CM7/GSF/MCSF Circle Battery Icon Mod [CM7.1.0, GSF B17-B27 and MCSF v1]

Guest nrev

CM7 has an inbuilt battery percentage feature (settings->CyanogenMod settings->Interface->Status bar tweaks->Battery percentage) but I prefer these circle battery icons.

I haven't had time to explore the themes listed in the excellent thread here to see whether there is something suitable there (there didn't seem to be at first glance), so I've simply used UOT kitchen and added the circle battery icons on top of the Androidian theme distributed with CM7.

Unfortunately installation with Theme Chooser raises an error ("Sorry, this theme is missing assets for your device's screen size") which I haven't found a way around, yet, but just ignoring the error message (press "Apply anyway") works fine for me.

Install with ClockworkMod as usual (a Nandroid backup would be prudent), reboot and then start Theme Chooser and select the newly installed UOT kitchen theme to get circles around your battery percentage - everything else is as in the Androidian theme.

post-812805-0-45377100-1318378183_thumb.

cm-7.1.0-Blade-circles-thin-white.zip

MD5: 6702a1504302dbfc4bde7ad9359256a1

(alternative fat circles and green numbers in the following posts)

See posts #32-35 for versions compatible with the standard system CM7 theme.

Edited by nrev

Any chance making these with the default 'system' colour scheme? I am not sold on green for the bounce effect / buttons pressed background.

OK, I'm working on it. As soon as the UOT kitchen has some spare slots I'll have a go (it is very busy these days!).

The system "theme" in CM7 is not packaged as a self-contained apk file, which would be needed to cook a derived theme compatible with Theme Chooser. However, I have baked the following using the same method as for non-CM7 ROMs (by modifying SystemUI and framework-res). This works, but a significant side effect is that the circle battery is then fixed as the system battery icon. This means that any other theme you may apply in Theme Chooser will also have the circle battery icon, unless the theme explicitly overrides it with its own battery icons. For example, Cyanbread will display this green battery icon and it looks a bit odd when everything else is cyan. The original battery icon can be restored easily, though, just by reflashing the CM7 ROM.

If you are OK with the above then you can install the zip below. Use ClockworkMod as usual, reboot and the circle battery will be there - no need to play with Theme Chooser.

Note: because this mod replaces some system files it should only be applied to CM7.1.0 stable. I haven't checked all later nightlies, but, as posted later in this thread, framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk have changed in n241, so please do not assume these will work on later nightly builds - however the Androidian mods, in the posts above, should work in all version of CM7.

post-812805-0-73975800-1318549190_thumb.

cm-7.1.0-Blade-circles-mod-thin-white.zip

MD5: 44198377fd9cc5b1a74af29056710e11

Edited by nrev

Guest jackal-sk

I've installed cm-7.1.0-Blade-circles-mod-thin-green.zip non-CM7 ROM way and the sej's soft buttons vanished together with its' settings in CM -> Tablet tweaks.

I've installed cm-7.1.0-Blade-circles-mod-thin-green.zip non-CM7 ROM way and the sej's soft buttons vanished together with its' settings in CM -> Tablet tweaks.

Hi - I replied in the CM7 thread here. The issue is that the theme mod was only built for CM 7.1.0 stable or similar ROMs that have not changed the framework or system UI. sej's ROM had modified those settings to get the soft buttons working, and by applying the mod you have overwritten his original files. The solution is to bake your own custom theme (pasting from my reply in the other thread):

The solution is to make your own in UOT kitchen. Extract framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk from sej's ROM and upload them to UOT kitchen under System files in the File upload tab. Extract settings.uot from your favourite circle mod and also upload it under Kitchen's settings. Submit it, wait an hour or so and you will have your own custom theme mod with all the goodies from sej + the circle battery icon.

I just installed this mod on my blade, CM 7.1, and now my phone won't boot. It just constantly repeats the same screen of the little android chap on a skateboard as the phone boots up.

Gunna have to reinstall everything for the third time now, after installing GSF and then 7.1 merely days later.

