[ROM] FTB (2.1 mod) - updated 2012 01 01

Guest twrock

Guest twrock

Hey twrock, since u modified the boot.img to be more aggressive than default huawei and less than dta2sd, should the new users apply the a2sd lowmem-moderate? Some people might get confused with that.

I have no "definite" answer for this. The problem is that it all depends on how each individual has set up their phone.

For the record, I still use "a2sd lowmem-moderate", "a2sd swappy30", and "a2sd cachesd". I have 32mb swap and 256mb ext2 partitions on a 8gb, Class10 SD card.

Without any swap partition, swappiness should be 0. That seems very clear to me from all my reading. It also seems "somewhat" clear to me that the size of the swap partition will influence the optimal swappiness setting.

What is not so clear to me is the lowmem settings. If one has no swap, I wonder if something closer to the default lowmem setting is better. Otherwise the ability of the system to multitask is reduced significantly, and background apps and services will be closed unnecessarily. It is complicated.

So instead of setting the lowmem numbers in this rom to the same as the TXG rom, I set them somewhere in between Huawei's default and lowmem-moderate. It is my hope that this will make the system slightly more responsive and less likely to get bogged down when opening a new app. I'm not sure if I succeeded, especially because I have subsequently made adjustments to those settings after installing the rom.

But, I am not a programmer. I'm just a guy who is trying to learn and trying to make a rom that more people than just myself find useful.

I've got to say that I really do like this rom. Sometimes I go back to TXG and run it for a couple of days just to check it out again and do some further testing. But I always end up back at this rom. Particularly the battery life is a huge advantage for me. Installing Quick Settings and Power Widget (paid app), gives me back most of what I especially like about CyanogenMod, so I don't miss that extra functionality. And of course creating the black theme was the "icing on the cake". It looks good, it runs good, it is stable, it doesn't have the CM6 bugs, and it has the best battery life of the 2.1 roms I've used. What's not to like? ;) I'm sure there are other advantages with CM6 roms, but they aren't ones that I make use of, so this is my daily use rom.

Guest twrock

I get the FC (Process com.android.phone is not responding.) on the first booting right after flashing the ROM. And this happens on every other reboot.

A couple of thoughts on this.

First, as Peter says, FC's do happen with this rom. In my experience, FC's happen with every 2.1 rom I have used. (And in my experience, that is one of the advantages of CM6 based roms; it is extremely rare for me to see an FC warning with TXG.) The real trick is to figure out how to reduce the occurrence of fc's to that "extremely rare" level.

I pay no attention to what happens on the first boot after installing any rom. Sometimes it fc's and sometimes it doesn't. The system is working really hard to get everything set up the first time. (In the second post of this thread I mention some things that I find helpful on the first boot; you might want to consider that.)

Zipalign seems like a good idea no matter what rom you are using. It might not be "necessary" if all your apps have already been zipaligned, but it won't cause any trouble either.

I run RomManager's "Fix Permissions" after installing apps or making system changes which also seems to help.

I too freeze a bunch of apps that I want access to, but that I don't often use. (MoDaCo's Easy Freezy app is great for this and a nice way to support this website's owner.) My list is a bit different than Peter's because I have different requirements. (Particularly I am not nearly as aggressive as him in freezing system apps like Superuser and Market.) Apps like Maps and RomManager that I want access to periodically, but which like to force themselves into RAM all the time, are definitely frozen. (I can't figure out why RomManager is given such a high priority level when it is running in the background.)

YMMV, but those are some of the things I do.

Edit: I'm not sure why Peter says you shouldn't freeze Alarm and Calculator. I have a third-party alarm app so I freeze Alarm and haven't noticed any problems at all (am I missing something?). Also, I'd guess Calculator is fine to freeze as well, but I haven't done it since I don't choose to install another.

