random reboots anyone?

Guest Cooled Spirit

Guest Cooled Spirit

Hi,

I used to have random reboots with the stock rom and now also with the GR2. The reboots I experience are not related to charging the battery. Do the people on this forum still experience those reboots too ? Or was a solution found ?

I still don't know whether this is hardware or software related. Anybody knows ?

And any solution found ?

Kind regards,

Cooled.

Guest pfueldner

Hi,

I used to have random reboots with the stock rom and now also with the GR2. The reboots I experience are not related to charging the battery. Do the people on this forum still experience those reboots too ? Or was a solution found ?

I still don't know whether this is hardware or software related. Anybody knows ?

And any solution found ?

Kind regards,

Cooled.

If you look at the overall amount of postings regarding random reboots it seems that people are talking a lot less about it than in the March-May timeframe. I was affected as well, but my first phone got exchanged by LG's service (due to a faulty HDMI port). The new device randomly rebooted a few times on stock ROM, but nothing compared to the first one. On custom ROMs (especially FR19) it is completely stable, no random reboots anymore!

I think this is a hardware issue that was never acknowledged by LG! If you have a device that has random reboots, it will do so on any ROM (with changing frequency).

We see people talk less about it now because the newer phones that got produced after a certain date don't seem to have this hardware issue. At least that's my theory.

Officially, there has never been a solution to the issue. A software fix was announced by LG a few times but if it was released and if so in which of the last updates - no one knows!

Guest Cooled Spirit

If you look at the overall amount of postings regarding random reboots it seems that people are talking a lot less about it than in the March-May timeframe.

Officially, there has never been a solution to the issue. A software fix was announced by LG a few times but if it was released and if so in which of the last updates - no one knows!

Indeed, it is a lot quieter around it. I exchanged my device because of the reboots a few months ago, but the reboots just kept on coming. Sigh. I was too dissappointed to ask for a new device again, because I felt that asking a new device just wouldn't help me.

I've been googling around for this LG fix and it seems they indeed released one:

http://recombu.com/news/lg-optimus-2x-random-rebooting-fix-available-now_M14317-1.html

Perhaps that explains why the "new" devices didn't have this problem... the patch got released back then ?

I assume this has not been implemented yet in the GR2 release ?

Kind regards,

Cooled.

Guest abwyatt

As one who has suffered from random reboots and so called BSODs with my stock ROM, I can say that I have not had any stability problems with the Modaco ROMs since Fr18 was released. This includes the current GR1/2 ROMs, and GR2 with the MCK custom kernel which are absolutely rock solid in my experience.

I agree with those above who are suggesting that the problem has been a combination of hardware (probably some out-of tolerance component/s) and software.

Those that had good hardware from the beginning, such as myself, had their problems solved with the later software updates that were released. These releases always found their way into the custom ROMs that I have been using since I first got rid of stock which is why I dare say we have had very stable MCR ROMs since Fr18, with the help of some expert tweaking from Paul of course :D

Those that had bad hardware (out of tolerance component/s) have continued to have stability problems even with the software updates. IMO if you are still having problems on the current custom ROMs, you should return the phone to claim warranty ASAP. I do not believe waiting for the official gingerbread ROM will solve your problem. Then again I might be wrong, but the current G2X experience with their official gingerbread update does not look promising.

Now, all that said, I think we have to make a distinction between random reboots, and reboots or FCs caused by incompatible apps as we upgrade to Gingerbread such as we are doing now with the GR1 and GR2 ROMs.

Yes, I have had some FC and reboots on GR1 and 2, but these are not random. They were caused by apps that I have had for a long time and worked perfectly with the FR ROMs but are not compatible with gingerbread. So keep this in mind when you are faced with a reboot or FC on the GR ROMs. Some offending apps that I have noticed are some of the well known lockscreen replacements. Look first at whether the app is designed for gingerbread before anything else. Personally, I have culled out all the offending apps now and found replacements that are designed for gingerbread.

My two cents worth :P

Edited by abwyatt

Guest Cooled Spirit

Those that had bad hardware (out of tolerance component/s) have continued to have stability problems even with the software updates. IMO if you are still having problems on the current custom ROMs, you should return the phone to claim warranty ASAP. I do not believe waiting for the official gingerbread ROM will solve your problem. Then again I might be wrong, but the current G2X experience with their official gingerbread update does not look promising.

Now, all that said, I think we have to make a distinction between random reboots, and reboots or FCs caused by incompatible apps as we upgrade to Gingerbread such as we are doing now with the GR1 and GR2 ROMs.

