[script] V6 Super Charger/Memory Fixer

Guest highaltitude

Guest highaltitude

Found this thread on XDA and though it had some good info for tweaking android phones. http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=991276

What's it do?

It makes your phone FAST... super snappy with better multitasking!

It rearranges and fixes the OOM Groupings and Priorites and lowmemorykiller values.

So basically, it's a COMPLETE MEMORY MANAGEMENT FIX!

It's the ONLY one of it's kind biggrin.gif

NO LAUNCHER REDRAWS, faster than ever, multitasking is better... why?

Because it works with the lowmemorykiller and letting it work the way it's meant to work.

Also, because of the rearrangement, it works the same on all roms!

The problem with using minfree tweakers like AMM or AKMO is that it doesn't work the same on all roms.

Secondary apps may be in slot 3 on some roms but in slot 5 in others!

That's why you hear people comment "I tried AKMO but it didn't do anything..."

Most likely it didn't do anything because the apps weren't sitting where they were expected to be.

So fasten your seat belts and enjoy the ride!

================================================== ================================

Note: Do this at your own risk, regardless of how little risk there is - since I included UnSuperCharging smile.gif

........ Well, do a nandroid anyway, if you like tongue.gif

Requirements:

1. Rooted Phone. Milestoners, you can use Universal Androot (not in market ?)

2. Script Manager or Terminal Emulator to run the script. Stock ROMs can also use SM to load up boot scripts!

3. Busybox 1.18.2 OR LOWER - 1.18.3 or newer are VERY much a hassle with errors that should NOT be errors!

4. AutoStart Script by me biggrin.gif - Enables Stock ROMS (Milestone) to utilize etc/init.d for boot scripts.

Stock ROMS (Milestone) - Vulnerable recovery is not required!

Installing/Using:

1. Download the attached V6_SuperCharger_for_Android*.txt script and save to your sdcard.

... Do NOT run the V6 SuperCharger install script at boot!

2. Load the script (V6_SuperCharger_for_Android*.txt) into Script Manager and select "Run as Root."

3. Touch the screen for the soft keyboard or slide out the keyboard and get SuperCharged! Just pick an option!

4. READ the script's output!

5. Afterwards, READ the html HELP FILE in the root of your SD Card!

6. Disable "Lock Home in Memory" if your ROM has this option.

7. Optional: For a quick status check, you can put a Script Manager widget for V6 SuperCharger on you desktop smile.gif

Cool! - Here is a Visual V6 SuperCharger Installation Tutorial (Screen Caps!) by MalarKeY007 (thanks dude)

If you are using compcache and have lag or slow down after SuperCharging,

DISABLE compache, wipe caches and re-enable it.

Also make sure to uncheck/disable lock home in memory! (and leave it unchecked)

Note: V6_SuperCharger-AOR.zip is for use with Milestone's Androidiani OpenRecovery. Even if you have a Milestone, don't run it within Android.

........ AOR Usage: Extract to the root of your sdcard (Directory structure is in the zip)

.......................... You will now have a SuperCharger Menu on the main screen. Simply select the menu and select 1 of the 12 options.

UPDATED July 21, 2011: - Update 8

Improved code

Tweaked Current Status functionality. It will tell you if your current and prior minfrees match but if you apply a setting, it won't update the "prior minfrees" with the values you just installed. It will update the prior minfrees the next time you run the script.

UPDATED July 18, 2011: - Update 7

Tweaked Status Checker. Update 6 sometimes gave wrong launcher status tongue.gif

UPDATED July 16, 2011: - Update 6

Added Second MegaRAM device setting.

Added installation to system option - for easy use with Terminal Emulator!

Added UnSuperCharger verification

Improved status checker. It can sometimes determine if home is locked in memory! If not, it asks you if it is.

Saves SuperCharger settings! - They are displayed on the main menu if they exist.

Saves Cust-OOM settings! - Cust-OOM settings get added to the menu!

Smart Cust-OOMizer - Just try it smile.gif

Improved the code some more. It's smarter than ever smile.gif

Improved messages to user. Clearer instructions and errors are given!

Final attempt to get this to load on boot. Custom ROMs will now get the /data/userinit.sh and /data/99SuperCharger.sh files.

Easily cook into your rom! Just change the variable (rcpath=) on line 116 to the path of your *rc file!

