Replacement Glass

Guest Madr

Hi all,

Like many others- I managed to drop my Vega and the glass has cracked and looks like a spiders web....

Heres the thing - I've spent ages surfing these forums (fantastic how much info is shared by the Vega community) and there are several topics on broken screens etc. But none that I can see or understand enough to be just about replacing the front glass....

My Vega continues to work perfectly - The spider web effect where the glass is cracked is purely cosmetic damage, but as you can imagine insanely annoying.....

So, can anyone point me in the right direction as to a replacement Glass only that will fit the Vega. PCWorld/Currys aren't helpful as already discussed in other threads.

I would be forever in your debt!

Regards,

Matt

Guest everett_psycho

I've got the same problem, i know currys basically said buy a new one its cheaper than fixing it professionally. I've looked around a bit and get the impression that even with a diy job a new tablet is the way to go, sounds as if the glass is attached to other components so its not an easy swap like you'd think. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will confirm this or tell me I'm wrong soon though. Was yours like mine and a direct result of their overpriced badly design folio case not actually holding the vega in place?

Edited by everett_psycho

I've got the same problem, i know currys basically said buy a new one its cheaper than fixing it professionally. I've looked around a bit and get the impression that even with a diy job a new tablet is the way to go, sounds as if the glass is attached to other components so its not an easy swap like you'd think. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will confirm this or tell me I'm wrong soon though. Was yours like mine and a direct result of their overpriced badly design folio case not actually holding the vega in place?

Sadly no, having had the Vega fall out of the Folio case several times without any damage thankfully -I bought one discussed here from ebay - lovely case and keeps the vega completely within it. It cracked when I was stood outside reading a book on kindle and it toppled out of my hand and landed face first on the patio..... Smoking really is bad for your Vega as I didn't have a hand free to catch it...

Guest IanTurner

The touch panel and glass are a single unit (note the LCD screen itself is not touch sensitive and not pertinent to this case) and previous investigations indicated they were only available to manufacturers so not possible to buy them individually.

Guest everett_psycho

Sadly no, having had the Vega fall out of the Folio case several times without any damage thankfully -I bought one discussed here from ebay - lovely case and keeps the vega completely within it. It cracked when I was stood outside reading a book on kindle and it toppled out of my hand and landed face first on the patio..... Smoking really is bad for your Vega as I didn't have a hand free to catch it...

Mine fell out the case when walking to the car, face down on the cobbles smashed it. No contents insurance sorted here yet so no chance i can claim, I'm just glad i got a £200 vega and not a £400+ transformer. Now I've dabbled in cheap tablets and used it loads i may have to replace it with a more quality one an make sure i get a goof case to stop a repeat screen meeting cobbles incident

Guest warriorscot

So far I can only think of one bloke who had to replace one of the screen components. He did however post his experience with pictures on the forum. Sourcing new front panels singly isn't possible from a manufacturer but you sometimes find people willing to sell parts from broken units however screens as the most breakable are the hardest to find that way. If you can get one it is more than possible maybe worth emailing dsg directly see if they can sell you or just give you the front panel of a returned unit that can't be reconditioned or on its way for reconditioning.

A different tablet isn't the worst idee but I would hold off for a couple of months as there is a new batch of budget tablets on the way including one from amazon .Worth the wait as there are lots of tablets better than a vega but its the only one in its price range with the performance to stand up to the bigger players.