Trying to Port ROM

Guest Ri2do

Hello All,

As you are well aware Trip is taking some time off from ROM's due to personal matters, but as MIUI will not stop for him, I thought that it would be a good idea, to try and port the new MIUI 1.9.2 to our phones.

Let me start with saying that I'm not a Dev, I'm not even a Cook, just a user with a great interest, so my knowledge is very limited.

I've been trying to follow Rdannar instructions to port the new ROM, and I use Trip's 1.8.26 for sources, but have no idea if this will work and I'm a bit scared to try to install it on my phone (dont wanna to brick it or anything like that :/).

I always wanted to try and port a ROM, but as I have a very limited knowledge of C++ and Java environment, I always thought that it will be way to hard to do.

So I have a few questions:

1. if I screw up the porting and try to flash it on my phone, what is the worse thing that may happen ?

2. Could anyone let me know if you can port the whole ROM using sources from Trip's rom plus the new Release of MIUI, by replacing the files and changing the build.prop and not using a "kitchen" ( i don't have one, and I don't know where to find one, or use one :(((( )

3. Finally if anyone could provide me with some additional information about porting for a newbie, as I would like to make it happen.

If I would succeed then, I will release is here, but I will be a far cry from Trip's ROM's as don't know how to apply any of his tweaks, so this would be a very much stock ROM. ( all credit would go to T, as I used his rom for sources )

I hope this make sense, and I look forward to your advices.

One more thing, if trying to port a ROM without a kitchen and advance knowledge of coding, is not possible if you could let know would be much appreciated ( I will not try to go any further as I dot know these things at the moment.)

Thanks All.

Edited by Ri2do

Guest chunkylover2321

I think trip users his own code for what he does, hence why no one else is porting the miui. Other developers are using android 2.3.3 and using the stock rom for their sources. MIUI is running android 2.3.5 which unless you have trips code and his no how then it's near impossible. Hence why he is the only developer porting it. I'm sure we can hold out. If you want a stable rom in the mean time, flash to wolfs as their is no issues. For now trips going through a hard time and I don't think he is going to start giving his code away for other developers to use, specially when their is no guarantee he will get the credit for it.

Everyone is wanting an update but for now his life is more important than our phones. people have the option to wait it out like I'm doing or to flash to another rom. Their are other developers out their. Maybe a developer will try and port MIUI but for now, we have to be patient. After all trips done a lot for us, so least we can do is be patient :-)

I think trip users his own code for what he does, hence why no one else is porting the miui. Other developers are using android 2.3.3 and using the stock rom for their sources. MIUI is running android 2.3.5 which unless you have trips code and his no how then it's near impossible. Hence why he is the only developer porting it. I'm sure we can hold out. If you want a stable rom in the mean time, flash to wolfs as their is no issues. For now trips going through a hard time and I don't think he is going to start giving his code away for other developers to use, specially when their is no guarantee he will get the credit for it.

Everyone is wanting an update but for now his life is more important than our phones. people have the option to wait it out like I'm doing or to flash to another rom. Their are other developers out their. Maybe a developer will try and port MIUI but for now, we have to be patient. After all trips done a lot for us, so least we can do is be patient :-)

Thanks mate, you are right about the codes and stuff. I'm not going to ask Trip for them (it his own work and if he would like to share them then he would most likely did it by now ). I'm not in rush to get a new ROM, I'm on Trips 1.8.26 and I dont have any issues with the ROM (it been my daily for a while now).

As I said I'm interesting in learning to port roms, even on the basic level. I'm trying to get to grips with this kitchen: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=633246, but I'm struggling to get it running (shame on me :/).

I will try anyway, maybe use a stock 2.3.3 for sources and try again. My biggest concern is testing my work, as I'm really scared that I may soft brick my phone :/

Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated.

Edited by Ri2do

Guest pissat4motion

First of all, Im no Dev..no Cook...no Construction worker..just a Trip ROM flash junkie.

