[RECOVERY] : ClockworkMod Recovery for Orange Barcelona/Huawei U8350

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404

Please find attached *MY* build of the latest version of Koush's ClockworkMod Recovery for the Orange Barcelona/Huawei U8350. It is not officially supported by Koush, please do not bother him with support questions for this build.

I have tested it as much as I can, but I'm always open to any more constructive feedback. Please see one post down for a change log for THIS build.

To install:

• Recovery Manager
      Download the img file to your SD card, and then you can use the Recovery Manager application to install your recovery, note your device must be rooted to run Recovery Manager.

• ADB method
      • Download the support files and unzip them to your PC.
      • Place the files along with the recovery img file into a directory.
      • From a command prompt cd into that directory and type the following commands:
        adb push psneuter /data/local/
        adb shell chmod 04775 /data/local/psneuter
        adb shell /data/local/psneuter
        adb push flash_image /data/local/
        adb shell chmod 04775 /data/local/flash_image
        adb push recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.4-u8350.img /sdcard/
        adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.4-u8350.img
        adb reboot recovery[/code]

• When this finishes, you device should reboot into ClockworkMod Reovery
        [/list]

• [u]fastboot method[/u]
        • Unplug the USB cable, turn off your device and take out the battery
        • Replace the battery and turn the device on holding the 'Power' & 'volume down' key. The device will stay at the 'egg timer' screen.
        • Plug the device into the PC.
        • From a command prompt run '[i]fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img[/i]'
        • When this finishes, from the command prompt run 'fastboot reboot'
          [/list]

• [u]update.zip method[/u]
            If you have a previous version or another recovery install, install the update.zip and restart your device.
            [/list]
            [/list]

[b]How to Enter recovery mode:[/b]
            • restart your device holding down the 'power', 'volume up' & 'Call (green)' keys
            • Use the Recovery Manager application to Reboot into Recovery
            • if you have ADB configured type 'adb reboot recovery' from the command line.

[b]Downloads:[/b][list]The Latest version of Clockworkmod Recovery can found here

[b]Previous versions:[/b][list]

[*]Older versions of Clockwork recovery can be found here.

[b]Official release[/b][list]

[*]Official versions of ClockworkMod Recovery if available for this device can be found here

• [b]Warning:[/b][list]

[*]Support for the old style update files that use the Amend scripting (update-script) method is no longer supported With ClockworkMod Recovery from v3 onwards.

[b]Source[/b][list]

[*]The Device Config to build ClockworkMod Recovery as part of CyanogenMod can be found on my GitHub.

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404

Know issues:

- nadroid backup/restore does not support the custom (/cust) partition.

Build Change Log:

2011-08-03 - v4.0.1.4 b1 - Initial release

Thanks for your work once again Sebastian. I was thinking of getting this phone but £99.99 + £10 top up is really a bit too much. A bit lower and Orange might have had another OSF. How does performance compare to the OSF / Blade?

Edited by Guest

Guest Sebastian404

Its not AS bad as people are making out, its a nice little device, but your right it is slightly over priced, Id wait and see if Orange drop it...

I've not really had a chance to play with it, the usual Orange bloat is quite nasty, they have replaced the launcher with a custom one that's REALLY not helping... I've got a nice unbranded ROM in the works, but I'm having problems with the SIM lock on it.. I think I'm close to working out how to remove that from the device..

Guest Rambo_singh1987

Its not AS bad as people are making out, its a nice little device, but your right it is slightly over priced, Id wait and see if Orange drop it...

I've not really had a chance to play with it, the usual Orange bloat is quite nasty, they have replaced the launcher with a custom one that's REALLY not helping... I've got a nice unbranded ROM in the works, but I'm having problems with the SIM lock on it.. I think I'm close to working out how to remove that from the device..

Sebastian to remove the simlock use DC-Unlocker, The Huawei U8350 detects as a U8150/Smart as they both have same kernal i believe. I cant remember how i got into fastboot but i think its red button vol up and on button. But I can confirm ive unlocked here.

Guest Rambo_singh1987

Sebastian to remove the simlock use DC-Unlocker, The Huawei U8350 detects as a U8150/Smart as they both have same kernal i believe. I cant remember how i got into fastboot but i think its red button vol up and on button. But I can confirm ive unlocked here.

oh you wrote the fastboot on the first post! Didnt see it lol

Hi Sebastian

Thanks for your post on the ClockworkMod Recovery for the Orange Barcelona/Huawei U8350.

However, I have one rather silly question, how do I go about rooting the device in the first instance?

Hope you can help

Kind regards

Guest andyfletcher

Hey Sebastian,

I managed to get root using superone click and followed your steps above to install recovery etc. I would be really interested in trying out your unbranded rom. Is it anywhere near ready to beta test yet?

Cheers

Andy

Guest andyfletcher

I spent ages removing the ugly orange bloatware, the splash logos etc and the device did seem quite a bit zippier. I made one mistake though, i did a factory reset and clear cache to see how it performed. I had forgotten that i had blown away the orange home / launcher app - this stopped the device from booting.