1224 lines of code! eek.gifcool.gif

UPDATED June 29, 2011: - Update 5

Removed 2 minute delay from userinit.sh. Sorry, I didn't know that it would pause the boot process on some phones/roms

UPDATED June 26, 2011: - Update 4

Fixed issue with error check - commented it out as it would stop the script dead on some roms tongue.gif

Improved Status Checker some more

Improved the code. The script is much smarter, cleaner and efficient (no more temp files)

1001 lines of code!

UPDATED June 25, 2011: - Update 3b

Pulled earlier Update 3 - fixed minor noticeable errors and one HUGE one that went unnoticed...

UPDATED June 25, 2011: - Update 3 -PULLED

Added error check that exits script on any error

Tweaked OOM groupings/priorities (Froyo is the same as always, Gingerbread now takes into account Perceptible App)

Improved Status Checker

ReReFixed!? userinit.sh now used as a launcher for 99SuperCharger - with a 2 minute delay! (This boot script fix HAS to work tongue.gif)

Fixed sysctl error on some phone configurations

UPDATED June 20, 2011: - Update 2

Added User Selectable Scrolling Speed!

Fixed a couple of weird issues that some people had in yesterday's update tongue.gif

ReFixed? Still trying to get the 99SuperCharger boot script to load automatically for everybody... grrrrr...

UPDATED June 19, 2011: - Update 1

Added MegaMemory Device setting!

Fixed formatting for Script Manager update (40 columns)

Fixed (I hope) boot script not booting on many ROMs (Thanks for the tips, lovethyEVO)

Fixed long press back button kill (wasn't working)

Modified OOM groupings/priorities: Nothing breaks... EVER!

Improved the help html files

Main points:

- CUST-OOMIZER! Use your settings without Autokiller Memory Optimizer or Auto Memory Manager!

- For newer phones with lots of ram, use the 3rd slot to set how much free ram you want.

- If you have /system/etc/rootfs/init.mapphone_umts.rc, it makes a backup and edits that single file. This is nice and tidy.

... Thank to kabaldan for pointing out the importance of certain things.

- Most Custom ROMs - If you have a /system/etc/init.d folder, it creates 99SuperCharger in there and edits /data/local.prop (20 entries added for adjusting priorities and groupings). You shouldn't need to configure anything else.

- Stock ROMs - If you have neither, it creates /data/99SuperCharger.sh which you can load up on boot (run as root) with Script Manager. The OOM groupings work as well since it happens on boot in local.prop (20 entries added) biggrin.gif

Note: For some reason, the minfree levels do not stick on some Custom ROMs. I don't know why this is. Maybe a bug in GingerBread?

........ You can check /res/user.log to see if it ran...

........ If this happens to you, use Script Manager to load /system/etc/init.d/99SuperCharger "on boot" and "run as root"

In case of any error, you will find a related help file in the root of your SD card.

So... I think this covers ANY Android ROM smile.gif

It also determines if you're using Script Manager and gives appropriate information/tips/help files depending on what other factors are present.

The above is really ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.

The V6 SuperCharger script does everything!

Anything below is extra info!

It's just a single file... 806 lines (807 if you count the blank line at the end LOL)

The Nitty Gritty... For Geeks!

If you read between the red lines below (parts 1-3), you'll see that at first it was only about minfrees and launcher redraw.

But after installing GingerBread, I saw that it needed more work than Froyo LOL.

Groupings were ALL MESSED UP and made NO SENSE to me whatsoever...

So I figured out how to group them more like CM6 (Froyo) but that still wasn't good enough...

So I further rearranged the OOM Groupings and Priorites and lowmemorykiller values and created a SuperCharger for phone memory...

THE ONLY COMPLETE MEMORY MANAGEMENT FIX!

Upon installation, V6 SuperCharger will first clean up any previous supercharging so none of your files get cluttered.

But if you toggle between Hard To Kill and BulletProof launchers, the memory adjustments aren't affected.

So you can leave your minfrees at stock/default settings and apply the Hard To Kill Launcher and still get the OOM Grouping/Priority fixes.

So if you love your ROMs memory settings, just try the HTK Launcher/OOM Fix... you won't regret it smile.gif

It's pretty awesome biggrin.gif

Here are some snaps....

Before...