But from my small understanding of what Ive read in the "porting MIUI" thread: if all thats being done is using the newest MIUI release and Trips already ported MIUI ROM as source (of course with his express permission) the hardest part has already been done.

Trip has already ported MiUI to the x10 in the previous release, so wouldnt it just be a matter of taking Trips port of 1.8.26 and replacing the old MIUI files with the new 1.9.2?

..or maybe Im oversimplifying it?

First of all, Im no Dev..no Cook...no Construction worker..just a Trip ROM flash junkie.

But from my small understanding of what Ive read in the "porting MIUI" thread: if all thats being done is using the newest MIUI release and Trips already ported MIUI ROM as source (of course with his express permission) the hardest part has already been done.

Trip has already ported MiUI to the x10 in the previous release, so wouldnt it just be a matter of taking Trips port of 1.8.26 and replacing the old MIUI files with the new 1.9.2?

..or maybe Im oversimplifying it?

Thats what I thought as well :] I used bits from Trip build.prop and other files to amend the new miui version, and while doing it I seen some lovely messages from trip to other devs trying to copy his work :D

Edited by Ri2do

Guest milad407

We could try asking people on miui android if they know exactly which files that have been modified then ask trip if he have modified thoose files so they work properly... if he havent maybe try replacing them in kitchen and see if it works.. I only have a little knowledge in this stuff I'm definitely not a developer... :)

Sent from my X10 TripNMiUI-1.8.26

Edited by milad407

We could try asking people on miui android if they know exactly which files that have been modified then ask trip if he have modified thoose files so they work properly... if he havent maybe try replacing them in kitchen and see if it works.. I only have a little knowledge in this stuff I'm definitely not a developer... :)

Sent from my X10 TripNMiUI-1.8.26

Thanks mate, I don't want to bother Trip at the moment, thats way I'm asking here :]. Asking ppl on MIUI is a good idea I may do that later today. at the moment I'm trying to educate myself a bit about working with a android kitchen, as I never tried it before.

Edited by Ri2do

below is my 2 cents worth,

1. PM trip and ask him if it's ok to use his latest ROM as a base, it's better to ask the original creator before hand.

2. you guys can discuss how to port miui, but please do not discuss/assume how trip is going to react.

3. if you guys have language barriers problem, let me know and i'll see what i can do, am fluent in chinese :)

below is my 2 cents worth,

1. PM trip and ask him if it's ok to use his latest ROM as a base, it's better to ask the original creator before hand.

2. you guys can discuss how to port miui, but please do not discuss/assume how trip is going to react.

3. if you guys have language barriers problem, let me know and i'll see what i can do, am fluent in chinese :)

Thank you Lancez, I will ask Trip if is ok to use his ROM.

Also I'm very impressed that you are fluent in Chinese, I would love to learn Japanese in the future, but I'm still far of this dream ;]

Cheers

EDIT:

to your post below Lancez. Wow, what else can I say :D

I only know 2 langue's fluently but only English is useful one ;]

PS: I've PM Trip for his permission, if I don't get it I will let you know to have this thread closed.

Thanks again

Edited by Ri2do

PS: I've PM Trip for his permission, if I don't get it I will let you know to have this thread closed.

Thanks again

it's not necessary to close this topic. you guys need a place to talk about it :)

joint development, maybe? you know, Ri2do is PO and trip is master SHIFU. just a thoughts tho :rolleyes:

hehehe, good one :D

Trip could whip this port in less then 30 minutes, I'm sure about this :D. He said that he has a whole batch of sources and stuff (clever man)

Since I flashed my first custom rom ( funny enough it was Trip's rom) I always wanted to know how you can do that, so I'm now starting to learn. I'm far from knowing what I'm doing but I just thought that maybe updating a ROM is simpler then porting the whole thing :P

As I said in my first post, I followed Rdannar instructions, and I made a zip file, but I'm way to scared to try to flash it :D (especially now that I read a bit about this and I think that bad thing could happen to my phone :P )

