Playing with the official Desire Gingerbread update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Andrea Florio

Downgrading HBoot shouldn't be too difficult, provided we can get root, even temp root should suffice.

Paul mentioned using GingerBreak for temp root, but I have been unable to duplicate that.

I used ADB to push GingerBreak to the Desire, and it seems to do its thing without throwing an error, but still no root. :(

as soon as we have even temp root.

i used both gingerbreak 1.20 apk and gingerbreak exec to use from adb shell.. they both "keep working" but none succed.

$ ./GingerBreak

[**] Gingerbreak/Honeybomb -- android 2.[2,3], 3.0 softbreak

[**] (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew. All rights reserved.

[**] Kudos to jenzi, the #brownpants-party, the Open Source folks,

[**] Zynamics for ARM skills and Onkel Budi

[**] donate to [email protected] if you like

[**] Exploit may take a while!

[+] Plain Gingerbread mode!

[+] Found system: 0xafd1800d strcmp: 0xafd3809d

[+] Found PT_DYNAMIC of size 232 (29 entries)

[+] Found GOT: 0x00014360

[+] Using device /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0

[*] vold: 0066 GOT start: 0x00014360 GOT end: 0x000143a0

ideas?

Guest Raz2133
i used both gingerbreak 1.20 apk and gingerbreak exec to use from adb shell.. they both "keep working" but none succed.

The output you posted is exactly what I am seeing as well. I left it for more than half an hour and it doesn't progress any further.

My understanding is that the apk versions of GingerBreak are only really useful for those with S-OFF, but I was hoping that the executable could provide at least temp root access via ADB. I also tried a couple of other temp root procedures that are known to work on other Gingerbread equipped phones, but I didn't have any luck with them either.

For now, I guess we'll have to wait for Paul to detail exactly how he obtained root.

As I said in my previous post; Once we have root, downgrading HBoot *should* be a relatively simple procedure. Changing the mainver in the Misc partition to a previous firmware version *should* allow us to run a previous RUU without error and downgrade.

Guest longy92

just a short question, as I am not really sure about this:

Can I still root the desire in an easy way after updating to the official gingerbread release?

thanks!

No permanent rooting method yet. By getting the GingerBread RUU you're updating the HBOOT and it's not rootable, as of yet.

I couldn't wait for the new GingerBread and didn't want the official as it was unrootable and had old Sense, so I headed over to XDA where there are devs who are more capable than HTC by the looks of it. They implemented Sense 2.1 into GB with some aspects of 3.0. It's awesome! I really like it. I liked having a kitchen here, but until there is one for GB, I'll stick with what I got, and I'll let Paul whip up some kind of MCR and see where that takes me :)

Anyone who can't wait for GB and wants new Sense, I'd recommend Reflex S, it's got a link in my sig. Great ROM :)

Ian

Guest longy92

our question infact is.. how?? :D

I thought my internet was being retarded and it didn't post. So I did it again and then they were both there with another post inbetween!

I'm properly confused now. I successfully used Gingerbreak to downgrade yesterday and now it won't work! I'm doubting my own sanity now! :blink:

P

Guest Raz2133

I'm properly confused now. I successfully used Gingerbreak to downgrade yesterday and now it won't work! I'm doubting my own sanity now! :blink:

P

I've had days like that too :)

Can I ask how you were running GingerBreak when you were successful? via ADB or APK?

I've tried everything I can think of with GingerBreak, with and without SD-Card, freshly formatted SD-Card etc (all suggestions found via google). and still cant get that ellusive # prompt.

Guest Andrea Florio

I only ever run it via ADB. I'm wondering if I was running a different boot image or something now. Strange. :blink:

P

that is sad... i need root on that phone.. i work with openvpn and i can't use it anymore.. UUURGH!!

you were my only hope..

I cant get root via Gingerbreak.

If your phone is s-on you cant root with Gingerbreak. You have to wait for Unrevoked new release or other method to root!

Guest Shiva Ramabadran

gah! should have checked here before applying the update. Now I'm stuck without a permaroot. Didn't HTC say they would unlock bootloaders forever and release a tool soon to do that ?

Guest patmaru

I flashed HTC's legit Gingerbread, after backing-up the contents of my phone with Titanium. Works great !

Except I can't access my backup anymore (S-On) , can't root the darn thing either.

My apps and data are on the flashcard. Any hack to get out of this Titanium mess ?

Guest RubenR6

Just read on a dutch forum that the unrevoked / alpharev guys will release a new version of their root/s-off tool, probably next week, with support for the desire new hboot! http://revolutionary.io/

The dutch forum post: http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/36540480#36540480 Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Edited by RubenR6

Guest RubenR6

------------

Revolutionary 0.4pre is live! Support all GB roms, new devices: Thunderbolt, Evo 4G, MT4GS, Evo 3D GSM! revolutionary.io #Revolutionary

------------

• 2 weeks later...