Vega just displays backlight and nothing else

Guest BSAB

Hi there

Running Vegacomb 3.2 Build 5, and yesterday had a weird problem.

Was using the tablet normally (unplugged from the mains, reading a book in Aldiko) when the screen just went into backlight mode all of a sudden.

Meaning, it stopped displaying anything at all, the only thing you can "see" is that the backlight is on.

Tried turning it off and on again (thank you, I.T. Crowd!) and letting the battery run down, but no luck, still the same problem.

As that happened to anyone here?

(obviously couldn't come at a better time, as I'm leaving tonight for a trip where the Vega would be mighty useful)

Guest PurpleRob

This has happend to me a couple of times, v7, usually on turning the vega on.

The only solution i found was to reflash both the modded stock rom (v2) and Vegacomb.

The last time i managed to do a backup via cwm and only restored that, fingers crossed all seems well.

Rob

Guest ursulavasey

This has happend to me a couple of times, v7, usually on turning the vega on.

The only solution i found was to reflash both the modded stock rom (v2) and Vegacomb.

The last time i managed to do a backup via cwm and only restored that, fingers crossed all seems well.

Rob

I developed the same problem yesterday on build 7 of Vegacomb. I was using the Vega as normal, then I switched it off until a later time. When I turned it on, I got the backlight problem as described by the OP and I couldn't get out of it. I reflashed both the Modded Stock 2, then Vegacomb, observing all the wipes, but nothing fixed it. I repeatedly reflashed, but it didn't work. It seemed to reflash OK but when I rebooted it, it went to the backlit screen again.

I developed the same problem yesterday on build 7 of Vegacomb. I was using the Vega as normal, then I switched it off until a later time. When I turned it on, I got the backlight problem as described by the OP and I couldn't get out of it. I reflashed both the Modded Stock 2, then Vegacomb, observing all the wipes, but nothing fixed it. I repeatedly reflashed, but it didn't work. It seemed to reflash OK but when I rebooted it, it went to the backlit screen again.

Ursula, aren't you the one who discovered the modded stock v1 work around for this problem?

Guest ursulavasey

Ursula, aren't you the one who discovered the modded stock v1 work around for this problem?

I am the one who reported on that workaround, yes. However, this seems to be a new problem. This is happening after the rom is installed and successfully ran for a few days. The one I reported originally was to do with when the VC rom was first installed. I will retest with the Modded Stock Version 1 and see if it solves the problem, but to me they are two distinct issues.

Guest ursulavasey

I am the one who reported on that workaround, yes. However, this seems to be a new problem. This is happening after the rom is installed and successfully ran for a few days. The one I reported originally was to do with when the VC rom was first installed. I will retest with the Modded Stock Version 1 and see if it solves the problem, but to me they are two distinct issues.

I reflashed the Vega using modded stock rom version 1 and build 7 of Vegacomb. It has worked perfectly and my Vega is now running VC build 7. I didn't have chance to check this until tonight, as I am on holiday in Northern Ireland and was in Londonderry all day. So if anyone is having the problem whereby the Vega goes into a black, backlit screen, the solution seems to be to use Modded Stock version 1, then Vegacomb build 7, ensuring you perform the 3 wipes during the rom changes.

Solved by booting into recovery, installing Modded Stock V2 and then Vegacomb on top of it.

This time I'm doing a clockwork backup, though, with everything installed.

Just in case, you know.

Guest ursulavasey

Solved by booting into recovery, installing Modded Stock V2 and then Vegacomb on top of it.

This time I'm doing a clockwork backup, though, with everything installed.

Just in case, you know.

I tried reflashing the same way as you did, using modded stock V2 then Vegacomb, but I got the same error of the backlight and nothing else. I had to reflash with modded stock V1 to get it working. It demonstrates the vagaries of the Vega inasmuch as a solution may not suit every tablet and every circumstance. I'm glad you got it sorted BSAB, but if it fails again, and reflashing with modded stock 2 then Vegacomb doesn't fix it, try modded stock 1 and see if it works, as a fallback position.

Guest don kedik

bear with me on this

bought a vega jan modded it became a member and never messed with it again in that way.

sold it to someone in Slough Berkshire and they have reported this problem as I can't remember anything about flashing or what to do and not having the vega infront of me can someone post a step by step guide as I don't think she's that techie and I can direct her here.

or does anybody live near Slough so if still no luck, she can arrange for a hand on professional to sort it.

