Prospective Vega newbie

Guest colinf

Guest colinf

Hi

im not a tecchie and know nothing about android or much else lol

I like the look of the vega and have read the many reviews which basically say that its good value for money once the ROM (whatever that is) is changed via modaco - hence this is why ive joined.

What exactly do you need to do to get the vega modified and is it painless and easy to do?

I appreciate this topic has probably been done to death somewhere on here, but please humour me before i go out and spend £200 on something that looks good but I cant modify!

Thanks

Colin

Guest Durbybard

Hi

im not a tecchie and know nothing about android or much else lol

I like the look of the vega and have read the many reviews which basically say that its good value for money once the ROM (whatever that is) is changed via modaco - hence this is why ive joined.

What exactly do you need to do to get the vega modified and is it painless and easy to do?

I appreciate this topic has probably been done to death somewhere on here, but please humour me before i go out and spend £200 on something that looks good but I cant modify!

Thanks

Colin

Hiya, and welcome....

It is pretty easy to mod the rom on these things, 4 weeks ago i got my vega and hardly had any idea of what to do, now i can pretty much do most things on it thanks to this forum.

First thing is to use AUDI drivers (i have not used them myself as i installed the drivers manually) to get the vega to talk to your PC with drivers specific to rom updating.

The next thing i would do is grab Vega Tools 4, i have just been playing with it today and it's really easy to use, really useful for a vega newbie like yourself and gives loads of options,

Next i would install clockworkmod and recovery app onto your vega, this can be done with vega tools 4, make sure your vega has usb debug enabled before you try install which is settings/applications/development then the top tab to be ticked.

Next download the rom you want, options are modaco R8 (which i use) corvus 5 sp1(can't seem to get it stable on my vega) vegacomb 1.7 (honeycomb based rom which is still in development and more beta than complete/stable) and Cynogen 7 rom (never used it) and copy to your memory card on your vega which is done by connecting to PC, enable usb on vega, drag and drop the file to sdcard once it's mounted on pc (DO NOT DROP INTO A FOLDER, harder to locate)

Next go into your apps and run recovery app, this will boot the vega into clockworkmod app, (the volume buttons move the bar up and down to select, the power button is for selecting required tab and back button to exit to previous screen)

once in there you have options, i would first tab down to backup and restore and do a backup of your stock rom, then once done, go back to main screen and wipe cache partition, then wipe data/factory reset, then tab down to advanced and wipe dalvik cache, then back to the home screen and goto install zip from sdcard then choose a zip from sdcard and point it to your chosen rom, click and it will install, when done back to home screen and reboot, enjoy your new vega with custom rom installed.

Vega tools 4 can also install custom boot screens, all are awesome.

Also, look for an app called launcher pro from the market, a custom screen setup with some nice touches (i use VTL Launcher myself) tho miss the flip to next screen option from launcher pro.

To install flash for iplayer etc, grab GLES libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101206_v10.1.120.1_signed (search GLES on this forum) which works perfect for me playing flash content, the market 10.3 flash gives artifacts.

If you want to have a honeycomb theme, then again look on this forum for download link, to install run recovery and click install zip from sdcard, choose zip from sdcard and select the homneycomb theme, it will install, then reboot, and done, looks nice too.

Think thats about it, hope this helps, and good luck if you buy a vega, they are fun and there are some awesome games from tegrazone app.

Chris

Guest colinf

Hiya, and welcome....

It is pretty easy to mod the rom on these things, 4 weeks ago i got my vega and hardly had any idea of what to do, now i can pretty much do most things on it thanks to this forum.

First thing is to use AUDI drivers (i have not used them myself as i installed the drivers manually) to get the vega to talk to your PC with drivers specific to rom updating.

The next thing i would do is grab Vega Tools 4, i have just been playing with it today and it's really easy to use, really useful for a vega newbie like yourself and gives loads of options,

Next i would install clockworkmod and recovery app onto your vega, this can be done with vega tools 4, make sure your vega has usb debug enabled before you try install which is settings/applications/development then the top tab to be ticked.

