Ad-hoc network support for the Blade?

Guest robinhud2010

Guest robinhud2010

I failed to connect to an ad-hoc wifi network i had set up from my laptop , using my Blade while my cheaper non-android phone managed to connect effortlessly. After some googling i found out android does not natively support ad-hoc connections. This is a real problem for me since i don't have a wifi network in my vicinity.

After a bit more researching i found some links to guides about how to hack android sdk to support ad-hoc connections.Now, for a noobie who's avoided ADB all his life, i decided to skip these links. Anyway, those seemed to be only for older versions of android, and HTC phones. Luckily i also found link to flashable zip:

Link - http://exop.pro/blog/2010/08/15/ad-hoc-support-for-android

Using the info in the link, i found that my version of wpa_supplicant is 0.6.9. Then i used the universal wpa_supplicant for 0.6.x from HERE and HERE to replace my old one in /system/bin using root explorer. However this completely bricked my wifi as i can no longer see ANY wifi networks and wifi automatically turns off after a few seconds so i had to restore backup of my old wpa_supplicant. I, however, ignored step 2 as ididn/t understand it. Here it is:

"changed the properties with chown root.shell /system/bin/wpa_supplicant on how they were in the original file."

Maybe this is why it isn't working?

I have attached the files so that others can test. If this doesn't work for others as well, can some dev tweak this into a flashable .zip optimised fro the Blade? Thanks.

PS: i don't know how to use the diff.txt file.

diff.txt

wpa_supplicant.zip

Edited by robinhud2010

Guest robinhud2010

C'mon - no one? The blade is quite popular so i figure somebody must have enabled adhoc successfully. Any links would be helpful...

EDIT: Here's another ive tried which works like the original wifi but does not detect ad-hoc networks.

PS:it would be prudent to make a nandroid backup or at the very least a backup of your current wpa_supplicant.conf before you try this.

wpa_supplicant.rar

Edited by robinhud2010

Guest unrandomsam

C'mon - no one? The blade is quite popular so i figure somebody must have enabled adhoc successfully. Any links would be helpful...

EDIT: Here's another ive tried which works like the original wifi but does not detect ad-hoc networks.

What have you tried ?

Does barnacle wifi tether work ?

or

Android Wifi Tether ?

If you really cannot get it working use the blade in ap mode

but a static ip address and no gateway.

Guest OmenosTM

Cyanogen rom's detect AD-HOC network, but it's allway stock for me on "getting IP" I tryed many files, same result like your's (Wifi stop working, or on/off loop)<br>

Edited by OmenosTM

Guest robinhud2010

What have you tried ?

Does barnacle wifi tether work ?

or

Android Wifi Tether ?

If you really cannot get it working use the blade in ap mode

but a static ip address and no gateway.

sorry if i wasn't clear in the first post. i'm trying to connect my phone to my notebook's adhoc wifi network not the other way around so i'm not sure how barnacle would help. As for changing the static ip in ap mode can you give me more detais on how to do that?

Seems to be comming on CM7 : http://review.cyanog...om/#change,7306

Good to hear that! Is there any way i can use the patch right now on my gsf?

Guest u116040

Good to hear that! Is there any way i can use the patch right now on my gsf?

Maybe using the future (nightly with merged patch) CM wpa_supplicant binary, but I'm not confident about this.

Guest swisstourist

i downloaded the "WPA supliant" and tried to to install it in the "system/bin" in the blade.

see if ad-hoc works with ginger blue 2.3.4

it make copy, but can not paste it.

any idea?

Guest t0mm13b

After a bit more researching i found some links to guides about how to hack android sdk to support ad-hoc connections.Now, for a noobie who's avoided ADB all his life, i decided to skip these links. Anyway, those seemed to be only for older versions of android, and HTC phones. Luckily i also found link to flashable zip:

Can I point out that this is an old post - going back to 2010 - targetting froyo builds. That's why it does not work as you say.