Yes, I have had some FC and reboots on GR1 and 2, but these are not random. They were caused by apps that I have had for a long time and worked perfectly with the FR ROMs but are not compatible with gingerbread. So keep this in mind when you are faced with a reboot or FC on the GR ROMs. Some offending apps that I have noticed are some of the well known lockscreen replacements. Look first at whether the app is designed for gingerbread before anything else. Personally, I have culled out all the offending apps now and found replacements that are designed for gingerbread.

My two cents worth :P

Thanks for your input...

I find it difficult to assess what category I might be falling under. My phone usually reboots when I'm not around ... Last time it rebooted during the night. It wasn't charging or whatever. And it did this always so far: rebooting while I'm not actually using it. Does this sound like hardware or software ?

Is there some smart logging way to have an overview what apps and processes were running at the time of a crash ? I could remove those running apps one by one and verify if there are still reboots...

Suppose I ask for a replacement of my device: what reason can I possibly give for the exchange? I have the device for a few months now, and the current device is already a replacement because of reboots. That aside from actually knowing what is causing my reboots.

Any advice/feedback is appreciated!

Kind regards,

Cooled

Guest abwyatt

Thanks for your input...

I find it difficult to assess what category I might be falling under. My phone usually reboots when I'm not around ... Last time it rebooted during the night. It wasn't charging or whatever. And it did this always so far: rebooting while I'm not actually using it. Does this sound like hardware or software ?

I see from your first post that you have already tried GR2. You also have some additional apps installed.

My 2 cents worth of advice is rather then going backward by uninstalling apps, begin with a clean install (wipe data before flashing) of the GR2 ROM. Also install the latest 622 gingerbread baseband. Then just run it as is with its default settings without installing or restoring any apps for a couple of days. It should be absolutely stable if your hardware is good like mine.

Just to give you an idea of what you should be able to expect with these custom ROMs on good hardware, I have a little over 100 apps installed and multiple background tasks/syncs running throughout the night (while on the charger) such as scheduled podcast downloads (using BeyondPod - average 300 to 500 MB data download each night), scheduled SMS backups, and Tasker automation controlling all manner of profile changes through night and day for location, network, sound, display, bluetooth settings, and it is still absolutely stable.

But taking it step by step, if you still have reboots (you can keep track of this by taking note of your uptime) without any apps installed, then I would conclude that you have a problem with your hardware. What you do next is then up to you: wait for the official gingerbread release and pray to the heavens that it will fix the problem; or demand another exchange. I personally would choose the latter.

Edited by abwyatt

Guest Peterfdevries

Never had random reboots untill I used GR1, therefor I switched back to FR19, but now I still have them. But only during the nighttime...

Guest Cooled Spirit

Never had random reboots untill I used GR1, therefor I switched back to FR19, but now I still have them. But only during the nighttime...

Yea, I have the impression that sometimes, there's something that sticks from the last install. I even had my system freezing at a certain point. No matter where I switched to (FR19), it would keep on following me, until I wiped everything clean with NVFlash and the stock rom. Then those dreaded reboots started again. Maybe I should flash the stock rom again, and then upgrade to 1.0D (LG's reboot solution), and then switch to GR2, maybe that would keep it clean.

Guest Cooled Spirit

I see from your first post that you have already tried GR2. You also have some additional apps installed.

My 2 cents worth of advice is rather then going backward by uninstalling apps, begin with a clean install (wipe data before flashing) of the GR2 ROM. Also install the latest 622 gingerbread baseband. Then just run it as is with its default settings without installing or restoring any apps for a couple of days. It should be absolutely stable if your hardware is good like mine.

Just to give you an idea of what you should be able to expect with these custom ROMs on good hardware, I have a little over 100 apps installed and multiple background tasks/syncs running throughout the night (while on the charger) such as scheduled podcast downloads (using BeyondPod - average 300 to 500 MB data download each night), scheduled SMS backups, and Tasker automation controlling all manner of profile changes through night and day for location, network, sound, display, bluetooth settings, and it is still absolutely stable.

But taking it step by step, if you still have reboots (you can keep track of this by taking note of your uptime) without any apps installed, then I would conclude that you have a problem with your hardware. What you do next is then up to you: wait for the official gingerbread release and pray to the heavens that it will fix the problem; or demand another exchange. I personally would choose the latter.

Sounds elementary that I install LG's patch to fix the reboots first... But you're right, this sounds like the only way to potentially identify software that is causing issues.

