Sensation S-OFF and ROOT released

Guest theboxman

Guest theboxman

Hi all,

For those of you that don't yet know team Alpharev and unrEVOked have teamed up and today they released a developer version of S-OFF for us all along with a zip to flash to gain root.

Edit: To help one of our members I wrote a brief guide in a later post. To aid people in finding it I'm editing my first post to place the guide here. For posterity I've left my original post beneath.

---------------

No problem :-)

So the proceedure is:

1. Install the HTC Drivers if necessary from here http://downloads.unr...er3.0.0.007.exe

2. If you want to root your device (why wouldn't you) then Download this zip http://goo-inside.me...efgh-signed.zip and transfer it to the root of your SD card. (by for example connecting your phone and choosing to use the SD card as USB storage then dragging and dropping the file).

3. Switch on USB Debugging in the settings menu and connect phone in Charge Only mode (not HTC sync or the USB storage mode).

4. Download then run revolutionary from http://revolutionary.io (exact link not given as you'll need to be on that website to generate the beta key).

5. Run the revolutionary.io tool. It'll tell you your serial number (in square brackets) and your bootloader version will also be identified (subversion in the device name - else you can find it by restarting your phone into the bootloader).

6. Enter your phone model (presumably HTC Sensation if you're reading this), the operating system you're using (linux or windows), your bootloader version and your serial number into the form which appears when you download the file on the revolutionary.io website.

7. This will generate a unique beta serial which you should now cut and paste into the running program. (this will prevent errors). Make sure you don't accidently highlight a space before or after the key, or a new line. To paste right click on the top of the cmd.exe window and go to Edit > Paste. (If you're running linux right click anywhere on terminal and choose paste).

8. S-off should be installed automatically from here on. A few restarts will be involved. Let it finish. When it's finished it'll leave you in the boot loader....

9. Revolutionary will prompt you for whether you wish to flash a custom recovery (I'd choose yes if I were you!)

10. When that's complete if you don't want to root the device then you're done... if you do then choose 'Recovery' from the bootloader menu on the phone (volume up and down to select it , then the power volume to choose it)

11. Create a backup from the recovery first! (technically optional)

12. Then choose to flash a zip from the SD card scroll down to the file su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip which you placed there at step 2 , choose yes to confirm.

13. Once it's finished flashing navigate through the bootloader menu to restart device and you're done. Rooted and S-OFF.

14. Await increadable custom ROMS to install ;-)

----------------Original Post----------------

The tool can be downloaded at:

http://revolutionary.io

right now (as it's a beta release) you'll need to generate a beta key for the software ( which uses your serial - don't worry about switching the phone off and taking the battery out to get the serial number as the program will tell you the serial you need to enter when run).

Best of luck all! Hopefully we'll see one of the famous MoDaCo custom roms coming out soon enough ;-) (no pressure Paul of course!)

I can confirm it works and I'm currently enjoying S-OFF with clockwork recovery mod (which the revolutionary will prompt you to install) and I'm rooted (and we're not talking the RW perma-temp root method - this one won't disappear it's a propper perm-root).

Many thanks to the teams involved! and hope this information helps someone!

PS - If you're on windows you'll need the fastboot drivers installed. You can find those and the zip file which you'll need ot flash from recovery to gain root linked on this page (in the common problems & questions section):

http://unrevoked.com...c/revolutionary

I'll try and find time to produce a spanish translation of the guide for our spanish friends soon! :-)

Edited by theboxman

Guest Rob Watson

Thanks for update. What are the exact steps required to install S-OFF and flash to gain root.

Install HTC Drivers on Windows PC

Plug phone into PC (on or off?)

Run revolutionary.exe (does this give root automatically or is their another zip file i need to download?)

Put in new serial number (generated from site) when prompted

Is there any steps missing from above?

Thanks in advance for help

Guest theboxman

No problem :-)

So the proceedure is:

1. Install the HTC Drivers if necessary from here http://downloads.unr...er3.0.0.007.exe

2. If you want to root your device (why wouldn't you) then Download this zip http://goo-inside.me...efgh-signed.zip and transfer it to the root of your SD card. (by for example connecting your phone and choosing to use the SD card as USB storage then dragging and dropping the file).

