Overclockable kernel for the ZTE Skate

Guest kallt_kaffe

No I meant kalt_kaffe :)

I know you did :)

ive installed zip but where do i got to overclock it,cant seem to find a setting to overclock it,:angry:

You need to download an app called 'Setcpu', go to Youtube, it shows you tutorials how to use it :) ...there are more than a few, hope that helps.

Guest garym123

I know you did :)

You need to download an app called 'Setcpu', go to Youtube, it shows you tutorials how to use it :) ...there are more than a few, hope that helps.

thanks alot for that,got it at 960 and seems stable and got 1050 in quadrant

same for me, any higher and it reboots

Btw...I was testing out 'Aftermath XHD', it rebooted a couple of times at speeds above 960MHz, when I set the speed to 960MHz, the game ran and then after that it went to an 'Uninstall' screen and did everytime after that when I restarted the game, why can't I play HD games on my phone when they run perfectly fine?

Btw...I was testing out 'Aftermath XHD', it rebooted a couple of times at speeds above 960MHz, when I set the speed to 960MHz, the game ran and then after that it went to an 'Uninstall' screen and did everytime after that when I restarted the game, why can't I play HD games on my phone when they run perfectly fine?

no sure as dead space runs flawless for me even without overclock try using a different .apk or uninstall then redownloading smile.gif

also check that the game is not a demo, or it might be that it dose not support ARMv6

Edited by tillaz

Guest magikstar29

well,my staraddict have no problems with 1,018Ghz (with the kernel of the post #80)

i don't have the problem with i had with the kernel post #42 when i rebooted my phone

for the moment 1,037Ghz not functionnal,it reboot the phone.

Let me know if you can use the highest frequency. I can add more if needed.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Depends. It might be because gpu is being overclocked wrong.

I think I'll provide some more information about this subject.

CPU = The normal processor that takes care of most of the work.

GPU = Graphical Processor, this is the chip responsible for the accelerated 3D. Well, actually I'm pretty sure the CPU and the GPU sit's in the same physical chip (the MSM7227). (a.k.a. GRP or Adreno200)

On a stock ZTE Skate the CPU gets its clock from different PLL's using dividers. The Skate has 3 PLL's running at 245(PLL1), 960(PLL0) and 800(PLL2) MHz. The 480MHz step is using PLL0 divided by 2 and the "800MHz" step uses PLL2 divided by 1. Now what the phone makers doesn't tell you is that the PLL speeds are configured with a multiplier that can be configured up 63 (6-bits) and it multiplies with a clock called PLL_TCXO which runs at 19.2MHz. On the ZTE skate PLL2 is configred as 41*19.2MHz which means it really isn't running at 800MHz but rather at 787.2MHz.

However, this was going to be about the GPU and from my experience from the ZTE Blade the GPU also gets it's clock from PLL2. On the Blade the PLL2 runs at 1200MHz (well not really, actually it's less than that but let's ignore that for now) and the "600MHz" level for the CPU was achieved by dividing PLL2 with 2. So to overclock the Blade I lowered PLL2 and changed the divided to 1. All fine but then we realized that 3D performance went down the drain. On the Blade this was solved by using PLL0 for overclocking instead and I actually overclock PLL2 from multiplier 62 to 63 to get a 1.6% GPU overclock. The divided for the GPU has not been found and so far I've found no information about how to change it. The only side effect by this on the Blade is that PLL0 also controls the Camera chip but the glitches are almost unnoticable and it's and acceptable tradeoff.

Back to the ZTE Skate. We still do not know what the divider is for the GPU and how to change it but likely it is still tied to PLL2. Let's assume the GPU runs att 200MHz. That would mean the ZTE Blade uses PLL2/5 to get that clock and the ZTE Skate uses PLL2/4. This may or may not be try because I do not know the speed the GPU uses but I'll bet it something like that.

However, on the ZTE Skate we only increase PLL2 when overclocking so I we overclock from 800 to 1000MHz it also mean we will overclock the GPU from 200 to 250MHz. Everyone will hit an upper limit but for some in can be the GPU that hits it first for some it can be the CPU. I suspect the ones that crashes in the 3D tests in Quadrant are GPU limited.

Is this bad? Well, it would be better to be able to control the clocks separately which was my original intention but for some reason the kernel didn't boot when I touched PLL0. I'd still say it's a good thing though. You get to overclock the GPU aswell as the CPU. That's not possible (with the currently available knowledge) on the ZTE Blade (except for the tiny 1.6MHz overclock). Hey, most of you seems to get close to 1GHz and I'd bet almost everyone will at least reach a bit above 900MHz. Add some AHB overclocking to that and switch to the BFQ I/O scheduler and you get another 5-10% performance boost.

Guest dadashi

Thanks for the info kallt_kaffe...

I ran quadrant using 940Mhz with bfq schedular and I got 1061 points. 5 minutes later I ran it again and got 1196 points...doesn't say much for quadrant consistancy

Stock speed 787Mhz scores 950 points in quadrant...

• 1 month later...
Guest elcerqua

Same as above but with 33% overclocking on the AHB bus.

Hi, this kernel with AHB bus overclocked does works with the last CM nigthly 1.0 for Skate? Thanks

Guest freke1213

EDIT 2011-09-07:

Kernel that goes to 1036.8MHz: http://android.modac...ost__p__1796809

Kernel that goes to 1036.8MHz and also overclocks the AHB bus with 33% (compared to the kernel above): http://android.modac...ost__p__1796875

The source changes has been pushed here: https://github.com/T...ade/tree/2.6.35

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I DO NOT OWN A ZTE SKATE AND CANNOT TEST THEM MYSELF!

----

Someone asked me if I could add overclocking to the ZTE Skate and I've looked at the source and it looks very doable.

However, I do not own a ZTE Skate so I cannot do any testing myself so I need to check a few things.

1. Do you have a working Clockwork recovery for the ZTE Skate (I believe you do) and can it be accessed with (for example) volume down even if the boot partition is f-cked up.
  2. I want a copy of /proc/config.gz from a ZTE Skate (to make sure the config in the released source is identical to the actual firmware on the sold phones)

Once I have the config I will compile a kernel without overclocking so that someone can confirm that a kernel form the released source works at all (it propably will as both me and TomG allready managed to use the source for the ZTE Blade and ZTE V9). After that, the fun starts. :)

Can you please help me? I'am a rookie about overclocking.

I tried to follow these steps above but i can't figure out how to do. So will someone give me a clearly instruction file?

If it is possible in dutch please. :)

Grtz Frederik

Edited by freke1213

Guest tilal6991
Just one question will this work on CM7 rom for Skate or do I not need to flash this for the overclocking? Thanks...

you don't need to flash it. Overclock included ;)