HW acceleration,stage fright,compcache,oom allocation etc etc

Guest l2azor

Guest l2azor

hello fellow modaco'ers :)

this is my first post.. and i think i have some technical questions ,answers to which i have not been able to find on google or somewhere..and the things i find are not very explanatory and show mixed results...just started with this android thing a month back and android is getting geekier and geekier for me AND IM LOVIN IT.... xD

if rom developers can shed some light on the questions that will be very very appreciable ..but nevertheless any knowledge given on these questions will be lauded :)

ok starting with i own a gen 2 blade and i use gsf b19 on it..have removed a couple of pre installed apps..

1) i know that android UI below honeycomb is not rendered via GPU ... i want to know wat makes particular roms soooo smooth and snappy such as BLUE GINGER V5.. the smoothness of the UI is best so far..smoothest of all..ive tried the app "blade buddy" and saw the HW acceleration enabled in both the gsf and blue ginger..moreover in blue ginger stage fright codecs(my next question is related to that) 3 out of 4 are pre-enabled..so i tried enabling the same with blade buddy in gsf b19..but could hardly notice any difference.. so is it inside the rom wat makes the difference???? i mean wat could be the other settings that i could change to achive the smoothness and snappiness in gsf or any other rom......

unrelated: tried spb shell 3d on my blade and i must say performance of that was above expectation... anyone has any idea its gpu rendered or cpu?? coz imho i dont think cpu can produce that..just youtube spb shell 3d and check out the video..i

2) wat are stage fright codecs?? i see 4 of them in blade buddy-- meta,scan,player,http.. wat effect has each on overall performance and snappiness...

3) wat is compcache?? and again its effect on overall performance and snappiness..

4) i came accros this app sysctl config.. its got some technical settings.. viz..

min free kbytes: 32568

dirty ratio: 5

dirty background ratio: 3

vfs cache pressure: 0

Oom allocating task: Enabled

couldnt understand a single bit of it and its effect on things is totally unknown..

5) dont know if possible : can drivers for gpu in the blade be developed so that UI can be rendered thru gpu( dont know wat im saying.. plz dont frown)

hope to get my questions answered..again , even small help will be appreciated..

happy optimising xD

;)

Guest Psyloid

hello fellow modaco'ers :)

this is my first post.. and i think i have some technical questions ,answers to which i have not been able to find on google or somewhere..and the things i find are not very explanatory and show mixed results...just started with this android thing a month back and android is getting geekier and geekier for me AND IM LOVIN IT.... xD

if rom developers can shed some light on the questions that will be very very appreciable ..but nevertheless any knowledge given on these questions will be lauded :)

ok starting with i own a gen 2 blade and i use gsf b19 on it..have removed a couple of pre installed apps..

1) i know that android UI below honeycomb is not rendered via GPU ... i want to know wat makes particular roms soooo smooth and snappy such as BLUE GINGER V5.. the smoothness of the UI is best so far..smoothest of all..ive tried the app "blade buddy" and saw the HW acceleration enabled in both the gsf and blue ginger..moreover in blue ginger stage fright codecs(my next question is related to that) 3 out of 4 are pre-enabled..so i tried enabling the same with blade buddy in gsf b19..but could hardly notice any difference.. so is it inside the rom wat makes the difference???? i mean wat could be the other settings that i could change to achive the smoothness and snappiness in gsf or any other rom......

unrelated: tried spb shell 3d on my blade and i must say performance of that was above expectation... anyone has any idea its gpu rendered or cpu?? coz imho i dont think cpu can produce that..just youtube spb shell 3d and check out the video..i

2) wat are stage fright codecs?? i see 4 of them in blade buddy-- meta,scan,player,http.. wat effect has each on overall performance and snappiness...

3) wat is compcache?? and again its effect on overall performance and snappiness..

4) i came accros this app sysctl config.. its got some technical settings.. viz..

min free kbytes: 32568

dirty ratio: 5

dirty background ratio: 3

vfs cache pressure: 0

Oom allocating task: Enabled

couldnt understand a single bit of it and its effect on things is totally unknown..

