VegaComb Test43-RC3

Guest xathras

Guest Melted

yep, my speaker also is broken.

It's only with this rom, or is permanent? I mean, if I go back to Vegacomb, will my speaker work correctly or is totally broken?

The rest: Link2 sd works fine, but I didn't manage to put this rom in host mode, is this option aviable? Great job!

Guest Minimonkey

yep, my speaker also is broken.

It's only with this rom, or is permanent? I mean, if I go back to Vegacomb, will my speaker work correctly or is totally broken?

The rest: Link2 sd works fine, but I didn't manage to put this rom in host mode, is this option aviable? Great job!

Permanent

Guest richardmlea

Doh!

If loads of people start sending Vega's back with fried speaker wont DSG get wise to what caused it? DSG are very aware of this forum so they may not repair it under warrenty.

Hope you get it repaired for free but if you dont replacing the speaker yourself should be easy.

These are very similar if not identical to the Vega's speakers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hi-GRADE-LAPTOP-8615-PAIR-SPEAKERS-HI1-/160394981559?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D260732132683%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1850338558365993027&_qi=RTM796044

and if your feeling lucky you could try these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOBLOT-10-INTERNAL-LAPTOP-SPEAKERS-TESTED-WORKING-/320447601149?pt=UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&hash=item4a9c2a59fd

Vega Speaker

speakeru.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Good luck

P.S. hope the ebay links are ok

Edited by richardmlea

Guest dumbo11

Vega Speaker

speakeru.jpg

Good luck

Yep - I took mine apart earlier - for me, the central part of the speaker (the ring) has separated from the surrounding material. Other than that, everything looks in good shape (it still smells horrible though).

For me, the speaker is lightly glued in or forced, they both came out relatively easily with a screwdriver - and it would be trivial to replace with the same part.

Guest kinobe

Sorry to hear of all the speaker issues people are having. just to say that mine seem ok, but i've not pushed it beyond 50%

On a positve note, the Modaco forums seem to be much slicker on this ROM in desktop mode. But typing seems to be very laggy - using hackers keyboard or built in.

[Edit - very laggy on desktop version, slightly laggy on tablet version]

[Edit 2 - Not just here, laggy on TabletRoms too, so a browser issue I guess...]

Edited by kinobe

Guest kinobe

If loads of people start sending Vega's back with fried speaker wont DSG get wise to what caused it? DSG are very aware of this forum so they may not repair it under warrenty.

It would be nice to think that they'd honour the warranty because without the dedicated time of all the devs the Vega wouldn't be their 2nd best selling tablet. If it wasn't for Modaco and TabletRoms developers I certainly wouldn't have broken a promise I made to myself never to cross DSGs palms again ;)

But I live in my own little world.

Kinobe

Guest HypoTurtle

Had a look in setprop (was trying to find what setting were set in persist.tegra.dpy5.mode.width|height but couldn't find them). Noticed that lcd_density.xdpi and lcd_density.ydpi were set at 160 and lcd_density was set at 120; shouldn't they all be set to 120??

Guest phil8715

Doh!

Hope you get it repaired for free but if you dont replacing the speaker yourself should be easy.

These are very similar if not identical to the Vega's speakers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hi-GRADE-LAPTOP-8615-PAIR-SPEAKERS-HI1-/160394981559?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D260732132683%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1850338558365993027&_qi=RTM796044

and if your feeling lucky you could try these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOBLOT-10-INTERNAL-LAPTOP-SPEAKERS-TESTED-WORKING-/320447601149?pt=UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&hash=item4a9c2a59fd

Vega Speaker

speakeru.jpg

Good luck

I would doubt it very much, most people at DSG can't even read or write. That's why they employ thickos. Kevin Rae, who comes on here, is of course pretty clued up, but apart from that most DSG employees wouldn't have a clue this forum exists.

Guest simonta

I would doubt it very much, most people at DSG can't even read or write. That's why they employ thickos. Kevin Rae, who comes on here, is of course pretty clued up, but apart from that most DSG employees wouldn't have a clue this forum exists.

Not my experience at all. I've heard DSG employees actively promoting Modaco when customers have queried lack of market etc. Many people on here have said that only the existance of this forum, which was pointed out to them by the sales guys, led them to a Vega.

Guest ThomasAstor

My local PCWorld branch has AUDI and Modaco installed on their laptop. I can go there at any time. The guys are on XDA. And they can read and write, even count :)

They have been helpful on few occasions. They did try and if one of them could not answer, the other would do.

Of course, there is an a@se there too, but just ignore him..

Guest danb79

just a note on the speaker issue, i havent used this rom yet but i had the same prob on the corvus5 rom but was caused by an app RD3 grovebox . it played louder than anything else but i noticed my hand was getting hot ! the left speaker must have gotten to much current and turnd the coil into a heating element! I wonder if its a hardware problem of the amp in our vegas?

Guest richardmlea

Looking at the build quality of the speakers its probably just that the speakers are not good enough for the amp.

The right speaker wire is much shorter that the left (4cm for the right, 35cm for the left}. If its just the right speaker that is blowing, that could be the reason its just happening to one speaker and the possible cause of the problem.

Advent have possibly cut corners by not attenuating one of the speaker output to compensate for the left speaker wire being 8 times longer than the right.

making the right speaker cable longer and running it about the case could solve the problem.

Guest nosferatu_vos

Using vegacomb 1.7 for a while and want to try VegaComb Test43-RC3, but i can't find the download link on tabletroms anymore.

Does anyone have the link for vegacomb test43 or 44( i known it has the speaker problem but i am willing to take the risk wink.gif)

Thanks in advance

Guest Durbybard

Using vegacomb 1.7 for a while and want to try VegaComb Test43-RC3, but i can't find the download link on tabletroms anymore.

