low RAM - optimus2x disappointment

Guest nitko

Guest WizPappy

I am using taskiller just to see what is active...

How much memory does your device show in available RAM? I have 370Mb

I do have the same here in Canada, and using the X2 now compare to the HTC Desire HD I have before, this X2 is sluggish. The HTC was OC at 1800mhz an running like a breeze. I had tried the Dual Core for fun and sold my HTC but....

By the way I program and work with computer since 30 years, and I find your way to answer this person very agressive... Keep in mind that person might be new to Linux or Android as I am since 6 month only...

I find that having a device with 5Gb of internal free RAM and making 372mg usable is a very bad concept. Unless there is some limitations of the OS (like we had with the 640k on DOS) there is no need to allow only 372 meg for user. What happen when you watch a 750meg movie or record in FULL HD a video at 30fps you think that little 372mb with only 200mb free in my case, doesn't freak out... Moving almost 6 meg per second, writing it to SD, displaying it on the screen to... Did you ever tried to work in a garage with no space...

I aggre that linux seem to manage memory very efficiently, but don't you agree that with 1Gb free and 4Gb available on the Internal SD it would be better...

WizPappy

Guest WizPappy

As I said in your other post, RAM does not equal internal storage/SD card.

I know that, the 2X as 5gb of internal SD, I also have an 8gb External SD cat 10... Don't the Internal SD is internal hardware memory I can't beleive that a machine like that just allow 372mb ram (I guess from it internal memory) to the user...

Maybee I am wrong, but if it the case I bought a Ferrari with a motorcycle engine...

According to Paul O'Brien those are PARTITION wich mean it should be possibly repartitionned

Here is the link http://android.modaco.com/topic/335400-my-lg-optimus-2x-root-hack-dev-progress-findings-braindump/

Partition sizes are as follows:

/lgdrm: 2472K total

/system: 338924K total <----- This is the culprit...

/data: 1523328K total

/cache: 63472K total

/misc: 1976K total

/sdcard: 5773920K total <----- This is the NonSense_____________________________________________________________

WizPappy

Like I said, the internal storage is not the RAM. They are completely different things.

Your /system partition is completely irrelevant, as is your /sdcard partition. In fact, they all are. RAM is nothing to do with that. To try and simplify this, what you're doing is the equivalent of bitching that your PC only has 2GB of RAM when you have a 1TB HDD installed.

The *2X has 512MB RAM, of which 128MB is kept back for the system, leaving 384MB. You can adjust that a bit with a custom kernel, but it was done like that for a reason, things don't work so well when it's messed with (games, camera, probably more).

I don't mean to be rude, but how can you "program and work with computers for 30 years" not knowing the difference between memory and disk space?

Also while watching a video, the total size is completely irrelevant to the amount of memory used. So your example of the 700MB video says nothing. What is of importance is the video format and the bitrate of the video, as in the amount of data (picture and sound) shown at every single moment. A high resolution movie of 20 seconds length will use more memory than a low resolution movie of 20 days, tho the first one will have a data size of 50MB while the second one might be a couple of GB large.