Newbie with bricked Desire

Guest tingle769

Guest tingle769

Hi there, despite not being very tech savvie I managed to root my HTC Desire using Unrevoked and then installed a rom called Redux 1.2. All worked fine for a few days, then suddenly my phone stopped booting (it gets stuck at the HTC logo). If I hold the volume down key when I power on I can get the HBOOT menu, but if I select Recovery i get stuck with the HTC logo again (i.e. I can't get to the Recovery menu).

Please can anybody give me an idiots guide to how i can unbrick my phone without access to the recovery menu?

My phone specs are as follows:

BRAVO PVT3 SHIP S-ON

HBOOT-0.93.0001

MICROP-051d

TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101

RADIO-5.11.05.27

I thought I might be able to use Unrevoked to reflash the phone but it doesn't detect when the phone is connected...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Guest Replacemyscreen

To Un-USB Brick HTC Desire:

1. Hold down the back button, and then turn on your Desire

2. Make sure the screen shows FASTBOOT. If it doesn’t, choose it from the options available

3. In command prompt go to the folder on your computer where you downloaded and extracted the Android SDK to

4. At the command prompt type ‘fastboot oem boot’

5. If you know that you don’t have access to the SD card when your phone loads up, also type the command ‘ fastboot oem enable qxdm 0’

6. The bit you need from the information displayed in the CID. Look for something like ‘INFOCID is O2___001’. In this case, my CID is ‘O2___001’

7. On your phone go to Settings>About phone>Software Information and note your Software Number. Mine was 1.21.405.1

8. Now turn off the phone and take the SD card out and put it in your computer

9. Go to http://ks33673.kimsufi.com/misc/ and put in the details from steps 6 & 7.

10. Download the file it creates

11. Get the flash image from http://www.shadowchild.nl/flash_image

12. Put both of these on the SD card

13. Put the SD Card back in your Desire and turn it on

14. Go to the Market and download a terminal emulator. I used ConnectBot

15. Run Connectbot. In the bottom left corner where it says ‘ssh’ click on the triangle. Choose ‘locall and put in anything for your nickname.

16. Now enter the following commands EXACTLY as they are shown below, pressing enter after each one

17. su

18. cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image

19. cat /sdcard/mtd0.img > /data/mtd0.img

20. chmod 755 /data/flash_image

21. /data/flash_image misc /data/mtd0.img

22. Reboot your Desire, and it should all work again!