50d8ea4233dcf5672faf6f3c129f6e7508a0b192103840c012e91adee2dafd084g.jpg 2f74eb2cad05455fda6cb699b63568f607d6c236783632cce61930016328d3f24g.jpg

After...

d103d9645c9c3bd939e305eb484f47a4cf71bfe176289c66027f3f721befffc44g.jpg ff9d2f8649fc38d5ae9556083d050dc2bb55f94e6185bd4e3aaebc4a99779e924g.jpg 03de46c9c6eab5dcec3079d897cd988c3fc5679f5d9bef4f4f6b5e0f8cfa60034g.jpg

During....

69898a98bcdeac7df0c751f5482c2ea168a66294e325bd1b3643ac720bbbab334g.jpg 8328bd34e21573a1e7456ed58d06d27a3b385ddae1278aa420cbd944febbd6704g.jpg c7bd515e1a26d601ccb56b3915840221a96be57546ace49b6c578c9fa158fb304g.jpg

Bonus....

d29be8ea17129e9ff41d946310ddb4061e04c46bfe5d12acbfa92192b9877f014g.jpg e094fd0d7465510f2eedc9b1c1e6058c7110e684efd3a365c382bd21b7e10a2a4g.jpg 4170c163d6e9a39269e64150aa0d4d229f172b2225520883993a4e6d132cf5524g.jpg f5364220874acd076c55c61c3456bfe8e2413d3a12c829eaf3e193c2b109fe024g.jpg

Say Buh Bye to AKMO or any app that has to load on start up to change minfrees...

So did you notice the difference in groupings?

By default, CM7 has nearly all the apps in slot 5 and the launcher in slot 3.

Slightly aggressive settings will kill any chance of multitasking in that situation.

After SuperCharging, the apps get moved to slot 3 while the launcher is in slot 2 but the most important item in slot 2.

I've read, "oh you don't need to run any scripts for memory management..."

Well that's not true.

Playing with minfree values is one thing... it's playing with minfree levels... it's not really memory management...

Look at the pics above... now THAT's memory management...

If you look below the red line... that's how it all started... good background info in case you're wondering what the hell I'm talking about.

So whatever is between the red lines, don't worry if you don't understand it... the script does everything!

================================================== ================================

So... recently I came across/figured out some pretty neat stuff to make my Milestone run incredibly well.

Fast, Stable, and Smooth. FSS... heh... my Milestone used to make me say FFS too often... lol

In Part 2, you will find a way to make your launcher bulletproof!

What's that mean? No more screen redraws! AT ALL - I'm pretty sure smile.gif

History Part 1. How To Control Android's Memory Manager via minfree

This revolves around Android's built-in memory manager/task killer.

I had been using Auto Memory Manager (AMM) with great results. AutoKiller Memory Optimizer (AKMO) had worked just as well.

These are NOT taskillers! (And neither is my SuperCharger biggrin.gif)

They tweak Android's native memory management system by editing /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree

This is a "dynamic" file that gets created on boot.

There is an in-depth thread that you can read right here on XDA: How to configure Android's *internal* taskkiller

Android puts each running app into 1 of 6 Out Of Memory (OOM) groups based on their priority.

FOREGROUND_APP, VISIBLE_APP, SECONDARY_SERVER, HIDDEN_APP, CONTENT_PROVIDER, and EMPTY_APP.

Additional Info: You can find each app's priority and OOM.

....................... In AMM, Press Menu > Running Processes > Group by OOM grouping.

....................... Expand each group and see what apps are included and each app's priority level. (Higher numbers get killed first!)

....................... If you tap on an app, you can get additional info. Tip: Check and see what's included with android.process.acore wink.gif

The default minfree values ("kill thresholds") for each OOM group are, as far as I can tell: 6, 8, 16, 20, 22 and 24 mb. (CyanogenMod 6.1.2)

This means that: when free memory lowers to 24 mb, EMPTY_APPS get killed; at 22 mb free ram, CONTENT_PROVIDER apps get killed; and so on...

Now, because the Milestone has only 256 mb of memory, I found these numbers too low, especially the 3rd one.

Basically, with those settings, you will usually be sitting with only 20 - 25 mb of ram.

Possibly less. Basically, it's the 3rd number (16) + 5. That's your free memory.

And my phone just chokes when it has that little ram available. Lag, home screen redrawing, the launcher getting killed.... ugh....