Next download the rom you want, options are modaco R8 (which i use) corvus 5 sp1(can't seem to get it stable on my vega) vegacomb 1.7 (honeycomb based rom which is still in development and more beta than complete/stable) and Cynogen 7 rom (never used it) and copy to your memory card on your vega which is done by connecting to PC, enable usb on vega, drag and drop the file to sdcard once it's mounted on pc (DO NOT DROP INTO A FOLDER, harder to locate)

Next go into your apps and run recovery app, this will boot the vega into clockworkmod app, (the volume buttons move the bar up and down to select, the power button is for selecting required tab and back button to exit to previous screen)

once in there you have options, i would first tab down to backup and restore and do a backup of your stock rom, then once done, go back to main screen and wipe cache partition, then wipe data/factory reset, then tab down to advanced and wipe dalvik cache, then back to the home screen and goto install zip from sdcard then choose a zip from sdcard and point it to your chosen rom, click and it will install, when done back to home screen and reboot, enjoy your new vega with custom rom installed.

Also, look for an app called launcher pro from the market, a custom screen setup with some nice touches (i use VTL Launcher myself) tho miss the flip to next screen option from launcher pro.

To install flash for iplayer etc, grab GLES libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101206_v10.1.120.1_signed (search GLES on this forum) which works perfect for me playing flash content, the market 10.3 flash gives artifacts.

If you want to have a honeycomb theme, then again look on this forum for download link, to install run recovery and click install zip from sdcard, choose zip from sdcard and select the homneycomb theme, it will install, then reboot, and done, looks nice too.

Think thats about it, hope this helps, and good luck if you buy a vega, they are fun and there are some awesome games from tegrazone app.

Chris

Thanks Chris - none of that made sense lol but i guess it wouldnt until you buy one and follow your instructions - i always thought audi was a car!

What is honeycomb? what is the advantage of it. I am completely new to android . Come to think of it what is 'kitchen' that i read about?

I had another play with a vega in currys this evening - in the reviews i read they all said the viewing angle was crap but to be honest it really didnt seem to be too bad - not for 200 notes anyway!

Guest Adam:)

Thanks Chris - none of that made sense lol but i guess it wouldnt until you buy one and follow your instructions - i always thought audi was a car!

What is honeycomb? what is the advantage of it. I am completely new to android . Come to think of it what is 'kitchen' that i read about?

I had another play with a vega in currys this evening - in the reviews i read they all said the viewing angle was crap but to be honest it really didnt seem to be too bad - not for 200 notes anyway!

haha gd joke wit the audi ;)

honeycomb is the latest android OS, made especially for tablets.

kitchen is wat many ad free modaco users use to custom make there own roms.

any other questions? :)

Guest Durbybard

does anyone on here ever offer to talk through on the phone with compete novices?

Hiya, i guess if you've never done anything like this it could look very confusing.

Below is a link that will explain the process of installing a rom onto the vega, it's by a guy called evil bobbins and this is how i installed my roms, but if you watch from about 11 mins onwards that will explain the clockworkmod side of the install, the first 11 mins is not needed as you can do all that if you download and install the AUDI drivers and Vega Tools 4 from this site and download and copy of the rom you want to your memory card and follow my previous posts instructions (i would go with modaco R8 as it's very similar to the stock rom you get with your new tablet but with extras like recovery and market and others included in the rom)

As for phone support, i guess if you private message me (if it can be done on this forum) i can give you my phone number and if you run into problems then i maybe able to assist, there was a guy on here that did remote rom upgrade services for people, but that was awhile ago and to be honest i don't know how to set that up altho remote PC assistance is my next main thing i will learn to help with friends PC's when they get stuck.

Do some more reading about topics to do with rom updates and watch the youtube video (from the part where he uses clockworkmod, about 11 mins in) and don't get scared, as of now, NOT ONE person has ever bricked a vega, (bricked = killed, won't boot, won't work etc) it's impossible as far as i can see from my experiences.

Chris

Guest South1

Hi,. sorry to hijack your thread Colin but i am/was in a similar boat to you, except i own a Vega and have already installed R8 which was pretty easy to do thanks to this forum (think i flucked it to be honest) but am curious to know about the other things listed by durbybard such as vega tools 4 and the clockwork mod, can i install these now i am running r8 and what are the benifits?? Have been using the vega for a couple of weeks (just internet browsing) now and looking at what to do next and to improve/enhance it. Also can anyone help me with my wifi as i have to go in to settings and select it each time i restart and select my wifi. Should this not always connect my itself? Will try to enable flash as you described because like you say the the market 10.3 flash gives artifacts. Thanks.....

