Playing with the official Desire Gingerbread update

Guest PaulOBrien

I thought i'd start a topic about my findings on the official Desire Gingerbread update.

Thoughts so far (to be updated as I go)...

• Conventional RUU with ROM update, extractable
  • odexed (makes sense to save space on /data)
  • app dir is 105MB, I optimised down to 83MB with nothing removed
  • Teeter, HTC wallpapers and the Flashlight app are removed for manual install, my optimisations mean they can go back in
  • I flashed without hboot first so I can check for partition changes. My (probably old) 0.93.001 alpharev hboot has system at ~256MB, data at ~151MB and cache at ~41MB. (gonna flash the udpated hboot now)
  • Update contains hboot, system, userdata wipe, recovery, splashes and radio image.
  • Post update hboot is 1.02.0001
  • Partition sizes not changed by new hboot

More to follow! :)

P

Guest ptdborth

Crisis averted! ;)

P

Ha, just saw your tweet re. flashing new 2.3 and did wonder whether they'd updated the HBOOT or not..clearly its still rootable/S-Offable? Or is it a case of flashing an old RUU and using the alpharev tool?

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it!

Cheers. Paul

Flashing the hboot was a bad idea... I'm stuck without permroot now and the hboot isn't downgradeable either, erk!

It's not alpharev compatible yet either...

P

Guest ogiogi

Flashed the 2.3.3 RUU and I'm happy with it so far. Scrolling is smoother overall in menus, app drawer and screens. Battery life seems improved. Fast Boot and restart options are added. Also the flip clock is animated. All the G-apps are updated, no new market tho. Sense version remains the same (no fancy themed Sense). Quadrant scored 1025.

P.S. Needs root and A2SD so Go Paul :P ...

Guest Deejay

+ 1 B)

+ 1 here also!

Is it best to upgrade now (seems ages since HTC made their upgrade announcement)with this or wait a little for mods to hack this?

Cheers,

Dave

Guest ogiogi

+ 1 here also!

Is it best to upgrade now (seems ages since HTC made their upgrade announcement)with this or wait a little for mods to hack this?

Cheers,

Dave

If you are a custom rom user wait for Paul's MCR, if you want stock Gingerbread upgrade now.

Guest Sally Mack

Thanks for following up with the development of this phone Paul; We realize that this is already an outdated model, and you have newer toys to play with. I was hoping they'd upgrade to a stripped down version of sense 2.1, but it appears that's not the case. If you release an MCR, I might just need to make the tradeoff back to sense 1.9 though ;) (currently using a rom based on Desire S)

Gingerbreak works for temproot... which is nice...

P

Which version of Gingerbreak did you use? And how many minutes it takes to make temproot?

Guest gforums

just a short question, as I am not really sure about this:

Can I still root the desire in an easy way after updating to the official gingerbread release?

thanks!

Guest Pdragon

just a short question, as I am not really sure about this:

Can I still root the desire in an easy way after updating to the official gingerbread release?

thanks!

I am curious about that too.

I upgraded to GB last night and it seems worth it to me. much smoother and faster. Also really like the new 'copy and paste', Sooooo much more usable.

I have yet to see what the battery improvements are like as I have been using it a lot this morning. But unplugged overnight it did not drop battery that much. Too early to tell on how much better it is but others have mentioned online that they liked it.

All in all, easy to do and worth it over all.

If you didn't upgrade, you would not lose a night's sleep over it though.

Guest Andrea Florio

Gingerbreak works for temproot... which is nice...

P

please tell us how. i need root on my phone, or at least downgrade hboot so i can go back to froyo.

thank you very much.

Guest Raz2133

please tell us how. i need root on my phone, or at least downgrade hboot so i can go back to froyo.

Downgrading HBoot shouldn't be too difficult, provided we can get root, even temp root should suffice.

Paul mentioned using GingerBreak for temp root, but I have been unable to duplicate that.

I used ADB to push GingerBreak to the Desire, and it seems to do its thing without throwing an error, but still no root. :(