Edited by russco

I just installed this mod on my blade, CM 7.1, and now my phone won't boot. It just constantly repeats the same screen of the little android chap on a skateboard as the phone boots up.

Gunna have to reinstall everything for the third time now, after installing GSF and then 7.1 merely days later.

No need to reinstall and lose your settings, the symptoms you describe usually only happen for a couple of reasons:

1. the download was corrupted (you can always check the MD5 sum of the file you copied to your phone against the one listed against the mod), or

2. you downloaded and installed the wrong version (e.g. the GSF mod on CM7)

You don't need to wipe and start from scratch. Just boot into recovery and use ClockworkMod to reflash the original ROM zip file without wiping data etc. This will overwrite the changes made by the theme/mod and you should be back to where you were before.

It is always a good idea to do a Nandroid backup before installing any mod, just in case, but reinstalling the ROM should be enough if you forget.

Edited by nrev

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jackal-sk

The system "theme" in CM7 is not packaged as a self-contained apk file, which would be needed to cook a derived theme compatible with Theme Chooser. However, I have baked the following using the same method as for non-CM7 ROMs (by modifying SystemUI and framework-res). This works, but a significant side effect is that the circle battery is then fixed as the system battery icon. This means that any other theme you may apply in Theme Chooser will also have the circle battery icon, unless the theme explicitly overrides it with its own battery icons. For example, Cyanbread will display this green battery icon and it looks a bit odd when everything else is cyan. The original battery icon can be restored easily, though, just by reflashing the CM7 ROM.

If you are OK with the above then you can install the zip below. Use ClockworkMod as usual, reboot and the circle battery will be there - no need to play with Theme Chooser.

Note: because this mod replaces some system files it should only be applied to CM7.1.0 stable (and possibly to later nightlies or other derived ROMs that have not changed framework-res.apk or SystemUI.apk).

post-812805-0-73975800-1318549190_thumb.

cm-7.1.0-Blade-circles-mod-thin-white.zip

MD5: 44198377fd9cc5b1a74af29056710e11

I applied this to current n241 build, the battery indicator got bugged together with Power Menu, turn off option vanished and other options are random strings. Probably systemui.apk has changed. Do I need to calibrate the battery again after reflashing the n241 back (+dalvik, cache wipe)?

Edit:

Also, can anyone make this version of white circle mod for current system theme ? I love it but can't use it :<

Edited by jackal-sk

I applied this to current n241 build, the battery indicator got bugged together with Power Menu, turn off option vanished and other options are random strings. Probably systemui.apk has changed. Do I need to calibrate the battery again after reflashing the n241 back (+dalvik, cache wipe)?

Edit:

Also, can anyone make this version of white circle mod for current system theme ? I love it but can't use it :<

Both framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk have changed since 7.1.0 stable so the system theme mods in posts #32-35 are not compatible with the nightly builds.

You can get back to where you were before applying the mod simply by reflashing n241 again. No need to wipe anything - see A1 in the FAQ in post #1.

I wasn't planning on updating the system theme mods for every CM7 nightly build. As an alternative you can use the Androidian theme mod to be applied with theme chooser (posts #26-29) which should be compatible with all versions of CM7, but if you want a system theme circle battery mod for the various nightlies you can easily build your own in UOT kitchen - see the A2b in the FAQ in post #1 for instructions and hints on how to use the colours and other settings from the themes/mods in this thread.

I hope the FAQ helps. If there is anything missing please shout. If you make something for n241 that works please post it to save everyone from needing to do the same - especially as the kitchen is massively over subscribed these days.

Edited by nrev

• 1 month later...
Guest jackal-sk

I've uploaded framework-res, systemui from the latest burstlam's rom update-cm-7.2.0-RC0-Blade-KANG-signed.zip also extracted settings.uot from GSF-thin-circle-battery-new-colours-white-numbers.zip and after UOT finished, flashed the zip.

The battery bar is now broken only some green bits are displayed. Can anyone advise what might be rong ?

Edit:

It works now after changing Battery status style to Default :).

Edited by jackal-sk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...