Guest orlox

i had random reboots with all fr and gr exept g

fr19 witch i didnt try because i couldnt even restore my titanium backup

All problems stopped with the latest as today official greek 10c with 622 baseband. 4 days now 0 problems

Guest Cooled Spirit

i had random reboots with all fr and gr exept g

fr19 witch i didnt try because i couldnt even restore my titanium backup

All problems stopped with the latest as today official greek 10c with 622 baseband. 4 days now 0 problems

I downloaded v10c yesterday from XDA and installed using the smartflash tool, curious whether it will keep me "reboot free".

now its 8 days and still not even one reboot or crash or any other problem like signal wifi or data loss.

Last night i had my first reboot. I put telephone on the wall charger and went to sleep. Today sim lock was expecting me.

Edited by orlox

Guest Cooled Spirit

now its 8 days and still not even one reboot or crash or any other problem like signal wifi or data loss.

Last night i had my first reboot. I put telephone on the wall charger and went to sleep. Today sim lock was expecting me.

I had my first reboot today too... dry.gif But I still experience bluetooth problems as well. Is it possible that when I ask to wipe everything that "not everything" is wiped (factory reset and Dalvik cache) ?

For experiment's sake I've kicked out JuiceDefender... no offense for the writers of this great software. Let's see how long it will now take for a reboot.

Morning everyone! i have had reboots after this new gr1 alpha release but also simcard dropdown issue seem to be fixed. But now i have problem to get compitable baseband and ril version

Baseband 0725

and ril is 0622 gingerbreak leak. Now working but after i close my wlan it “disable“ mobile network connection and i have to wait long time so its normal or reboot phone.

Guest GroovyGrovesy

I used to get the Reboots but dont seem to get them anymore, what I have always and still am getting is the BSOD's, 3 today in the space of 1 1/2 hours. I wouldnt mind so much if I didnt have to pull the battery every time.

The sad thing is I haven't even had it back for a week from LG (via Superetrader) who supposedly "Fixed" it. I have my doubts if LG even received it.

Guest GroovyGrovesy

BSOD = Black Screen Of Death

Basically you will press the power button to unlock the device and nothing will happen, sometimes if you press the touch buttons the phone will vibrate but that's quite rare in my experience.

The only way to fix this is to pull the battery, re-insert it and reboot the phone.

I used to get the Reboots but dont seem to get them anymore

I think I spoke too soon and jinxed my phone, I had a random reboot earlier this morning... Doh Back to LG again me thinks.

Guest fifi139

i used to have bsod, reboots etc. After i was using paul's mcr fr 18 and 19, i could enjoy my phone but if i did some intensive apps while charging, it always crashed.

Now, I've been using v10d (SEA version) for almost a week, and boy what a difference. Now, it's rock-solid. While charging i use gps in the background, Opera, and playing graphic-intensive game and got my temp to 60 degree and low memory, and still doing great with no crashes. Only twice that Opera shut itself. But no crashes or reboots. Of course with so much apps running, my battery was still discharging eventhough i was charging it on the wall outlet with original charger.

it's more responsive than iphone 4 but sometimes it just stutter, while iphone 4 is always constant and smooth and no stutter at all.

I'm so happy with it. LG has nailed the problems with the latest asian version.

EDIT: my version is v10d SEA (Indonesia) with baseband 622. It's the same version as Singapore's.

Edited by fifi139

• 1 month later...
Guest Syaheer

i used to have bsod, reboots etc. After i was using paul's mcr fr 18 and 19, i could enjoy my phone but if i did some intensive apps while charging, it always crashed.

Now, I've been using v10d (SEA version) for almost a week, and boy what a difference. Now, it's rock-solid. While charging i use gps in the background, Opera, and playing graphic-intensive game and got my temp to 60 degree and low memory, and still doing great with no crashes. Only twice that Opera shut itself. But no crashes or reboots. Of course with so much apps running, my battery was still discharging eventhough i was charging it on the wall outlet with original charger.

it's more responsive than iphone 4 but sometimes it just stutter, while iphone 4 is always constant and smooth and no stutter at all.

I'm so happy with it. LG has nailed the problems with the latest asian version.

EDIT: my version is v10d SEA (Indonesia) with baseband 622. It's the same version as Singapore's.

Hi, I'm also on V10d SEA (Singapore), but baseband 1035.21_20110725 and still having restart problems & BSOD... Any recommendations? It restarts more during hot climate..