Buyers guide - read this before you order an AndyPad (and ask me questions!)

Guest PaulOBrien

Since I have had a lot more exposure to the AndyPads than most, I thought i'd post this topic in advance of the pre-orders going live tomorrow (i'll update it as units start shipping etc.). If you have any questions post them below and i'll add them.

The 2 versions

There are 2 versions of the AndyPad available - the AndyPad (which i'll call the 'Standard') and the AndyPad Pro. The Standard version comes in at £129 and features 8GB of internal storage, the Pro version comes in at £179 and features 16GB of internal storage as well as adding a rear camera, a capacitive 1024x600 screen and Bluetooth.

Internally, the devices have very similar specifications. They both run the RK2918 (Rockchip) chipset, share a lot of their components and their software builds are based on the same release - they look very similar in use. The AndyPad Standard is a bespoke design, the AndyPad Pro is actually a recoloured and rebadged Tecsel T760 tablet.

Are the Pro features worth the £50?

That's the question isn't it. Camera - not really for most people. Bluetooth - not really for most people. 16GB of storage - arguably not really for most people as we have microSD on board. Capacitive 1024x600 screen? Absolutely! The screen on the Pro is much, much (*100) better than that of the Standard. Higher res, brighter, multitouch... the screen is absolutely the 'Standard' AndyPad's weak point and it's fixed with the Pro. If the Standard was packing the Pro's screen i'd say buy the Standard and don't worry about the other upgrades, but for me it's a must have.

Should I pre-order or wait?

We know pretty much what the hardware is like on the AndyPads, but we don't know what the software is like... and this can make or break a device! Chances are the AndyPad (especially the Pro, as Teclast 760 ROMs are already appearing) is going to get hacked around a bit by developers, but if you want your device to work great out of the box, then only time will tell if new-to-the-game AndyPad pull it off. Distance selling regulations state that if you pre-order and it's rubbish, you can return it within 7 days of course. Another question is whether the initial shipment will sell thru and you'll be left waiting...

So what's the software like?

I've only had a look at a very very early version, so I won't judge it too much based on that. It's a stock-ish Gingerbread (2.3.1 when is saw it), with custom colours and icons.

Is the AndyPad going to get Honeycomb / Ice Cream Sandwich?

As the status of the Honeycomb source is still closed and the ICS hardware requirements are as yet unknown, it is unwise to assume either of these will be officially released.

So, which one should I buy?

You pays your money you takes your choice. If you care at all about viewing angles, brightness and touch quality of the screen, the Pro is a definite choice over the Standard unless cost is really really really an issue above everything else.

I'm going to get the Pro version, just to have a faff about with it.

I was expecting the pre-order page to be open now, but the site is just the same as it has been but the countdown timer at 00 days.

Not recieved an e-mail confirming my registration.

I guess they are just very very busy getting things ready at the moment!

I'll keep my eyes peeled and update things on here when the site 'opens'. :)

Guest phil8715

I was expecting the pre-order page to be open now, but the site is just the same as it has been but the countdown timer at 00 days.

I'll keep my eyes peeled and update things on here when the site 'opens'. :)

Is the AndyPad Pro better or worse than the Advent Vega?

Guest Sami Beck

Is the AndyPad Pro better or worse than the Advent Vega?

Well Vega has Honeycomb and a Tegra 2 but the screen is shi........... pardon my french

AndyPad has promise if the Pro screen is much better. But spec wise its probably not quite as good but still packs a punch!

Guest phil8715

Well Vega has Honeycomb and a Tegra 2 but the screen is shi........... pardon my french

AndyPad has promise if the Pro screen is much better. But spec wise its probably not quite as good but still packs a punch!

Will it run flash player 10.3?

Guest StuMcBill

I'll keep my eyes peeled and update things on here when the site 'opens'.

It seems to be open now!

Guest echolock

Exciting that the pre-order page is up now, but it doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know.

I'm going to wait for full reviews of both units before deciding which, if any, to buy. I'd love for the AndyPad (basic) to be good, as £130 is easier to justify to myself than £180 - you can get a Hanspree Hanspad (which I'm told is OK) for £150ish, and an Advent Vega (which they've hacked Honeycomb onto) for £200 so it's less of a no-brainer for me at that price point.