Guest simonta

bear with me on this

bought a vega jan modded it became a member and never messed with it again in that way.

sold it to someone in Slough Berkshire and they have reported this problem as I can't remember anything about flashing or what to do and not having the vega infront of me can someone post a step by step guide as I don't think she's that techie and I can direct her here.

or does anybody live near Slough so if still no luck, she can arrange for a hand on professional to sort it.

Just get her to post here. Plenty of capable people to sort it out.

Cheers

Guest Jeshall

Just get her to post here. Plenty of capable people to sort it out.

Cheers

hello! so im posting on here....as you said!!!!!

so, i bought this advent vega a few days ago...when i got it it was working fine for 20 mins.... logged into facebook, downloaded angry birds....thats it really! as i explored for 20 mins i could see the battery getting low so put it on charge and left it for a couple of hours while we went shopping, came back....and nothing! just the backlight when i turn it on..... have read through the forums for many hours and tried downloading files from advent then plugging it in the mains and pc, pressing all the instructed buttons- back, power etc....still no change! so im on here looking for some instructions, advice, help!!! thanks so much for your time.......

hello! so im posting on here....as you said!!!!!

so, i bought this advent vega a few days ago...when i got it it was working fine for 20 mins.... logged into facebook, downloaded angry birds....thats it really! as i explored for 20 mins i could see the battery getting low so put it on charge and left it for a couple of hours while we went shopping, came back....and nothing! just the backlight when i turn it on..... have read through the forums for many hours and tried myadventvegadownloading files from advent then plugging it in the mains and pc, pressing all the instructed buttons- back, power etc....still no change! so im on here looking for some instructions, advice, help!!! thanks so much for your time.......

I would recommend that you first restore the Vega to its original condition by following the instructions in the download section of the myadventvega website. Once you've done that, you'll know whether your Vega hardware is working. Once you're assured of that, you'll probably want to install the custom ROM that your Vega arrived with. If you post back with the name of the ROM, someone will point you to instructions to get it going.

Edited by lesd

Guest Jeshall

I would recommend that you first restore the Vega to its original condition by following the instructions in the download section of the myadventvega website. Once you've done that, you'll know whether your Vega hardware is working. Once you're assured of that, you'll probably want to install the custom ROM that your Vega arrived with. If you post back with the name of the ROM, someone will point you to instructions to get it going.

thank you so much for your help- i tried following the instructions in the download section....and no joy :0( doesnt have any effect unfortunately....so now what shall i do...?

good evening

thank you so much for your help- i tried following the instructions in the download section....and no joy :0( doesnt have any effect unfortunately....so now what shall i do...?

good evening

Hmm...

I take it that when you ran the software update image exe file on your PC, it reported that it had successfully sent the update to your Vega. If so, get your hands on the receipt and take it back to Currys/PC World; It's under a year old. Make sure it's fully chaged, and the tech guys may be able to sort it there and then.

If not, then make sure the Vega is fully charged (blue light by the back button stops flashing and remains ON), and try again. If it still doesn't work, report what the PC tells you here. There are a couple more indicators which help work out what's wrong:

If you've pressed the buttons in the correct sequence, the PC should make a sound to indicate you've connected something to USB. If that doesn't happen then your USB driver is not installed, or your USB cable is faulty.

Once the software update program is running, the Vega screen should report that it is in NV Flash mode.

Once again, if you report back here, someone will try to help.

Edited by lesd

Guest Jeshall

Hmm...

I take it that when you ran the software update image exe file on your PC, it reported that it had successfully sent the update to your Vega. If so, get your hands on the receipt and take it back to Currys/PC World; It's under a year old. Make sure it's fully chaged, and the tech guys may be able to sort it there and then.

If not, then make sure the Vega is fully charged (blue light by the back button stops flashing and remains ON), and try again. If it still doesn't work, report what the PC tells you here. There are a couple more indicators which help work out what's wrong:

If you've pressed the buttons in the correct sequence, the PC should make a sound to indicate you've connected something to USB. If that doesn't happen then your USB driver is not installed, or your USB cable is faulty.

Once the software update program is running, the Vega screen should report that it is in NV Flash mode.

Once again, if you report back here, someone will try to help.

thanks again....ok, let me tell you what we have tried so far!

we have downloaded the system usb file and the software image 1.10 vega final onto the PC. then we pressed the buttons accordingly as stated in the instructions but it never prompted us to install the files. Only twice out of thirty times trying the sequences it recognised a usb device was plugged in- stating USB device not recognised...still didnt ask to install the drivers though.

