Galaxy S wont go past Splash screen?

Guest AndroidNinja

Guest AndroidNinja

Thanks I've done the hard factory reset but another problem. When I start it up it sends up an error at the home screen which is something along the lines of ''application %1$ (process%2$s) has stopped working'' and it gives me an option to report. When I do this (or press back button) all I get is a black home screen. The bar pulls down from the top and Bluetooth,wifi etc can be turned on or off from there but the home is completely black. Also I can lock the phone and lock it by pulling the lock screen up. When I reboot it it gets stuck at the splash screen again and I have to hard reset to get it back to the black homescreen.

Guest richardj

Actually underneath the error message it says setup wizard has ended unexpectedly

Can you get the phone into download mode, power off, press and hold the following keys> volume down + Home + Power. If you can get into download mode you can then re-flash the firmware using odin.

Guest richardj

It goes into download mode but I don't know how to flash it and all that.

Head over to smafirmware.com, register on the site. If your in the UK you need to download either of these I9000XXJVQ or I9000XXJVR. Inside the download you will find what you need to flash the new firmware. You will also find a guide to flashing on samfirmware.com.

You can send me a PM if you need more help.

Guest AndroidNinja

Head over to smafirmware.com, register on the site. If your in the UK you need to download either of these I9000XXJVQ or I9000XXJVR. Inside the download you will find what you need to flash the new firmware. You will also find a guide to flashing on samfirmware.com.

You can send me a PM if you need more help.

Thanks but just wondering the comments beneath the I9000XXJVQ ROM don't sound so positive. Have you personally treid it. I cant find the other rom either

Guest AndroidNinja

Thanks but just wondering the comments beneath the I9000XXJVR ROM don't sound so positive. Have you personally treid it. I cant find the other rom either

Guest richardj

OK finally fixed the problem thanks to this easy tutorial (

) and your clear help. Thanks a bunch mate!

Your more than welcome. Glad you have sorted it out. That video is a good one. If you want to flash a custom rom at some point there are quite a few to choose from, I'm using one called F1 GS2 v6 with the Galaxian kernel. It has the look and fell of the Galaxy S II and it's stupidly fast.

Guest richardj

Thanks but just wondering what do kernels do? And can you mix and match any kernel with any ROM?

I hope this helps to explain what a kernel is, it's quite difficult to explain so I borrowed the following from wikipedia. Yes you can mix and match kernels to different roms, providing the Firmware/Rom version matches the kernel version. If you are using say a firmware or Rom that is JVP then you would need a kernel for JVP. The F1 Rom I am currently using has the Dark Core kernel to start with, but I flashed the Galaxian kernel which helps to speed the phone up.

In computing, the kernel is the main component of most computer operating systems; it is a bridge between applications and the actual data processing done at the hardware level. The kernel's responsibilities include managing the system's resources (the communication between hardware and software components).[1] Usually as a basic component of an operating system, a kernel can provide the lowest-level abstraction layer for the resources (especially processors and I/O devices) that application software must control to perform its function. It typically makes these facilities available to application processes through inter-process communication mechanisms and system calls.

Operating system tasks are done differently by different kernels, depending on their design and implementation. While monolithic kernels execute all the operating system code in the same address space to increase the performance of the system, microkernels run most of the operating system services in user space as servers, aiming to improve maintainability and modularity of the operating system.[2] A range of possibilities exists between these two extremes.

Edited by richardj

Guest AndroidNinja

I hope this helps to explain what a kernel is, it's quite difficult to explain so I borrowed the following from wikipedia. Yes you can mix and match kernels to different roms, providing the Firmware/Rom version matches the kernel version. If you are using say a firmware or Rom that is JVP then you would need a kernel for JVP. The F1 Rom I am currently using has the Dark Core kernel to start with, but I flashed the Galaxian kernel which helps to speed the phone up.

In computing, the kernel is the main component of most computer operating systems; it is a bridge between applications and the actual data processing done at the hardware level. The kernel's responsibilities include managing the system's resources (the communication between hardware and software components).[1] Usually as a basic component of an operating system, a kernel can provide the lowest-level abstraction layer for the resources (especially processors and I/O devices) that application software must control to perform its function. It typically makes these facilities available to application processes through inter-process communication mechanisms and system calls.

Operating system tasks are done differently by different kernels, depending on their design and implementation. While monolithic kernels execute all the operating system code in the same address space to increase the performance of the system, microkernels run most of the operating system services in user space as servers, aiming to improve maintainability and modularity of the operating system.[2] A range of possibilities exists between these two extremes.

Thanks mate!