Grid OS

Guest duvee

Hee guys,

First of all I know we have VegaComb in development, and I know, we should donate all of our money for the excellent work so far for the team. I really am thankfull for VegaComb and have allready showned my love by donating.

But I love customizing and different type of launchers/roms. That's why I was curious if the Grid OS could be ported to the vega.

It's about this OS: http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/16/hands-on-with-fusion-garages-grid-10-tablet-and-grid-4-smartpho/

It's android based, which means it uses the android kernel, and android apps can be installed. Also, it is a really nice tablet UI and therefore I was hoping for a realistic answer.

So, who can tell me more about this OS, and future plans for an android tweaked Grid OS rom?

Many thanks for reading. :)

Duvee

Guest derffie

Hate to say it, but I think after reading the article it maybe device specific, bit like that blackberry guffin, won't take standard market apps without hard work... And no market, so it looks like a dead fork to me.

Guest simonta

haha i think that says it all, newbe5. :D

but.. I think this thing isnt near a short release date. So it will take a while. :(

In reply to your original question, it's definitely possible in theory (exactly the same CPU instruction set - Armv7 and a backwards compatible GPU). However, I wonder how different this really is from Android? It runs Android apps, therefore the Dalvik VM is the same or at least highly compatible and as far as functionality goes, that's 99% of everything you see. Browsing through their website, it looks much more like a skin akin to the Notion Ink Adam or HTC Sense and at the highest level (I mean closest to the user) of the operating system. If I'm right, it won't be long after release that someone here or on XDA Devs strips it out and ports it.

It all depends on your definition of "operating system". To me, the operating system stops where the apps begin but to many, and seemingly to Fusion Garage, it includes the core, bundled applications like the browser, email etc. My guess is that the operating system (which stops at the apps) is Android and they replaced everything on the top, just like Notion Ink.

Could be wrong though ;)

Hmm yeah well, it is a whole other experience then htc Sense i believe.

I like the little animations in it and the simple way of using the home screen. By reading the comments at engadget, I think I'm not the only one interested haha :P

But I do agree that it is nothing completely new for android users.. There are home launchers that are allready doing something different (example: Spark).

In reply to your original question, it's definitely possible in theory (exactly the same CPU instruction set - Armv7 and a backwards compatible GPU). However, I wonder how different this really is from Android? It runs Android apps, therefore the Dalvik VM is the same or at least highly compatible and as far as functionality goes, that's 99% of everything you see. Browsing through their website, it looks much more like a skin akin to the Notion Ink Adam or HTC Sense and at the highest level (I mean closest to the user) of the operating system. If I'm right, it won't be long after release that someone here or on XDA Devs strips it out and ports it.

It all depends on your definition of "operating system". To me, the operating system stops where the apps begin but to many, and seemingly to Fusion Garage, it includes the core, bundled applications like the browser, email etc. My guess is that the operating system (which stops at the apps) is Android and they replaced everything on the top, just like Notion Ink.

Could be wrong though ;)

No, you aren't wrong. According to the Engadget article (see post 1), Grid OS is based on the android kernel. Looking at the Android architecture diagram on theAndriod developer website, I'd say the 'everything else' they did themselves is tweak the 'application framework' and the built in apps.