Fingers crossed the AndyPad (basic)'s screen is responsive enough - I really don't care too much about viewing angles as I'll be the only one viewing most of the time ;-)

Guest The Soup Thief

I've a stupid question

I see from the Andypad website that both the basic and the pro have cameras I see (standard having only front facing - I assume front is the one facing the user, while the pro seems to have front and rear cameras).

Am I right in thinking the basic has a microphone? I've assumed that anything with a camera will have a mic too, for skype type purposes, but haven't seen this mentioned anywhere

Just thinking that the basic might be a neat skype, email and web browsing solution for a certain elderly relly of mine who's about as likely to need to go near games as I am to go near a stair lift (he has a wifi connection though is sufficiently discombobulated by his laptop that he only uses it when he really has to!)

Guest The Soup Thief

Is it worth buying the Andypad pro as it seems to be really a Teclast T760 which can be bought direct from China including postage for £20 cheaper?

(shh... don't wanna say this too loud, but I'm not sure it is such a great deal. It will live or die by its dev support and the resultant interest...)

(the Lenovo IdeaPad A1 looks a good bet too - $199, only a single core processor but capacitive screen etc)

It's kind of annoying to be honest that no one on the forum is picking up any of the current crop of Chinese hardware. There are literally hundreds of tablets all different sizes and screen resolutions all running either the exact same very capable rockchip solution as the andypad, an AMLogix A9 chipset or the Renesas Dual core A9 Chipest and even a few OMAP models on android 2.2 or 2.3.

Devs really need to start looking in to them as some of this hardware is very solid and even the initial android builds aren't bad at all either but could obviously really flourish with custome roms. And best of all they are cheap. Just to name a few....

Ainol Nova 8

Onda Vi30

Ployer Momo8

Window N50

Teclast T760

Wits A91

Renesas A9

S.m.a.r.t.Q G7

All have differing pros and cons but definitely worth a look. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of crap out there too, but also some solid hardware too. The Lenovo does look very nice but it will almost certainly not be that cheap when it drops in the UK.

Edited by Sere83

Guest unrandomsam

£125 and it has a capacitive screen http://bit.ly/riLUzh

And the Lenovo has a standalone GPS.

There is also the 2 archos G9 (80 and 101) models at £200 and £250 respectively (RRP) (with GPS dual core omap A9 with NEON) and Honeycomb 3.2 (And standalone GPS). (Can probably get a HP Touchpad also for £200 if you have nothing against giving someone £100 profit for doing nothing.)

This Andypad is too late (If it was released when it was first announced maybe it would do better).

won't get market share unless the pro model is dropped to £129 at least.

Guest The Soup Thief

This Andypad is too late (If it was released when it was first announced maybe it would do better).

won't get market share unless the pro model is dropped to £129 at least.

Seems so I fear

I just had a Google of those tablets on Sere83's list - some very interesting (and, tbh quite similar looking) devices

It all is looking like a bit of a minefield - all this choice is just confusing me! I'm gonna keep my powder dry and wait for a front runner to emerge

Hope it happens soon tho! I want me some tablety action!

I believe that "is" the Andypad ... just cheaper even including postage from China

Yes you are right. It's chassis has seen a slight redesign but they are the same. The regular andypad is the Teclast P71 with again a slight chassis redesign.

I agree some what that that the Andy Pad's arrival may be a little late. Dual core tab pricing is dropping rapidly, mind you Lenovo and others still feel there is a market for single core A8 and A9 variants, and while not as powerful as their dual core counterparts they are still useful.

Reminds me a bit of how things have changed since the first gen Atom N270 powered netbooks, netbooks nowadays are so much more powerful. I'm sure in a years time a single core cortex A8 will be a relic.

I think the main thing though is software really, any device seeing a decent well optimized honeycomb port automatically becomes more appealing. Suppose we will have to see what ICS brings though in terms of merging the OS's.

The China market is an absolute mine field for those lacking knowledge, so it is hardly surprising that we are not seeing so many devs picking up the hardware on Modaco. Nevertheless there is some decent stuff out there as mentioned before. Andy Pad actually chose very well with the Teclast T760 it is definitely one of the front runners in the China market at the minute, all things considered.

Personally I'm thinking I may sit tight for the moment when it comes to purchasing a tablet. After using MIUI on a Galaxy S on the weekend, I am saving all my money for the Xiaomi MIUI phone, best android build in the world right now if you ask me, can't look at 2.3 on my ZTE blade any more with out thinking how crap it looks and functions compared to MIUI.

Edited by Sere83