Wait for the official CM7 nightly to be rolled out with ad-hoc support.

Guest robinhud2010

i downloaded the "WPA supliant" and tried to to install it in the "system/bin" in the blade.

see if ad-hoc works with ginger blue 2.3.4

it make copy, but can not paste it.

any idea?

Try enlabling R/W mount if your'e using root explorer. in es file explorer mount file system as writable in settinngs>root options.

First extract the zip file to get to the wpa_supplicant file (no file extensions shown on windows), then place it in system/bin.

Edited by robinhud2010

Guest ufoman

Cyanogen rom's detect AD-HOC network, but it's allway stock for me on "getting IP" I tryed many files, same result like your's (Wifi stop working, or on/off loop)<br>

Is there any DHCP server running on the computer?

Guest robinhud2010

Ok, i found a great guide on enabling adhoc support here:

http://androidtablet...ndroid-tablets/

It also comes with a idiot-proof video tutorial as well. Only confusin is that its meant for android tablets. So would it brick my wifi if i attempted this? Of course there is an option to revert it - so should i go for it?

EDIT: Do not try. seems to be another wpa_supplicant replacement. What's more, my phone is not booting (doesn't go past splash screen).

Edited by robinhud2010

Guest unrandomsam

Ok, i found a great guide on enabling adhoc support here:

http://androidtablet...ndroid-tablets/

It also comes with a idiot-proof video tutorial as well. Only confusin is that its meant for android tablets. So would it brick my wifi if i attempted this? Of course there is an option to revert it - so should i go for it?

EDIT: Do not try. seems to be another wpa_supplicant replacement. What's more, my phone is not booting (doesn't go past splash screen).

Try it manually (using iwconfig and friends).

(You get them all in the android.tether app for root users).

• 5 months later...

I failed to connect to an ad-hoc wifi network i had set up from my laptop , using my Blade while my cheaper non-android phone managed to connect effortlessly. After some googling i found out android does not natively support ad-hoc connections. This is a real problem for me since i don't have a wifi network in my vicinity.

Using the info in the link, i found that my version of wpa_supplicant is 0.6.9. Then i used the universal wpa_supplicant for 0.6.x from HERE and HERE to replace my old one in /system/bin using root explorer. However this completely bricked my wifi as i can no longer see ANY wifi networks and wifi automatically turns off after a few seconds so i had to restore backup of my old wpa_supplicant. I, however, ignored step 2 as ididn/t understand it. Here it is:

"changed the properties with chown root.shell /system/bin/wpa_supplicant on how they were in the original file."

Maybe this is why it isn't working?

I have attached the files so that others can test. If this doesn't work for others as well, can some dev tweak this into a flashable .zip optimised fro the Blade? Thanks.

PS: i don't know how to use the diff.txt file.

Easiest would be to use the program connectify. If you are on windows vista, it will only generate an ad hoc network. This might not be detected by zte blade stock rom. I had this issue, but once I upgraded to CM 7.1, it is detecting and connecting to connectify hotspot on my vista laptop .

Guest robinhud2010

Easiest would be to use the program connectify. If you are on windows vista, it will only generate an ad hoc network. This might not be detected by zte blade stock rom. I had this issue, but once I upgraded to CM 7.1, it is detecting and connecting to connectify hotspot on my vista laptop .

I did use connectify on my windows 7 laptop before i posted this, thanks. It was a long time ago, before cm 7.1 i think. Since then i've moved on to moldovan rom and i'm not in a position to test it now. Good to know it's been integrated into the rom. Might check it out tho when 7.2 comes along...

Guest probals

If the purpose is to share the notebook's Wifi connection with your ph, then (as already mentioned) Connectify is the way to go.

Another s/w u could use on your PC is Maryfi. I was having a few issues with Connectify, so using Maryfi now.

If you want to share files, remote access, etc. just add an app called Airdroid along with the above.

Hope that helps.

P