There are no sounds when we plug the USB cable in, but sometimes when we take it out.

what do you think.....?!

thanks again!

thanks again....ok, let me tell you what we have tried so far!

we have downloaded the system usb file and the software image 1.10 vega final onto the PC. then we pressed the buttons accordingly as stated in the instructions but it never prompted us to install the files. Only twice out of thirty times trying the sequences it recognised a usb device was plugged in- stating USB device not recognised...still didnt ask to install the drivers though.

There are no sounds when we plug the USB cable in, but sometimes when we take it out.

what do you think.....?!

thanks again!

I think your USB cable may be broken. However, since there's nowhere open to buy a new one, it might be worth trying some different instructions that tell you how to load the USB driver if the PC does not prompt you. Instructions are here.

Make sure you vega is fully charged before you start.

EDIT

BTW many people have reported problems getting the button sequence right. Hre's what I do:

1 Conect the Vega to the power supply and to the PC.

2 switch the Vega ON by pressing the power button until the scren backlight comes ON.

3 wait a few seconds, then switch the Vega OFF by pressing the power button until the backlight goes OFF. Turning the Vega on and off like this ensures the Vega is properly OFF before trying to get into NV recovery mode.

4 press and hold the Back button

5 while the Back button is held down, wait two seconds then press and hold the power buttonuntil the PC indicates that a connection has been made. If the Vega screen backlight comes on, return to step 2.

Edited by lesd

Guest Jeshall

I think your USB cable may be broken. However, since there's nowhere open to buy a new one, it might be worth trying some different instructions that tell you how to load the USB driver if the PC does not prompt you. Instructions are here.

Make sure you vega is fully charged before you start.

EDIT

BTW many people have reported problems getting the button sequence right. Hre's what I do:

1 Conect the Vega to the power supply and to the PC.

2 switch the Vega ON by pressing the power button until the scren backlight comes ON.

3 wait a few seconds, then switch the Vega OFF by pressing the power button until the backlight goes OFF. Turning the Vega on and off like this ensures the Vega is properly OFF before trying to get into NV recovery mode.

4 press and hold the Back button

5 while the Back button is held down, wait two seconds then press and hold the power buttonuntil the PC indicates that a connection has been made. If the Vega screen backlight comes on, return to step 2.

weve done it!!! whooohooo!!!!! thank you, thank you, i dont think that it liked our laptop....prefers the PC!!!! dinged and downloaded at last! now to add the rom, it had modaco rom installed....how do i do this?

thank you Lesd!

Guest richardmlea

A few things to check.

When you plug in the power is the blue charge light coming on? If your charger connector is damaged (easily done because of where it plugs in at the corner) and the battery is dead no amount of connecting will help as the vega can't get a charge from the usb. It may have enough charge to turn on for a few seconds but will then turn off. If the blue light is coming on its not that)

Install Vega tools (soooo usefull, every vega owner should have this installed on your PC)

edels-v40/ respect to solidare for making such a brilliant tool.

Vega tools will help you install the correct drivers and tell you that the Vega is in the correct mode for flashing. It will also help you install stock and custom roms and tweek other aspects of your Vega like the boot screen.

Make sure the cable between your PC and Vega is not damaged and is usb2. The one that comes with the Vega says "80°c 30v vw-1 USB SHEILDED HIGH SPEED CABLE 2.0" printed along the length of the wire. Yours should have something like this printed on the wire. If f it says USB 1.0 its wrong.

Hope this helps, good luck.

edit , little slow with my answer. Glad its sorted. Download vega tools as you will find it helpful installing custom roms.

Can I also suggest you try some other custom roms as you may find another rom more useful to you. I can recommend corvus5 sp1 as a stable smooth and quick rom and vegacomb is great and getting better. Only take about ten minutes to install a custom rom so its worth trying a few. You can't brick it by trying out roms so give them all a try, see what you like.

Edited by richardmlea

Guest phil8715

weve done it!!! whooohooo!!!!! thank you, thank you, i dont think that it liked our laptop....prefers the PC!!!! dinged and downloaded at last! now to add the rom, it had modaco rom installed....how do i do this?

thank you Lesd!

The Vega doesn't really like W7. You can install a piece software called Audi which is an automated driver installation, you just follow the instructions and it does the rest.

When I had my Vega I don't know how many times I flashed my Vega back to stock using Audi.

Glad you're getting on with the Vega.

Guest richardmlea

The Vega doesn't really like W7. You can install a piece software called Audi which is an automated driver installation, you just follow the instructions and it does the rest.

When I had my Vega I don't know how many times I flashed my Vega back to stock using Audi

Glad you're getting on with the Vega.

Audi is also included in Vega tools 4.0,

thank you Lesd!

A lot of people recommend using Vega Tools 4 for the modaco ROM.