Edited by twrock

Guest pedrojaime

Once again you are right twrock, Calculator and Alarm (does not affect time) can be frozen, esp if you have an alternative alarm app. Just out of curiosity, which Alarm app are you using? I like to set lowmem-aggressive and I still believe this to be safe enough to not have FCs. Been experimenting with renicing (re-prioritising) processes lately and this can lead to FCs if priorities are set too high.

Also, I believe I have ADB working now also on my laptop though I cannot get the phone serial number recognised. I get:

$ adb devices

?????????? device

It seems to recognise there is a device and I can type 'adb logcat' for example and get output from the phone's log on my laptop but it just doesn't give me a serial number. Has anyone managed to solve this? I guess its just an aestetic issue and not that important since the functionality seems to be there.

thanks,

Peter

Once again you are right twrock, Calculator and Alarm (does not affect time) can be frozen, esp if you have an alternative alarm app. Just out of curiosity, which Alarm app are you using? I like to set lowmem-aggressive and I still believe this to be safe enough to not have FCs. Been experimenting with renicing (re-prioritising) processes lately and this can lead to FCs if priorities are set too high.

Also, I believe I have ADB working now also on my laptop though I cannot get the phone serial number recognised. I get:

$ adb devices

?????????? device

It seems to recognise there is a device and I can type 'adb logcat' for example and get output from the phone's log on my laptop but it just doesn't give me a serial number. Has anyone managed to solve this? I guess its just an aestetic issue and not that important since the functionality seems to be there.

thanks,

Peter

First, can't help you with the serial number question. I have always had the same experience. It works, but doesn't look right. (And I haven't used ADB in so long, I'd have to look up how to do it again.) :huh:

Keep us posted on what you learn about re-prioritizing. I've done some minimal looking into that, and I haven't done very much experimenting with it at all. I was trying to set the SMS (Mms) app's priority to 1 or even 0 with a script in order to "guarantee" that messages were received. I wasn't successful in my attempts. But I also don't seem to have any problem getting SMS messages with this rom. (I don't send and receive many SMS's anyway.)

As an aside, the source I was using to work off of suggested setting HOME to -17, but I think that is ridiculous. That would put it up there with the core system and phone system. I think you'd want your launcher to be dumped before your phone completely crashed. :lol: But setting the launcher's priority can be done in build.prop anyway, so that one is easy.

Yeah, the "best" lowmem settings are not so simple to know what is best. I'm curious if you set it all the way up to aggressive, is it kicking things out of RAM unnecessarily? Using aggressive, hidden apps will start being dumped when the memory drops below 82mb (vs. 30 for moderate and 20 for the Huawei default). For our very low memory device, that seems really high to me. I take it you don't have any trouble because of that, or you'd do it differently. I'm just curious. (I'm experimenting with "optimum" myself at the moment.)

I use Alarm Clock Extreme (paid version). It's way too big, but I got hooked on "auto-snooze" alarms back in my Palm days, so that is a high value for me. I also have used Alarms by PalmarySoft (side-loaded). It is even bit better due to smaller size and "smoothness". But I had this nagging thought that it was the cause of my phone seeming to get less battery life than others were reporting. In testing I was only installing the apps I couldn't live without, and that was one of them. Since I still didn't see the long battery life, I went looking for another option and found Alarm Clock Extreme. I can't say if Alarms really had any problem or not. I believe it is now in the Market listed as by Chillingo (or something like that).

Edited by twrock

Yeah, the "best" lowmem settings are not so simple to know what is best. I'm curious if you set it all the way up to aggressive, is it kicking things out of RAM unnecessarily? Using aggressive, hidden apps will start being dumped when the memory drops below 82mb (vs. 30 for moderate and 20 for the Huawei default). For our very low memory device, that seems really high to me. I take it you don't have any trouble because of that, or you'd do it differently. I'm just curious. (I'm experimenting with "optimum" myself at the moment.)