Hiya, and welcome....

Chris

Guest Durbybard

Hi,. sorry to hijack your thread Colin but i am/was in a similar boat to you, except i own a Vega and have already installed R8 which was pretty easy to do thanks to this forum (think i flucked it to be honest) but am curious to know about the other things listed by durbybard such as vega tools 4 and the clockwork mod, can i install these now i am running r8 and what are the benifits?? Have been using the vega for a couple of weeks (just internet browsing) now and looking at what to do next and to improve/enhance it. Also can anyone help me with my wifi as i have to go in to settings and select it each time i restart and select my wifi. Should this not always connect my itself? Will try to enable flash as you described because like you say the the market 10.3 flash gives artifacts. Thanks.....

Hiya bud, ok, Vega Tools 4 is a windows application that you can install, it has alot of features built into it to assist upgrades of roms etc, the one cool feature is the ability to install custom boot screens to your vega with the usb cable installed and usb debugging enabled on the vega and the ADB driver on your PC to push the custom screen command, to get an idea how to install the ADB driver look at the post on here about tethering, lower down i've explained how to install the driver.

Recovery and Clockwork mod are the same thing, on the vega the app is called recovery, when you run it, it reboots into a program called clockworkmod, this is useful for installing custom themes like honeycomb theme (same principal as installing a rom, find the zip, copy to your sdcard, run recovery, install zip file from sdcard, choose zip and install) and also for doing backups and restores of your roms that you have installed.

So things to improve/change the vega, first custom boot screen, the ones in vega tools 4 are cool (using the bubble android one myself), then maybe the honeycomb theme would be a nice addition too, and look for an app on the market called Launcher Pro, launcher pro is a new home screen layout, doesn't change the main bar at top (honeycomb theme does that) but changes the dock bar at the side and allows you to change/add icons and you can also download ADW themes to change the icons, text etc. Also look at VTL launcher, this is a paid app that does the same as launcher pro, but with some added options to change things (can do the same in launcher pro if you upgrade), but the thing i loved and miss about launcher pro was the way to change the screen swipe, the flip setting looks awesome.

Hope this helps, anything else you need to know then just ask.

Chris

Guest South1

Sounds good, how do i install them? :unsure: Ta.

Hiya bud, ok, Vega Tools 4 is a windows application that you can install, it has alot of features built into it to assist upgrades of roms etc, the one cool feature is the ability to install custom boot screens to your vega with the usb cable installed and usb debugging enabled on the vega and the ADB driver on your PC to push the custom screen command, to get an idea how to install the ADB driver look at the post on here about tethering, lower down i've explained how to install the driver.

Recovery and Clockwork mod are the same thing, on the vega the app is called recovery, when you run it, it reboots into a program called clockworkmod, this is useful for installing custom themes like honeycomb theme (same principal as installing a rom, find the zip, copy to your sdcard, run recovery, install zip file from sdcard, choose zip and install) and also for doing backups and restores of your roms that you have installed.

So things to improve/change the vega, first custom boot screen, the ones in vega tools 4 are cool (using the bubble android one myself), then maybe the honeycomb theme would be a nice addition too, and look for an app on the market called Launcher Pro, launcher pro is a new home screen layout, doesn't change the main bar at top (honeycomb theme does that) but changes the dock bar at the side and allows you to change/add icons and you can also download ADW themes to change the icons, text etc. Also look at VTL launcher, this is a paid app that does the same as launcher pro, but with some added options to change things (can do the same in launcher pro if you upgrade), but the thing i loved and miss about launcher pro was the way to change the screen swipe, the flip setting looks awesome.

Hope this helps, anything else you need to know then just ask.

Chris

Guest premieral

On the wifi issue check in your advanced wifi settings that you have never sleep set as the option to prevent it disconnecting on screen off, and don't worry about installing adb driver as mentioned in an earlier reply as you have all the drivers you need for the adb if you have installed r8