I was about to load up the original orange UK firmware from :http://wiki.modaco.c..._Firmware_U8350 and instead thought i would take a look at the Kenya Normal one. WOW what a difference the rom is much faster than the orange one - really noticably quicker!! No nasty bloat, no branding whatsoever. The only minor issue i did have was the symbol key didnt appear to work in googlemail, this was fixed by unticking android keyboard under the settings/keyboard.

A nice stock froyo that seems (so far) to be working perfectly!! The phone is sooo much better.

Root and clockwork mod recovery back on again.. very pleased indeed!

Andy

Edited by andyfletcher

Guest weebro27

Sounds brilliant! (re: the Kenya Normal firmware - great lateral thinking!!)

Does this mean it's now SIM-unlocked..? (ie. phone works with other SIM cards, not just Orange UK)

Cheers.

I spent ages removing the ugly orange bloatware, the splash logos etc and the device did seem quite a bit zippier. I made one mistake though, i did a factory reset and clear cache to see how it performed. I had forgotten that i had blown away the orange home / launcher app - this stopped the device from booting.

I was about to load up the original orange UK firmware from :http://wiki.modaco.c..._Firmware_U8350 and instead thought i would take  a look at the Kenya Normal one. WOW what a difference the rom is much faster than the orange one - really noticably quicker!! No nasty bloat, no branding whatsoever. The only minor issue i did have was the symbol key didnt appear to work in googlemail, this was fixed by unticking android keyboard under the settings/keyboard.

A nice stock froyo that seems (so far) to be working perfectly!! The phone is sooo much better.

Root and clockwork mod recovery back on again.. very pleased indeed!

Andy

Guest Sebastian404

Sounds brilliant! (re: the Kenya Normal firmware - great lateral thinking!!)

Does this mean it's now SIM-unlocked..? (ie. phone works with other SIM cards, not just Orange UK)

Cheers.

No, but it will be locked to a Kenya Network provider :)

I've managed to come down with the traditional transatlantic summer Flu so I've not been doing that much of late... hopefully get my de-branded ROM out this weekend...

Guest andyfletcher

I havent had chance to test. But i would expect the device to be locked to the provider still.

My device was was provided by OrangeUK and is still working great without the orange bloat. I have tested 2G, 3G, GPS, Roaming between OrangeUK TmobileUK all work great. Corporate mail works fine - the orange version seemed to have a tendancy to drop the account settings randomly (I have experienced it doing this on 8 of the 20+ device work have bought recently).

The only application i wouldnt mind getting back was the orange signal booster / UMA / HD voice application. Not sure if there is a way to decompile the orange image or whether i will have to flash the image to copy out the relevent apps.

Andy

Sounds brilliant! (re: the Kenya Normal firmware - great lateral thinking!!)

Cheers.

I havent had chance to test. But i would expect the device to be locked to the provider still.

My device was was provided by OrangeUK and is still working great without the orange bloat. I have tested 2G, 3G, GPS, Roaming between OrangeUK TmobileUK all work great. Corporate mail works fine - the orange version seemed to have a tendancy to drop the account settings randomly (I have experienced it doing this on 8 of the 20+ device work have bought recently).

The only application i wouldnt mind getting back was the orange signal booster / UMA / HD voice application. Not sure if there is a way to decompile the orange image or whether i will have to flash the image to copy out the relevent apps.

Andy

I have unlocked my Barcelona and I am using the Kenya Normal ROM. I am on Vodafone UK and it all seems to work. The phone is instantly more responsive anduseable. I use Launcher Pro and it is very smooth. With CWM and root this is a real winner.

Ian

Guest weebro27

@andyfletcher - Thanks for the insightful reply!

@Sebastian404 - Hope you get well soon!

Cheers.

Andy

Looking forward to a custom ROM, however, I am wondering if IDEOS custom ROMS can be used as a basis for this phone. As far as I can see they are the same boards but the IDEOS has a proximity \ ambient light sensor and the U8350 has a keyboard.

I have unzipped FusionIDEOS and the huawei IME is missing and it is quite a leap of faith as the updater writes to /custom which I can't backup in nandroid.

I will do a bit more research but this could fasttrack CM6 and CM7 onto this phone.

Guest Adam Cable

Just purchased one of these beauties.

Tried to download the Kenyan build to put on it, but noticed the download links don't work any more.

Does anyone have any alternative links, or is it best to wait for Seb404's creation?

Adam

Guest Sebastian404

Does anyone have any alternative links, or is it best to wait for Seb404's creation?

I'm not really using this site all that much of late... but I thought I'd posted a link to my debranded rom..

http://android.podtwo.com/roms/r0_de-branded_u8350-update-signed.zip

I did'nt manage to get anywhere with the SIM lock... its not as simple as I thought, I'll still try and puzzle it out in my spare time tho,...