Hanging the Vega up to a wall

Guest qwertymz

Guest qwertymz

I'm running a project, and need to hook up my Advent Vega onto a wall. I'm very skeptical of screwing it in (obviously!) so I'm wondering if there's a frame I could slot it into, which would then hang onto a wall?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by qwertymz

Guest shameful

There was someone who hung up their Vega in the kitchen. They wrote about it for a previous competition. Try searching for kitchen and you'll probably find it.

Guest Komiket

I'm running a project, and need to hook up my Advent Vega onto a wall. I'm very skeptical of screwing it in (obviously!) so I'm wondering if there's a frame I could slot it into, which would then hang onto a wall?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

I managed to build a shelf out of some bits of wood leftover from blinds and an old drafts set and stuck it to the wall with blu-tack. Since the Vega is quite light it's really pretty stable.

post-815924-0-06183800-1315049761_thumb.

Blu Tac !!! ....eeeeeek!, £199 vega held up with blu-tac, are you insane ? isn't blu-tac for paper hanging.

It would look much nicer with a couple of screws holding it to the wall ....lol

Guest Komiket

Blu Tac !!! ....eeeeeek!, £199 vega held up with blu-tac, are you insane ? isn't blu-tac for paper hanging.

It would look much nicer with a couple of screws holding it to the wall ....lol

In all honesty it would, but I'm not allowed to put screws in the wall where I'm living. Having said that it hasn't fallen yet and it's been up since February (touch wood)

Guest Panayioti

In all honesty it would, but I'm not allowed to put screws in the wall where I'm living. Having said that it hasn't fallen yet and it's been up since February (touch wood)

Well dont touch the shelf you made it might fall ;)

Guest boffboff

Google PadTab - brilliant idea & so simple.

Costs about £15 on eBay but you get 2 'hangers' that are invisible when stuck to the wall

There was someone who hung up their Vega in the kitchen. They wrote about it for a previous competition. Try searching for kitchen and you'll probably find it.

Here's the post - check the video to see the PadTab

http://android.modac...e-media-centre/

Guest qwertymz

Thanks everyone - got a PadTab, and we'll see how that goes.

On a related note - I also want to block the top buttons somehow, so that my users can't "leave" my application in any way. I don't think a software solution is possible - so can anyone recommend an easy way of doing so, perhaps by getting some sort of cover thing?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!!

Guest Quipeace

On a related note - I also want to block the top buttons somehow, so that my users can't "leave" my application in any way. I don't think a software solution is possible - so can anyone recommend an easy way of doing so, perhaps by getting some sort of cover thing?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!!

I you might be able to disable the buttons by trying what is suggested here:

http://androidforums.com/application-requests/96432-disable-physical-key.html

Haven't tested it myself, but it should actually work for the back button as well.

If that doesn't work you can also just remove the buttons. I'm not sure (again) but I think once you have removed the backcover you can easily remove the button.

Guest HypoTurtle

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!!

Software wise after seeing your post I took "I don't think a software solution is possible" as a challenge. Using CWM I founf the numbers allocated to the hardware buttons 114/115 are the numbers for the volume buttons, I then copied the generic.kcm file from /system/usr/keychars to the sdcard so I could edit it. Keeping a copy of the original, editing it so that the commands at 114/115 both read the same Volume_UP and then overwriting the original with this file.

On reboot none of the buttons worked (was just expecting the volume button to change it's action), perhaps I hadn't had the proper permissions on the altered file, will investigate asap. So software wise I'd advise changing this file. I'm on 3.2 8.1 but I'd expect the files to be similar on all the ROMs.

I didn't have the change running for long but it seemed stable and the only response from the hard button is when you long hold the power button to force the tablet off; which I had to do as I disabled the statusbar.

Alternatively If this is your app and you know how to dev then there should be a way to map the hard keys within the app, something done by various emulators (gbcoid etc.).

Guest Vansphone

Software wise after seeing your post I took "I don't think a software solution is possible" as a challenge. Using CWM I founf the numbers allocated to the hardware buttons 114/115 are the numbers for the volume buttons, I then copied the generic.kcm file from /system/usr/keychars to the sdcard so I could edit it. Keeping a copy of the original, editing it so that the commands at 114/115 both read the same Volume_UP and then overwriting the original with this file.

On reboot none of the buttons worked (was just expecting the volume button to change it's action), perhaps I hadn't had the proper permissions on the altered file, will investigate asap. So software wise I'd advise changing this file. I'm on 3.2 8.1 but I'd expect the files to be similar on all the ROMs.

I didn't have the change running for long but it seemed stable and the only response from the hard button is when you long hold the power button to force the tablet off; which I had to do as I disabled the statusbar.

Alternatively If this is your app and you know how to dev then there should be a way to map the hard keys within the app, something done by various emulators (gbcoid etc.).

I watched a jokey video about an Ipad being stuck everywhere including walls using sticky back Velcros.

Guest qwertymz

This is incredibly useful! Do let me know how you get on if you decide to look further into disabling these keys. :)