Youtube 1080p videos on O2X

Guest Ximo F. Verde

Guest Ximo F. Verde

Hi all

Ive read a few reviews that claim that the O2X is able to reproduce full HD youtube videos (w/ flash that is). I would also think that its possible too, since the tegra2 offers HW accelaration on flash and the h.264 profile used on youtube HD can be decoded by the GPU. But when i try it out using stock browser as well as Opera/Dolphin, anything above 480p is choppy as hell. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanx

Same here, can only play up to 480p in Flash.

In short, nVidia lied. I've read it has something to do with Tegra 2 not supporting the NEON instruction set.

Guest Ximo F. Verde

Same here, can only play up to 480p in Flash.

In short, nVidia lied. I've read it has something to do with Tegra 2 not supporting the NEON instruction set.

No, its got nothing to do with the NEON set i believe. If this was the case the Xoom wouldnt be able to do youtube HD w/flash either. And as far as i know it can.

Guest Ximo F. Verde

I will have a good look at that when I have more time, but a quick skim leaves me with the impression this is specific to Honeycomb 3.1 and 3.2.

Ive tried to look or more information on this, but i came up with nothing.. To be honest, the phone doesnt seems to H/W accelerate flash video nor animations etc at all, but rather perform 'better' than others due to the dual cortex 1GHz A9. GPU H/W acc. would def have a more pronounced effect. A good example is Paris' interactive metro map page ( http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/ quite heavy page) where the O2X performs almost identically as my ex Acer Liquid E (quite bad that is) which was much worse in specs. The O2X can handle only up to 480p flash video on Youtube, which again could be easily reproduced by the Liquid (underclocked 1st gen Snapdraggon, 512MB RAM). Im obviously not an expert, but i believe this has got to do with the fact that we r still on FroYo and also because not NVidia nor LG have worked closely enough to actually properly implement GPU accelarated flash on the O2X. If an expert could enlighten us with some xtra knowledge/info would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Ferrum Master

Ive tried to look or more information on this, but i came up with nothing.. To be honest, the phone doesnt seems to H/W accelerate flash video nor animations etc at all, but rather perform 'better' than others due to the dual cortex 1GHz A9. GPU H/W acc. would def have a more pronounced effect. A good example is Paris' interactive metro map page ( http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/ quite heavy page) where the O2X performs almost identically as my ex Acer Liquid E (quite bad that is) which was much worse in specs. The O2X can handle only up to 480p flash video on Youtube, which again could be easily reproduced by the Liquid (underclocked 1st gen Snapdraggon, 512MB RAM). Im obviously not an expert, but i believe this has got to do with the fact that we r still on FroYo and also because not NVidia nor LG have worked closely enough to actually properly implement GPU accelarated flash on the O2X. If an expert could enlighten us with some xtra knowledge/info would be greatly appreciated.

GPU accelerated? What you expect? It has no Cuda, no OpenCL, it supports OpenGL ES and shaders are with programming limits.

The most important part is the Encoder, how well is the ASM code written for that sucker in tegra... Honeycomb uses different kernel and nvidia NVOS set... I suspect it is more efficiently made than the current one.

There are funny facts also in nvidias kitchen - http://nv-tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p=linux-2.6.git;a=summary

I guess we have to wait for the first one to port Ice cream to confirm - if truly there are Tegra optimizations for >=3.0 and they actually work.

I wonder, does it also work for us...

http://www.xda-devel...us-transformer/

My old X10 is capable of 720p flash... feels kind of sarcastic, an 2 years old hardware outdo an clumsy dual core.

Doesn't seem to change anything here, though i am already capable of decoding 720p flash though, but the stage fps of the test video was still hanging at 10 FPS.

Edit: Just realized that i might've followed the instructions wrongly, will try again.

Edit 2: Well actually it was as it was supposed to be, but i also tried rebooting the device and it still didn't change, so this "fix" does nothing for us it would appear.

Edit 3: Also checked my transformer and tried the fix there, still 10 stage FPS on the test video, 720p seems to work just as well, and 1080p seem to stutter just as well, will see if there's anything else to it though.

Edit 4: Seems like it was video FPS i should be looking at, but looked at stage fps since the post talked about running at 9-10FPS, however i believe both of them were running around 24-30 FPS, especially when i can do 720p without issue.

Edited by thla