5) dont know if possible : can drivers for gpu in the blade be developed so that UI can be rendered thru gpu( dont know wat im saying.. plz dont frown)

hope to get my questions answered..again , even small help will be appreciated..

happy optimising xD

;)

1.hardware acceleration = needed for some games, does nothing to the UI

2.stagefright = media acceleration, needed for (some) videos and (some) games, the http one is broken and should be disabled

3.compcache is swap memory, like the windows swapfile, generally it's not needed, if its used it slows things down (sdcard = slower than phone ram)

4.those settings are related to the memory usage, for example, i used those settings in blue ginger to up the performance a little bit in some apps

5.not needed , Blue ginger and GSF UI is rendered by gpu

Guest l2azor

1.hardware acceleration = needed for some games, does nothing to the UI

2.stagefright = media acceleration, needed for (some) videos and (some) games, the http one is broken and should be disabled

3.compcache is swap memory, like the windows swapfile, generally it's not needed, if its used it slows things down (sdcard = slower than phone ram)

4.those settings are related to the memory usage, for example, i used those settings in blue ginger to up the performance a little bit in some apps

thanks for your reply Psyloid :)

i mean wat could be the other settings that i could change to achive the smoothness and snappiness in gsf or any other rom......i mean launcher pro being the same in both the roms..

does stage fright do anything to the UI?? and if compcache slows down things why is it there even an option..

and about the setting systl config... can u tell us about wat the settings mean?? like oom allocation and vfs pressure cache??

Edited by l2azor

Guest Psyloid

thanks for your reply Psyloid :)

i mean wat could be the other settings that i could change to achive the smoothness and snappiness in gsf or any other rom......i mean launcher pro being the same in both the roms..

does stage fright do anything to the UI?? and if compcache slows down things why is it there even an option..

and about the setting systl config... can u tell us about wat the settings mean?? like oom allocation and vfs pressure cache??

stagefright does nothing to the ui

compcache is usefull if you have not enough ram (e.g. 256Mb, the blade has 512Mb)

*this is all the same like linux (and very very technical):

min free kbytes : This is used to force the Linux VM to keep a minimum number of kilobytes free

dirty background ratio : Contains, as a percentage of total system memory, the number of pages at which the pdflush background writeback daemon will start writing out dirty data

dirty ratio: Contains, as a percentage of total system memory, the number of pages at which a process which is generating disk writes will itself start writing out dirty data.

vfs cache pressure : Controls the tendency of the kernel to reclaim the memory which is used for caching of directory and inode objects

Oom allocating task : This enables or disables killing the OOM-triggering task in out-of-memory situations

as for Gsf and Blue V5 : they are already tweaked to the max, you can do nothing more

Edited by Psyloid

Guest l2azor

stagefright does nothing to the ui

compcache is usefull if you have not enough ram (e.g. 256Mb, the blade has 512Mb)

*this is all the same like linux (and very very technical):

min free kbytes : This is used to force the Linux VM to keep a minimum number of kilobytes free

dirty background ratio : Contains, as a percentage of total system memory, the number of pages at which the pdflush background writeback daemon will start writing out dirty data

dirty ratio: Contains, as a percentage of total system memory, the number of pages at which a process which is generating disk writes will itself start writing out dirty data.

vfs cache pressure : Controls the tendency of the kernel to reclaim the memory which is used for caching of directory and inode objects

Oom allocating task : This enables or disables killing the OOM-triggering task in out-of-memory situations

as for Gsf and Blue V5 : they are already tweaked to the max, you can do nothing more

WOW!! still a long way to go.. :o

but still as long everything is taken care of in best roms to date ie blue v5 and gsf im happy.. ;) thanks

Guest deksman2

Are you certain about that?

I don't think the gpu is rendering the UI in GSF or Blue Ginger V5.

For one thing the scrolling (while relatively smooth), is still not 'buttery smooth'.

I think one would NEED gpu drivers in order to use the gpu for UI rendering.

Furthermore, even if both ROM's use the gpu for UI rendering, how was it done?

I was under the impression ZTE didn't release the original code.

Guest Hurders

I asked a question regarding 3d performance in the GSF thread but didn't get a response so I'll post it here hoping that someone may be able to answer it:

I'm am wondering what makes the 3d performance better in the CM7 roms than the GSF roms? I was using GSF for a while and loved it but found the 3d performance to be noticeably worse than CM7 which is why I moved back to that rom. I use fruit ninja as an example as its very noticeable when you swipe to chop the fruit, in GSF there is a lag/stutter at every swipe, on CM7 its nice a smooth with no slowdowns (this is without overclocking too so should be a fair comparison). You can notice the performance difference between GSF and CM7 on many different other apps too.

I understand that the roms use different kernals but I'm curious as to what gives CM7 that extra boost in 3D performance, and could it be implemented in to GSF?