huawei e1750

Guest lambsof21

Guest richardmlea

I don't know if your modem is compatable but assuming it is this is how to get connected.

First you need to be in USB host mode. Hold down the back button while turning the Vega on (hold until its fully booted), you should now be in USB host mode.

Now you need to turn on data and 3g and data power. Go to settings, accounts and sync, add account, Google, don't enter account details instead press the menu button on the status bar and more options will pop up, select settings from the pop up menu, now put ticks next to 3g/gps power on and data enebled . You should now get the signal level icon on you status bar and about 20 seconds later the 3G icon will come up on the status bar to say you are connected to 3g ( if wifi is on the 3g logo won't come up until you turn off wifi).

You should now be connected to 3g.

Here is a video of me doing it (except for putting it in usb host mode) on corvus5 with an internal modem, the steps should be the same for r8.

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/5/2ug.mp4/#

Search the market for 3g Widgets to make turning 3g quicker (2 clicks instead of about 6).

Good luck.

Guest Dave Marchant

I believe getting into Host Mode is different on r8, needing an app rather than the back button at startup. I don't think Host Mode is as solid on r8 either and the OP would probably be better going to a ROM like Corvus5 anyway.

Guest lambsof21

I don't know if your modem is compatable but assuming it is this is how to get connected.

First you need to be in USB host mode. Hold down the back button while turning the Vega on (hold until its fully booted), you should now be in USB host mode.

Now you need to turn on data and 3g and data power. Go to settings, accounts and sync, add account, Google, don't enter account details instead press the menu button on the status bar and more options will pop up, select settings from the pop up menu, now put ticks next to 3g/gps power on and data enebled . You should now get the signal level icon on you status bar and about 20 seconds later the 3G icon will come up on the status bar to say you are connected to 3g ( if wifi is on the 3g logo won't come up until you turn off wifi).

You should now be connected to 3g.

Here is a video of me doing it (except for putting it in usb host mode) on corvus5 with an internal modem, the steps should be the same for r8.

http://imageshack.us...eos/5/2ug.mp4/#

Search the market for 3g Widgets to make turning 3g quicker (2 clicks instead of about 6).

Good luck.

many thanks for the reply,i managed to find an earlier piece about the very same dongle, using puTTy and found this worked as far as getting the dongle to appear on vega,sadly

when i try to use it even though everything is recognised i can't get no signal but it works fine in my laptop so still not sorted fully yet.

Guest richardmlea

many thanks for the reply,i managed to find an earlier piece about the very same dongle, using puTTy and found this worked as far as getting the dongle to appear on vega,sadly

when i try to use it even though everything is recognised i can't get no signal but it works fine in my laptop so still not sorted fully yet.

Hi mate its possible that the apn settings are incorrect. Plug the dongle into your laptop and get the apn settings from the program you use to connect (on mine the programs called 3 connect). With the correct apn settings in-hand you can check them against the settings on your Vega (settings,accounts,add account, Google, menu button, settings, apn settings). If it dosen't let you see the settings Try looking at the settings with the 3g/GPS power on but data disabled.

You mentioned putty, have you disabled the virtual CD rom already? Did it definatly disable the virtual CD, plug it into your laptop and see if it autoplays. If it still autoplays the virtual cdrom is not disabled.

If its definatly off check the apn settings and try to connect again.

Turn off data roaming so it only trys to connect to t mobile.

Try, turn on 3g/GPS power but not data, now turn off wifi and reboot the Vega, wait about a minute so all background services load, you should see the signal bar on the status bar, now go back to the settings and turn on the data. If the apn settings are correct it should connect. The first few times I tried to use my huewei e160 it was doing what your is doing and failed to register on the network. After changing the apn name from three.co.uk to 3internet it worked first time.