Skype for Three

Guest lurcio

Guest t0mm13b

Uhhhh, viber does the same thing for free as well (its on the market place).... minus video conferencing so it might be more of a lightweight package to use unlike Skype...

Guest stellafive

Works just like the one on Three phones, using voice to three nework and Skype after that.

Working fine on Froyo 2.2, don't know about other ROM's.

What version are you using plz!?

Guest lurcio

@ stellafive Skype_0_10_0_15_3UK_live_apk.

There is no video on this skype. It is free to use on Three as it does not use data connection. The connection is made in voice to the Three transmitter and then connected to skype from there.

Apart from being free there is no processing on the phone so no heat or loss of battery life and you can be called anywhere.

Guest flshg

There is no video on this skype. It is free to use on Three as it does not use data connection. The connection is made in voice to the Three transmitter and then connected to skype from there.

Apart from being free there is no processing on the phone so no heat or loss of battery life and you can be called anywhere.

Does this version also have the instant messaging? I'm also using skype on 3 but it must be a different version as it does require the data connection (but still free).

Guest lurcio

It has Skype messaging. If your using the ordinary Skype you are using a data connection but that is not free. You may be on a data bundle but you are still paying for that in some way.

This Skype is free to use on three as it does not use data. It does have certain limitations but I have just checked and you can have this and the normal skype on the OSF at the same time. They will also run at the same time but for clarity I wouldn't.

Guest flshg

The one I'm using is Skype_1.5.0.13_3UK_live.apk, and it does use data connection but three does not charge for it (because I am using it without any credit on payg). Its different to the full skype package from market.

Does your version definately run without data connection i.e. if you disable data connection does it still work?

Guest lurcio

I never found 13, the highest I had ever tried before was 12 and that wouldn't sign on because I believe it was only for 2.1.

I have just tried 15 for you and it will not sign in without a 3 data connection which would be free, but after that you can turn the data off and it runs fine- I don't normally as it doesn't consume data anyway.

Guest flshg

I never found 13, the highest I had ever tried before was 12 and that wouldn't sign on because I believe it was only for 2.1.

I have just tried 15 for you and it will not sign in without a 3 data connection which would be free, but after that you can turn the data off and it runs fine- I don't normally as it doesn't consume data anyway.

Thanks for trying that out, I think I'll switch to your version as it may reduce battery usage since it doesnt use much data.

Guest abarthman

Is that the latest version?

I've been using Skype_0.10.0.16_hutch_live.apk for a while with no problems.

Guest lurcio

Skype_0_10_0_15_3UK_live_apk is the first one I've been able to get to work. I guess if it aint broke...

The version would indicate that this is the latest and if you have the apk you can always revert back to that version. Just be careful of chats and data!

Guest ericssonfan2000

Of course it DOES use data, otherwise it couldn't update your status in Skype.

BUT this is always free on Three, once you topped up your phone at least once.

Then, even if you have no money at all left on your pay as you go, you can still use Skype on Three, for free!

Guest lurcio

You are CORRECT correct, as I said it will use data to sign in and it would to update status, however the voice element is not carried over data and the system will still continue to work without a data connection. It will even try to connect even when the true status is unknown, succeeding if the other party is on-line. Not sure if this would continue till you logged out!

This is the reason that phones that are incapable of processing a Skype call can use still Skype on Three.

Guest stellafive

You are CORRECT correct, as I said it will use data to sign in and it would to update status, however the voice element is not carried over data and the system will still continue to work without a data connection. It will even try to connect even when the true status is unknown, succeeding if the other party is on-line. Not sure if this would continue till you logged out!

This is the reason that phones that are incapable of processing a Skype call can use still Skype on Three.

I am also using Skype_0_ 10_0 _15_ 3UK_ live_

apk. It does work as stated above.

Edited by stellafive

Guest irishpancake

Uhhhh, viber does the same thing for free as well (its on the market place).... minus video conferencing so it might be more of a lightweight package to use unlike Skype...

Hi Tomás, have you tried Viber? On the Blade?

On Froyo or Gingerbread GSF or CM7?

It's just that on SS 5, my current ROM, the old SIP/VOIP Sound routing to speaker problem exists, and there apparently are probs with sound quality on CM7, one-way-transmission??

Viber have announced a new version on Market, which apparently address some probs on CM7 and MIUI:

http://www.boards.ie...3&postcount=366

Hi all,Viber 2.0.2 has just been released to Market!

What's new?

- Viber is back on Market for HTC Wildfire and HTC Hero users. However, note that due to immanent compatibility problems, Viber might not work 100% smoothly. We're working hard to improve these problems.

- After hard work, as promised, Viber now supports *some* of the famous custom Android ROMs, such as CM7 and MIUI. We need your feedback in order to make sure the major problems with these ROMs are now resolved.

Please make sure you download the latest version.

As usual - for questions/technical issues feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Viber.

Edited by irishpancake

• 2 months later...
Guest Timelesspa

just wanted to leave some thanks for the software.. found another version which force closed all the time.. this one did the trick, appreciated..

tho l am interested in finding out if there are any other three apps that lm missing.

just wanted to leave some thanks for the software.. found another version which force closed all the time.. this one did the trick, appreciated..

tho l am interested in finding out if there are any other three apps that lm missing.

I think theres a windows messenger app from three as well, again free to use.

Is anyone still using skype on three on GSF? I'm struggling to get reliable skype voice calls - they disconnect after a few mins. Messaging works fine for me though.