3. Switch on USB Debugging in the settings menu and connect phone in Charge Only mode (not HTC sync or the USB storage mode).

4. Download then run revolutionary from http://revolutionary.io (exact link not given as you'll need to be on that website to generate the beta key).

5. Run the revolutionary.io tool. It'll tell you your serial number (in square brackets) and your bootloader version will also be identified (subversion in the device name - else you can find it by restarting your phone into the bootloader).

6. Enter your phone model (presumably HTC Sensation if you're reading this), the operating system you're using (linux or windows), your bootloader version and your serial number into the form which appears when you download the file on the revolutionary.io website.

7. This will generate a unique beta serial which you should now cut and paste into the running program. (this will prevent errors). Make sure you don't accidently highlight a space before or after the key, or a new line. To paste right click on the top of the cmd.exe window and go to Edit > Paste. (If you're running linux right click anywhere on terminal and choose paste).

8. S-off should be installed automatically from here on. A few restarts will be involved. Let it finish. When it's finished it'll leave you in the boot loader....

9. Revolutionary will prompt you for whether you wish to flash a custom recovery (I'd choose yes if I were you!)

10. When that's complete if you don't want to root the device then you're done... if you do then choose 'Recovery' from the bootloader menu on the phone (volume up and down to select it , then the power volume to choose it)

11. Create a backup from the recovery first! (technically optional)

12. Then choose to flash a zip from the SD card scroll down to the file su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip which you placed there at step 2 , choose yes to confirm.

13. Once it's finished flashing navigate through the bootloader menu to restart device and you're done. Rooted and S-OFF.

Edited by theboxman

Guest Kalle Falter

about that: is Paul going to heat up his kitchen for the Sensation? I heard no mention about that and in here it is so quiet. That was different, back then in the Hero Forum :)

OT: This new site seems very slow, anyone else experiencing this?

Guest theboxman

about that: is Paul going to heat up his kitchen for the Sensation? I heard no mention about that and in here it is so quiet. That was different, back then in the Hero Forum :)

Paul astounded me with his speed on the HTC Desire forums (it was seeing the way he put himself all out into cracking the HTC Desire and then creating the best most stable ROM out there that made me pay for AdFree to say thank you) as well back in the day but yes things seem quite slow here. It's a shame as the guy is so skilled I'll think three times before installing anything other than MoDaCo custom.

Anyway hopefully he'll get round to it although let's not forget Paul has a life too :-) and there'll be a thousand other devices awaiting his attention (none quite as juicy as the HTC Sensation mind you! There's so much potential to be unlocked in this thing!

I'm not a tremendous fan of the new look but it's growing on me slowly.

Cyanogenmod 7 is coming out for the sensation, exciting stuff!

http://androidspin.com/2011/08/02/cm7-hits-the-htc-sensation-already-video-evidence-now-available/

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest simonp2

So long as you have HBOOT 1.18.0000 yes it will work fine

excellent just rooted and s off my htc sensation xe it had the hboot 1.18000 followed guide job done, going to keep stock for now but will start looking round for light roms , I loved the oxygen rom I run on my htc desire. I did ask Paul on twitter if he planned any mcr roms for the sensation as Im sure i read on there he had one, but he is also moving house and with Christmas coming up we will have to see I guess.

Guest MIKEYMC

Is there any possibility this can mess up your IMEI code?

Just messed up a Galaxy S by not backing up properly and ruining my IMEI. Want to backup my Sensation XE stock state in case I have any problems in the future. From What I have read rooting is the only way to be able to do a proper backup of the full ROM.

I assume rooting voids warranty?

Is it easy to uninstall root? Was very easy to do on the Galaxy S.

• 1 month later...
Guest dreamnej

hi

my hboot 1.20.0000. and phone is s-on. what do I have to s-off. "s-on," I did the wrong procedure. I can not be re s-off

bootloader : unlock (htc dev)

version 1.45.468.1 orjinal turkey ruu

root there

radio :11.59.xxxxxxx

P58IMG.zip : not install

thank you

Edited by dreamnej

• 1 month later...
Guest abi.rina

<font class="Apple-style-span" size="5">please &nbsp;I need help ???&nbsp;<br><br>when I run revolutionary it says to me that my hboot version is unknown waht to do ?????</font>

Edited by abi.rina