Definitive Answers about Ginger Stir Fry Proximity Issue

Guest Sere83

Guest Sere83

Hi,

I'm using Ginger Stir Fry B20 and still have the proximity sensor issue, very irritating and often leads me to leave massive blank voice mail messages, because I can't put the phone down (screen/buttons won't respond) when some one does not answer, and eventually I have to pull the battery out the phone and restart.

I thought i'd post a seperate thread as trawling through 200 + pages to find definitive answers is proving difficult. So what I would like to ask is...

1) Will this issue be rectified in future GSF updates?

2) Can the ZTE Emode helper tool actually do anything to fix this. If so what should I do with it? And where should I do it? (Eg. outdoors/indoors/direct sunlight etc)

3) Is there any other work arounds for this issue that I can implement in the mean time? Eg. Turn off proximity sensor, re map buttons etc.

Any help much appreciated.

Edited by Sere83

Guest TheManicGibbon

3) Is there any other work arounds for this issue that I can implement in the mean time? Eg. Turn off proximity sensor, re map buttons etc.

Putting your hand over the light/proximity sensor when outdoors can be enough to turn the screen back on. Also try checking the "Power Button ends call" checkbox in Accessibility settings which might be a useful workaround.

Hope this helps.

Guest t0mm13b

Putting your hand over the light/proximity sensor when outdoors can be enough to turn the screen back on. Also try checking the "Power Button ends call" checkbox in Accessibility settings which might be a useful workaround.

Hope this helps.

Get a non-sticky tape (not the kind that leaves sticky residue) and cover the proximity sensor and if you want to make it permanent... get a sticky tape - black kind - like insulating tape.. perhaps?

Guest Nick Rhodes

1) There is a good chance ZTE will release a newer ROM with this issue fixed. There is also a good chance ZTE releases the source and someone here is smart enough to debug and fix.

2) In my case it made no difference.

3) There are useful work arounds as mentioned, but I still found it too frustrating for daily use.

4) There is no definitive answer ;)

Cheers, Nick

Guest Sami Beck

Hi,

I'm using Ginger Stir Fry B20 and still have the proximity sensor issue, very irritating and often leads me to leave massive blank voice mail messages, because I can't put the phone down (screen/buttons won't respond) when some one does not answer, and eventually I have to pull the battery out the phone and restart.

I thought i'd post a seperate thread as trawling through 200 + pages to find definitive answers is proving difficult. So what I would like to ask is...

2) Can the ZTE Emode helper tool actually do anything to fix this. If so what should I do with it? And where should I do it? (Eg. outdoors/indoors/direct sunlight etc)

I fixed this issue in my rom (CAE)

Guest Sere83

Thanks a lot guys, will try some of the suggestions.

@ Sammi Beck. Rom looks interesting, my san francisco is an upgraded Gen2 OLED though, seems that people are having a few issues with these from what I've read on the thread.

Guest Pierreism

I only get this once in a blue moon, but when it happens all I do is hold it up to my ear again, then take it back off and hey presto! It always restores. I think the sensor just gets overwhelmed by sudden flashes and doesn't register properly.

Guest unrandomsam

Hi,

Just calibrate it using the zte dialer (secret code) and then switch back to the AOSP one.

Just calibrate it using the zte dialer (secret code) and then switch back to the AOSP one.

My understanding is that the Emode helper tool that wbaw has included with GSF does exactly the same thing as entering codes from the ZTE dialler. However, calibrating the sensor doesn't help in my case - I still get the proximity bug, but only in direct sunshine.

Guest unrandomsam

My understanding is that the Emode helper tool that wbaw has included with GSF does exactly the same thing as entering codes from the ZTE dialler. However, calibrating the sensor doesn't help in my case - I still get the proximity bug, but only in direct sunshine.

I never have that bug (Just calibrating is all I need).

I use the zte dialer though (Like to be able to record calls its extremely useful when companies decide to go back on their word).

I never have that bug (Just calibrating is all I need).

It seems, from the anecdotal evidence, that this is something that differs from phone to phone - perhaps the sensor hardware varies enough in manufacture to cause a problem with some devices and not others... and this may indicate that a software fix isn't enough, even with full availability of the source code. A majority of people don't get the problem at all, some have it but it gets fixed by sensor calibration (via the ZTE dialler code or wbaw's helper app), and a minority (including me) still see the bug in direct sunlight even after calibration. It is annoying but not a big problem - there are workarounds.

As I said, I suspect the bug may be dependent on variations in the sensor hardware, rather than the ROM, but I haven't had the time to check whether the ROMs that claim to have fixed the proximity bug work bug-free on my phone in full sunlight. If someone who definitely still has the bug on their phone after calibration has had a chance to check that it doesn't show up on a different ROM that would be interesting to know.

Guest Nick Rhodes

It seems, from the anecdotal evidence, that this is something that differs from phone to phone - perhaps the sensor hardware varies enough in manufacture to cause a problem with some devices and not others... and this may indicate that a software fix isn't enough, even with full availability of the source code. A majority of people don't get the problem at all, some have it but it gets fixed by sensor calibration (via the ZTE dialler code or wbaw's helper app), and a minority (including me) still see the bug in direct sunlight even after calibration. It is annoying but not a big problem - there are workarounds.

As I said, I suspect the bug may be dependent on variations in the sensor hardware, rather than the ROM, but I haven't had the time to check whether the ROMs that claim to have fixed the proximity bug work bug-free on my phone in full sunlight. If someone who definitely still has the bug on their phone after calibration has had a chance to check that it doesn't show up on a different ROM that would be interesting to know.

I get the proximity in bright sunlight (even when sat inside in my office) issue with the GSF ROM. I tried a number of times recalibrating, even in bright sunlight and still get the issue.

I do not get it with any (from memory) 2.1, 2.2, CM7 ROMs (I am currently running CM7 and was working fine today (and what was reminded me to reply to this).

It may well be driver bugs that only turn up with certain variants of hardware, but its not hardware or else it would occur with any ROM,

Cheers, Nick

Edited by Nick Rhodes