest mankian

I'm guessing that media port would give only a standard 500ma ? its a generic charger but it says 1a on it. could be lying but i tried a belkin one too with similar results

Guest mankian

just an update: also happens with the official LG car charger, though not nearly as bad!

i often drive in foreign countries many miles though. so it isnt good enough, absolutely gutted

Guest morckx

Can it be that the problem only occurs when the battery is hot?

I had this problem the last time when I had Fr18 with some OC and when my car air conditioning was broken.

M.