Does anyone have the link for vegacomb test43 or 44( i known it has the speaker problem but i am willing to take the risk wink.gif)

Thanks in advance

The link was removed by Newbe5 due to the speaker problem, and just checked his youtube post of the test rom and no link there.

So maybe only chance is for someone who has it to share it with you, i don't have it myself sadly.

Chris

Guest nosferatu_vos

The link was removed by Newbe5 due to the speaker problem, and just checked his youtube post of the test rom and no link there.

So maybe only chance is for someone who has it to share it with you, i don't have it myself sadly.

Chris

Thanks for the effort anyway, anybody else???

Guest Kevrae

lol read that wrong at first was just wtf! but yeah sort of a complement cheers. I would say there are a few out there (good guys that is). Although we can't tell people exactly how to mod we can let people know about "A great support site that helps you get the best from your vega" lol my words. I do have to be careful as I'm definitely a techie and like to help and share that with people but I do still work for Dixons Retail and so must respect what they say about it, as far as I'm aware if they promote it on advents website I can mention it in passing.

Edited by Kevrae

Guest xathras

Hide/Show the Honeycomb status bar

I stumbled upon this thread on toggling the Honeycomb staus bar at Tabletroms:- http://tabletroms.co...usbar+Honeycomb

"I attach the sources, a project for Netbeans 7.0 extended with NBAndroid plugin. These can be easily adopted to any other HC tablet. The only change possibly required is setting a link to another hard button (see AndroidManifest.xml)."

The original solution can be found here:- http://android.serverbox.ch/?p=306

In theory it should be possible to write a toggle using something like a long press on the back button (doesn't seem to be used currently), but that is way out of my league. Does anyone know how this might be done?

Software toggle using scripts

In the meantime this is easy to test using a couple of simple scripts.

Status_bar_off

Create a single line text file with this text:- service call activity 79 s16 com.android.systemui

Save it to the SD card with the name:- status_bar_off.sh

Using GScript create a new script (tick the SU box) with the single line:- sh /mnt/sdcard/status_bar_off.sh

Status_bar_on

Create a single line text file with this text:- am startservice -n com.android.systemui/.SystemUIService

Save it to the SD card with the name:- status_bar_on.sh

Using GScript create a new script (tick the SU box) with the single line:- sh /mnt/sdcard/status_bar_on.sh

Testing

I'm running VegaComb Test Build 44-RC3 (.36 kernel) and can testify that the scripts work with that ROM. I've run them more than 10 times without any problem. It would be nice if someone running VegaComb1.7 could try this. If something goes wrong a reboot will always bring back the status bar.

P.S. Aldiko with no status bar.:D

Edited by xathras

Guest HypoTurtle

Hide/Show the Honeycomb status bar

I stumbled upon this thread on toggling the Honeycomb staus bar at Tabletroms:- http://tabletroms.co...usbar+Honeycomb

"I attach the sources, a project for Netbeans 7.0 extended with NBAndroid plugin. These can be easily adopted to any other HC tablet. The only change possibly required is setting a link to another hard button (see AndroidManifest.xml)."

The original solution can be found here:- http://android.serverbox.ch/?p=306

In theory it should be possible to write a toggle using something like a long press on the back button (doesn't seem to be used currently), but that is way out of my league. Does anyone know how this might be done?

Software toggle using scripts

In the meantime this is easy to test using a couple of simple scripts.

Status_bar_off

Create a single line text file with this text:- service call activity 79 s16 com.android.systemui

Save it to the SD card with the name:- status_bar_off.sh

Using GScript create a new script (tick the SU box) with the single line:- sh /mnt/sdcard/status_bar_off.sh

Status_bar_on

Create a single line text file with this text:- am startservice -n com.android.systemui/.SystemUIService

Save it to the SD card with the name:- status_bar_on.sh

Using GScript create a new script (tick the SU box) with the single line:- sh /mnt/sdcard/status_bar_on.sh

Testing

I'm running VegaComb Test Build 44-RC3 (.36 kernel) and can testify that the scripts work with that ROM. I've run them more than 10 times without any problem. It would be nice if someone running VegaComb1.7 could try this. If something goes wrong a reboot will always bring back the status bar.

Thanks for that - will try it shortly was trying last night to toggle to status bar by changing the screen size in buildprop (so that the software would think the screen was larger and load the status bar off screen) but couldn't get it to work. Will report back on this 'fix'.

Edit: Working well here; I took the simpler approach of just creating the one script rather than having one initiate another which I think you did in your case. I just used gscript and to create the scripts "am startservice -n com.android.systemui/.SystemUIService" and "service call activity 79 s16 com.android.systemui" (I inadvertently initiated the hide script before creating a show one (and long hold back doesn't seem to bring up menu), but for some reason gscript created two hide scripts and I was able to edit one into a show.

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest xathras

Thanks for that - will try it shortly was trying last night to toggle to status bar by changing the screen size in buildprop (so that the software would think the screen was larger and load the status bar off screen) but couldn't get it to work. Will report back on this 'fix'.

Edit: Working well here; I took the simpler approach of just creating the one script rather than having one initiate another which I think you did in your case. I just used gscript and to create the scripts "am startservice -n com.android.systemui/.SystemUIService" and "service call activity 79 s16 com.android.systemui" (I inadvertently initiated the hide script before creating a show one (and long hold back doesn't seem to bring up menu), but for some reason gscript created two hide scripts and I was able to edit one into a show.

I just created two independent scripts from the information on this page:- http://android.serverbox.ch/?p=306

They appear on my home page like this:-

post-797214-0-45740000-1312896699_thumb.

If someone could work these into a single widget that toggles the status bar on & off (with no lag!), I'm sure we would all want it.

Edited by xathras