After extensive fiddling around, I've come to the conclusion that setting the third slot to about 25mb works great.

No home screen redraws while not being too aggressive on secondary/background apps while having about 30-35mb free all the time smile.gif

BTW, free ram is not wasted. Android will use that memory to cache the file system and this speeds things up. See this informative post.

d64aa15cf9e87e91c509a00ee14a67c4f1898e1f5c03a9d86536b63f499f06a14g.jpg d22e5c6205313d95805bf73a116dd482745154126e57b698ec523fb624d98c4a4g.jpg 8274cf944753466bedde98e97c1d59aea50dbb61e26239a0aee10686ed0cedfb4g.jpg

My other key settings were:

VM Heap Size = 48 mb.

Home Locked in Memory (not anymore due to my OOM Grouping Fix)

JIT enabled - You can try it on or off and decide what you like better (JIT uses some extra memory but makes the CPU more efficient)

Overclocked to 1100mhz@64 vsel.

About VM Heap size. 40 mb should be enough.

Actually, to prevent your launcher from splitting into 2 virtual machines, you should make it at around 40 mb.

I'm no expert about it, but that is the experience of others. (I've never tried it at 32 mb or below tongue.gif)

History Part 2. How To Control Your Launcher Redraws by Making It Bulletproof!

Most of you know about CM's "Lock Home In Memory" setting and how we would still get screen redraws after enabling it.

My suggested AMM settings above should be enough prevent that. You should hardly ever get screen redraws anymore.

But some people were still getting them.

I tried increasing the appropriate priority (for android.process.acore - which includes com.android.launcher) in AMM but the setting wouldn't "stick"

Android would revert it back to where it was - in the Visible App group with a priority of 1.

I had seen how foreground apps had a priority of 0 or -12 or -16 and I came up with a permanent solution - "The Bulletproof Launcher"

Here's how you can have a Bulletproof Launcher!

The line "ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1" in /data/local.prop also keeps home in memory - it has the same effect as CM's "Lock Home In Memory".

So in light of what I was seeing in AMM, I have changed it to 0 so it now reads:

ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=0

(blank line)

Note: If there isn't a blank line at the end, the ro.HOME_APP_ADJ entry gets deleted.

If you do this and reboot, AMM may still show that android.process.acore (or whereever your launcher is) with a priority of 1

If that's the case, disabled CM's setting to lock home in memory.

Now, if you go back to AMM, you should see that android.process.acore is now a foreground app with a priority of 0... BOOYA!

Notes: Obviously, CM's "Lock Home In Memory" overrides the setting in local.prop.

.......... CM will set the priority back to 1 after local.prop gives a priority of 0.

.......... That's why CM's setting has to be disabled - so that the local.prop setting will "stick"

.......... Gaming Tip - You can use CM's lock home in memory as a "Safety Lock" - to toggle your launcher from Bulletproof (0) to Killable (1)

............................. If having problems with a game, put the "Safety Lock" on so the launcher is "killable" so android can free up some extra ram.

Note that BulletProofing is NO LONGER RECOMMENDED! The Hard To Kill Launcher is the PERFECT SOLUTION!

History Part 3. Blah Blah Blah...

Interesting Notes: I had installed the Telus Froyo Update yesterday (03/25/11) and still have it installed.

.......................... Only now did I think to look at the minfree values tongue.gif

.......................... 8, 12, 24, 28, 32, 32 <--- Telus Froyo. I'm a little shocked by the 3rd slot, 24mb?! eek.gif

.......................... 6, 8, 24, 26, 28, 30 <----- See, I'm not crazy! Telus Froyo values are very similar to my Balanced Settings cool.gif

.......................... In comparison, my Balanced script keeps your foreground apps alive longer, same free ram & more friendly to background apps!

.......................... For completeness:

.......................... 6, 8, 16, 20, 22, 24 <---- CM6 (Froyo)

.......................... 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32 <---- CM7 (Gingerbread)

.......................... 8, 12, 16, 24, 28, 32 <--- Google's Gingbread values, according to this.

Notes: Minfree changes take effect immediately! This means you can switch from Balanced settings to Gaming and back again without rebooting!

.......... Switching between Hard To Kill and BulletProof Launchers require a reboot to take effect.

.......... Disable your OS's "Lock Home in Memory" option, if it has it. This takes effect immediately.