Thanks for your input Lancez

Edited by Ri2do

Guest khelwani

hehehe, good one :D

Trip could whip this port in less then 30 minutes, I'm sure about this :D. He said that he has a whole batch of sources and stuff (clever man)

Since I flashed my first custom rom ( funny enough it was Trip's rom) I always wanted to know how you can do that, so I'm now starting to learn. I'm far from knowing what I'm doing but I just thought that maybe updating a ROM is simpler then porting the whole thing :P

As I said in my first post, I followed Rdannar instructions, and I made a zip file, but I'm way to scared to try to flash it :D (especially now that I read a bit about this and I think that bad thing could happen to my phone :P )

Thanks for your input Lancez

don't be my friend, I already did this,,

I made a zip file based on trip's 1.8.26 and 1.9.2 (for personal use),,, followed Rdannar instructions,, and flashed it, but the problem is The phone stuck at sonyericsson logo, so reflash with flashtool ,and back to 1.8.26 <_<,,,,,,,,

I'd love to see Trip making 1.9.2,, but he maybe can't for the time being, so i'm going to try anyway, and will join the team :D

don't be my friend, I already did this,,

I made a zip file based on trip's 1.8.26 and 1.9.2 (for personal use),,, followed Rdannar instructions,, and flashed it, but the problem is The phone stuck at sonyericsson logo, so reflash with flashtool ,and back to 1.8.26 <_<,,,,,,,,

I'd love to see Trip making 1.9.2,, but he maybe can't for the time being, so i'm going to try anyway, and will join the team :D

Thanks mate,

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one, trying to do stuff :D

I may try to install it and see how it goes.

Cheers

Edited by Ri2do

Guest erenz1202

i've been successfully porting miui 1.9.2 from nexus 1

thx to trip for bring this rom to our beloved phone and wb for fantastic rom that i used as based system

i create this for personal use, but i guess right now trip is stop for developing this rom, so i want to share to everyone

package:

-timescape thx to myth999

-extended setting thx to andy thompson

-volume combo thx to andy thompson

bug:

-auto brightness not function fix download

-portable hotspot not function

-built in screenshot caused reboot

work:

offline charging, phone. sms, wifi, camera, etc

not test:

-quadrant

-gps

maybe someone willing to help for fixing the bug

My MiUI 1.9.2

Edited by erenz1202

Thanks for sharing this with us, I will download and have a look, I still have to try my zip file.

If you can, could you please post your porting guide ?

Thanks for your input mate.

Guest erenz1202

Thanks for sharing this with us, I will download and have a look, I still have to try my zip file.

If you can, could you please post your porting guide ?

Thanks for your input mate.

i'ts hard to explain, because i did it by trial n error, mixing miui from nexus1 and wb 4.04

Guest erenz1202

Thank you for sharing... i found no bugs (other than the ones you mentioned) .....some screenshots... you may want to make a new thread thanks pal

thx mate, the auto brightness has been fix, if you tap the toogle on the status bar it will dim for a while, n when the screen goes to sleep it will be set the bright level to zero (your screen will be black :P)

Guest SourceCode

@erenz1202 - Thanks for sharing mate :)

FYI - Tkymgr Kernel FreeKernel-mod405.2-SE233 (the latest one) works on this ROM!!

You can directly flash (just Wipe Cache and clear Dalvik Cache before flashing) the zip FreeKernel mod4.05.2 for SE 2.3.3 from this post - http://forum.xda-dev...508&postcount=2

Cheers.

Edited by SourceCode

Guest erenz1202

@erenz1202 - Thanks for sharing mate :)

FYI - Tkymgr Kernel FreeKernel-mod405.2-SE233 (the latest one) works on this ROM!!

You can directly flash (just Wipe Cache and clear Dalvik Cache before flashing) the zip FreeKernel mod4.05.2 for SE 2.3.3 from this post - http://forum.xda-dev...508&postcount=2

Cheers.

yup, because is based from wb, so basically you can use custom kernel for stock gb (doom kernel or freekernel)