state of development

Guest fards

Hi one and all,

I've ordered a Hannspad today (should be here tomorrow)!

this is my first tegra2 and quite looking forward to some hacking and deving at it, but if someone wouldn't mind I'd quite a heads up/ round up on whats happening development wise so far.

I noticed there was quite a bit going on at slatedroid but haven't had a chance to read much there yet (plus I prefer modaco). Anywhere else to read up? XDa seems to be imploding again.

I've been around cooking and hacking for years, (helping others mostly with their efforts) but only got my first android device last year, and have just released a 2.3.3 rom for the dell streak (beating dell by forever :D )

So I'm quite keen to have a play, but don't really want to rehash old ground if I can help it.

I see theres a CWM for it and obviously root.

but how open is the bootloader? what are the partitions like ? does fastboot support boot option et al? is it possible to flash custom images directly through fastboot ?

sorry I can answer all these myself tomorrow I guess, just a bit too much like a kid waiting for christmas :D

I understand that kernel source hasn't been released yet, (same old same old), but I presume we have a breakdown of componentry and there are enough similar devices to base a kernel on?

has anyone approached Malata to see if they will release source for their version?

has anyone dismantled one yet? was wondering about hardware hacking it if possible, internal sdcard is the obvious upgrade if it will support a class10 or a usb 3g dongle?

Edited by fards

Guest will8578

Got mine today but not a dev so cant really help sorry, but well done with the streak and good to have you as a owner of a hannspad, good luck

Guest roy8846

Welcome and Congrats on a Good buy imo.

There are a couple of devs at slatedroid that could answer your questions.

So far we have a 2.2 rom, cyanogen and a port of flashback 7.2 from the gtab.

I hope some devs can get together and make some sweet stuff.

Paul is in talks with hannspree re source so fingers crossed

iv managed to get it on there, really good, how u getting on, u like ur new tab?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

yup its not bad at all,

I can't get the Gtab version booting though, I may have a play later with it to see why

I am a bit bemused by the zips install scripts.

it flashes a boot.img then dumps the boot image then makes a new boot image with the kernel.

why not just make it before creating the zip ? it would save a load of time.. very odd.

Guest will8578

yeah sorry i realised u'd already answered above, well good luck with it all, im addicted to android but completey throws me when it comes to devs and stuff, so massive respect to everyone that can

Guest MagcianHumphrey

Hi fards, I'm getting one of these soon and am VERY keen to see your ROM hacking progress/results. Ideally I would like to see the latest version of 3.# Android Honeycomb working with the hardware acceleration enabled, I think that's probably what everyone wants?!

The latest Android Honeycomb update has included lots of little tweaks specially geared towards slightly smaller screen res tablets like this one, with the new zooming features etc...

Please let me know how you get on, I've only installed and fiddled with loads of cooked roms from XDA Dev, like for WM5 6.1 6.5 but got hardly any experience of Android but I want to learn! lol

Hi fards, I'm getting one of these soon and am VERY keen to see your ROM hacking progress/results. Ideally I would like to see the latest version of 3.# Android Honeycomb working with the hardware acceleration enabled, I think that's probably what everyone wants?!

The latest Android Honeycomb update has included lots of little tweaks specially geared towards slightly smaller screen res tablets like this one, with the new zooming features etc...

Please let me know how you get on, I've only installed and fiddled with loads of cooked roms from XDA Dev, like for WM5 6.1 6.5 but got hardly any experience of Android but I want to learn! lol

I'm going to have a sit down and look at the hw accel soon, I need to read up on it first, I understand its an issue for all custom roms kernels though as there's no source from nvidia yet to support it so doubt it will be easy!

getting the latest 3x isn't too much of an issue.. I'm already using a pretty solid build (the gtacomb3.3 with a custom kernel) that I've been ripping apart and tweaking (don't like data2loop hacks)

ab73 has posted his current kernel to github, hopefully the more people that get involved the better. it does appear to work pretty well :D

https://github.com/ab73-hp-tab/ab73kernel-Hannspad-2632

flash is the only real downer, and I think thats more to do with the lack of 2d hw accel, certainly everything else screams along

You can see the insides of the hannspad from http://www.wirelessg...m/tag/hannspad/

Its got reasonable pics if you can make out the electronics on it.

yeah I've been looking at those, but where is the inner sdcard in those pics? the external one is pretty obvious.

was thinking about getting a class 10 16gb to put as internal, but no point if cant work out where it goes :D

yeah I've been looking at those, but where is the inner sdcard in those pics? the external one is pretty obvious.

was thinking about getting a class 10 16gb to put as internal, but no point if cant work out where it goes :D

I did a bit of digging and found that the HANNSPad is a brother/sister of the Malata A1011 and other tablets listed on http://www.androidpads.com/2010/09/27/the-malata-a1011-android-tablet-aka-flatpad-a10t-luvpad-ad100-e-noa-interpad-hanspree-snappiness-for-around-400/

On the spec for the Malata A1011, it show that the internal storage being used is not a standard SD card, but a iNAND 16GB chip.

Is is most likely to be the same on the HANNSPad.

After a bit of googlizing, it seems that these chips are soldered to the board.

I don't know much about electronics, but this might be a mission to do, or, i'm completely wrong :D

Guest MagcianHumphrey

Thanks for feedback, I am following attentively! Just a thought but doesn't it seem a little like they made this thing then thought 'argh can't really be bothered to tweak it up!' and just threw it out on sale at £150 a piece!!??

Thanks for feedback, I am following attentively! Just a thought but doesn't it seem a little like they made this thing then thought 'argh can't really be bothered to tweak it up!' and just threw it out on sale at £150 a piece!!??

dont forget its RRP is a lot higher than that...

The reason its so cheap now is that the early reviews all slated it (pun intended) for the bad touchscreen... so it wasn't selling, ergo it started to be sold very cheap..

Guest MagcianHumphrey

Yeah that's a point about the price coming down, is the touch screen that bad? I heard it was good on some versions of the product (1953 off the top of my head) and bad on others . That's a Cool site! Thanks. - The Asus Transformer is using the same chip and running Android 3.2 (slightly bigger screen Res) but would it be possible to port across the Rom in some way and the add the extra bits for the buttons etc? I really have no idea how this is done, but I've heard of people doing it on phone Roms so it must be possible, and they obviously have the hardware acceleration working on the Asus with 3.2 on the Tegra II...

Yeah that's a point about the price coming down, is the touch screen that bad? I heard it was good on some versions of the product (1953 off the top of my head) and bad on others . That's a Cool site! Thanks. - The Asus Transformer is using the same chip and running Android 3.2 (slightly bigger screen Res) but would it be possible to port across the Rom in some way and the add the extra bits for the buttons etc? I really have no idea how this is done, but I've heard of people doing it on phone Roms so it must be possible, and they obviously have the hardware acceleration working on the Asus with 3.2 on the Tegra II...

there's builds based on it, the problem is the kernel... we need a working .36 (or later) kernel, which isn't as easy as it sounds to get HW acceleration going.. so we have compromised builds (such as that I posted) which although give you the Honeycomb experience, don't give you the full blown HC experience...

the '53 is a fantastic device, no issues with screen or touch imo and very underrated, which is cool by me :D