.......... Or use "Lock Home in Memory" as a "Saftey Lock" - to toggle your launcher from "Bulletproof" (0) or HTK (1) to "Weak" (2)

.......... Note: "Lock Home in Memory" is not 1 with my OOM Grouping/Priority Fixes wink.gif

Cool Tip: Sometimes it's difficult to keep a wanted background app alive, such as an SMS app.

............. If you're in this situation, check out how to Bulletproof Background Apps!

Remember: When using scripts, use the SuperUser app to DISABLE SuperUser permissions for AMM!

................. It can still monitor your OOM groupings but it can't change your custom settings on boot.

................. If you have AKMO installed, disable it's option to Apply Settings at Boot!

If you are using compcache and have lag or slow down after SuperCharging,

DISABLE compache, wipe caches and re-enable it.

Also make sure to uncheck/disable lock home in memory! (and leave it unchecked)

V6_SuperCharger-AOR.zip is for Androidiani OpenRecovery for Milestone!! - For Milestone ONLY!Attached Fileszip.gifV6_SuperCharger-AOR.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.8 KB, 5482 views)txt.gifV6_SuperCharger_for_Android-update7.sh.txt - [Click for QR Code] (40.6 KB, 3896 views)txt.gifV6_SuperCharger_for_Android-update8.sh.txt - [Click for QR Code] (41.0 KB, 9482 views) __________________

|||Get the V6 SuperCharger! Your Phone will FLY!|||Handy Dandy Fixes!|||Calibrate Your Battery On The Fly!|||Post Your Milestone/Droid Smartbench Score!|||

JIT = On, VM Heap = 40 mb, SuperCharged minfree = 6 - 8 - 26 - 28 - 28 - 30, Home/Launcher = HARD TO KILL! cool.gif

**ALL CREDITS GO TO zeppelinrox AND ANY OTHER

DEVS INVOLVED IN THIS PERFORMANCE MOD**

Edited by highaltitude

Guest highaltitude

so far my friend with his Droid X has tried this and said it works. He said it is very smooth, powerful, and stable. The 3G thing definitely makes a difference and he got over 2200 on Quadrant too! I am going to try it shortly myself.

Guest ID10T

so far my friend with his Droid X has tried this and said it works. He said it is very smooth, powerful, and stable. The 3G thing definitely makes a difference and he got over 2200 on Quadrant too! I am going to try it shortly myself.

sh;t, thats lot of reading!!

Bud light presents real american hero:

we salute you mr. super charger / memory fixer upper!

you said it brother...:D .

Edited by ID10T

Guest highaltitude

thread hve been copy pasted without being read by op.I think.

Why what do you mean. I didnt say it was for X10, but just that it was interesting info. I did say my friend was able to use this on his Droid X with positive results, and when I get time was going to try it on my x10. I never stated it would definitly work, but posted rather in the hopes someone with more Androids smarts than I may see if there is some possibility in it.

Guest vatis

Just for your information ....

I just tested the file and its harmless , my phone still working :P

Anyway i installed the v6 version 8 and to be honest i am feeling the phone lighter . More responsive and fast.

First quadrant score 1486 and second @ 1571.

I also checked the script from the tutorial and seems to running.

Cheers

Vatis

Edited by vatis

Guest Z3US911

Just for your information ....

I just tested the file and its harmless , my phone still working :P

Anyway i installed the v6 version 8 and to be honest i am feeling the phone lighter . More responsive and fast.

First quadrant score 1486 and second @ 1571.

I also checked the script from the tutorial and seems to running.

Cheers

Vatis

how much free ram u got...??

Guest Nazaroth2

148 free used 90

Vatis

148 MB free RAM ? that seems a tad high to me, I usually have between 50-90 MB free RAM

Thought it was better to have as little as possible free RAM, as explained in this article:

http://droid-den.com/android-guides/android-guide-should-i-use-a-task-killer/

did u have around 148 free before applying the super charger/mem fix?

thanks

Guest GlossGhost

148 MB free RAM ? that seems a tad high to me, I usually have between 50-90 MB free RAM

Thought it was better to have as little as possible free RAM, as explained in this article:

http://droid-den.com...-a-task-killer/

did u have around 148 free before applying the super charger/mem fix?

thanks

I got 132 MB free RAM. It is high I was not able to get 148 MB free RAM.

Before I was getting around 90-92 MB free RAM.