I stopped with the aggressive mode, cause it started killing my alarm clock (sometimes even the time was freezing) and later started looking for alternatives. The most annoying bug in the 2.1 was that nothing starts by itself after being killed and the most annoying bug in 2.2 is that everything starts again after being killed. So being torned between these two, I decided to stick with nothing being killed and still having the speed of almost fresh install of DE or newest UK update (which are pretty fast).

The most annoying bug in the 2.1 was that nothing starts by itself after being killed and the most annoying bug in 2.2 is that everything starts again after being killed.

LOL. All or nothing. :lol:

You can't install apps that have been odexed. They would have to be "deodexed" first.

You can't install a2sd on a "stock rom". That is part of the whole modification process, making it possible to install a2sd. (But you can look into Link2SD; that is not as complicated to get working.)

Depending on how much time you are willing to spend learning how to do all of that, you probably can. I did, so it can't be that hard. ;)

I actually managed to install and run a2sd on my stock rom and was able to set the a2sd lowmem-moderate settings. Its just the swap partition that couldn't be recognised. It didn't do my battery life any good so am reverting back to FTB09.

I actually managed to install and run a2sd on my stock rom and was able to set the a2sd lowmem-moderate settings. Its just the swap partition that couldn't be recognised. It didn't do my battery life any good so am reverting back to FTB09.

as far as i know swap needs to be enabled on kernel level, so I've flashed FTB boot.img and was able to use swap

If you go back to the RBM2 rom thread, you can read up on a lot of discussions that preceded my release of the FTB rom. There are links in that thread to a number of modified versions of the RBM2 rom.

I had originally thought that I was not seeing better battery life than I was because I could not run the 691 kernel that others could or that others were using Link2SD (instead of DT A2SD). I first eliminated DT A2SD as being the problem by using Link2SD as an alternate for a while. Link2SD did not save me any battery life and didn't function as well as DT A2SD. (IMO; YMMV). Then when I finally figured out how to modify the 691 kernel to default to 614, I was able to run the same boot.img as others. I discovered that is wasn't the boot.img/kernel either. But I did discover that the RBM2 rom with the boot.img that Flibblesan compiled was the best combination for longer battery life for me. So it is either my particular phone or differences in use patterns that were accounting for my lower battery life than others were reporting. (I'm guessing it is the latter.) This FTB rom grew out of all of that experimenting and modifying.

I can say with some certainty that after comparing this rom with the TXG rom, I definitely get better battery life with this rom. Incidentally, I run both roms at 528mhz speed max, even though the kernels are OC capable.

If you want to experiment further, that RBM2 thread has really useful information.

Edit: And, no, I have not seen any information about saving battery life while browsing with 3G. But if you find anything, please let us know.

Edited by twrock

Guest pedrojaime

Well, I don't find that lowmem-aggressive is causing me any problems though i haven't looked at the logs.. It could well be that background processes are being shutodown in the background without me noticing but I suspect not since I don't have too much running and I can get about 3 days batery use out of 1 good charge. I have an app called 'Internet scheduler' that I bought from Market which allows me to connect 3G for 1minute, check email and disconnect for a further 30 minutes (between 06:45-17:00). I guess that's really helping my battery. I will try to set 24hr 3G to see how the battery life differs.

I spent the best part of 2 nights with Quadrant app benchmarking the best results for performance with differing renice values for different processes. I have this running every 30 minutes and I think it makes my phone more responsive. With these settings phone calls come in at the end of the first ring (instead of taking 3 rings). Don't know if this will help anyone out there, would be interesting to see what results other people get out there:

# Google Apps

busybox renice -n 5 -u app_21

# Plugin Launcher

busybox renice -1 `pidof com.launcher.plugin`

# Quick Settings

busybox renice -1 `pidof com.bwk.bequick`

# SMS

busybox renice -1 `pidof com.android.mms`

# BBC Transparent clock widget

busybox renice -1 `pidof factory.widgets.BBCTranspClock`

# Contacts Storage

busybox renice -2 `pidof com.android.providers.contacts`

# Contacts

busybox renice -2 `pidof com.android.contacts`

# Go keyboard

busybox renice -2 `pidof com.jb.gokeyboard`

# Synchronisation

busybox renice -4 `pidof com.huawei.android.ds`

# Superuser

busybox renice -11 `pidof com.noshufou.android.su`

# Download Manager

busybox renice -12 `pidof com.android.providers.downloads`

# generic launcher daemon

busybox renice -12 `pidof com.android.launcher`

# Skype

busybox renice -14 `pidof com.skype.raider`

# Vanilla Media Player

busybox renice -15 `pidof org.kreed.vanilla`

# Settings daemon

busybox renice -17 `pidof com.android.providers.settings`

# Core Android daemon

busybox renice -17 `pidof android.process.acore`

# Media (ringtones and music daemon)

busybox renice -19 `pidof mediaserver`

busybox renice -19 `pidof mediaserver`

# Phone daemon

busybox renice -20 `pidof com.android.phone`

cheers,

Peter

P.S. I am thinking that running from lowest priority to highest (as in this file) is best though it shouldn't make much difference since the whole file is read anyway.. I downloaded the .apk from xda-developers.com btw. It was called phoneprioritizer

• 3 weeks later...

Hey twrock, I'm just wondering, what is the default speed set for this rom? Is it 528Mhz or 614Mhz?

This one's default is 528. (max 691) I went conservative because I believe one of the main reasons to run this "older" rom is for the good battery life. Of course anyone can turn it up.

(TXG is 614 default.)

...I believe one of the main reasons to run this "older" rom is for the good battery life.

Do you think it's because of kernel on rom (everything else) ?

Guest pedrojaime

Currently getting 2 1/2 days with CPU set at 672. I am sure I can get much more with lower CPU. Thanks for the Vanilla news twrock. I am about to dive in and test cyanogenmod 7.2. Something tells me I will really miss this rom!

Do you think it's because of kernel on rom (everything else) ?

I wish I knew. :huh:

The kernel/boot.img were originally from the older FLB mod. I modified the ramdisk only a very little to adjust the max cpu speed and lowmem settings. So it is nothing I did to improve battery life there. Oh, I did add a few lines in build.prop to try to get a tiny bit more battery savings. It "feels" like it helped, but it is hard to tell.

I just know that with all of the CM6.1 roms I've tried, the battery just runs down faster if you do nothing other than let the phone sit completely idle for a few hours. Something is going on that uses power in the CM6.1 roms that doesn't in the RBM2 rom (the base for FTB).

I personally feel that TXG is more stable and "smoother" in my use of it (I get no acore warnings with TXG). But I like the battery life of this rom too much to sacrifice it.

I have not used your CM7.2 rom for long enough periods of time to give any opinion on how it compares. It seems a few people are mentioning that it burns power quite quickly. I hope there is something you (or others) can come up with that will give us equal battery life to this rom.

I personally feel that TXG is more stable and "smoother" in my use of it (I get no acore warnings with TXG). But I like the battery life of this rom too much to sacrifice it.

I have not used your CM7.2 rom for long enough periods of time to give any opinion on how it compares. It seems a few people are mentioning that it burns power quite quickly. I hope there is something you (or others) can come up with that will give us equal battery life to this rom.

Oh trust me, if that decides for you what to use, you won't even touch cm7. With cm7 I barely can get a day (with 2g data always on), with cm6 I get 1 or 2 (depends how many mails I've sent that day) and with custom 2.1 I get 2 or 3 days (again depends on how many mails I've sent).

Now actually I'm testing the official TRE (cause I always used the HU rom).

I don't know why, but only with the HU I get get to all of my backups (doesn't matter how much the system partition is).

The second dload file in it makes the trick.

I don't know why, but only with the HU I get get to all of my backups (doesn't matter how much the system partition is).

I don't understand what you mean by this sentence

I did a lot of work with the Tre rom previously. I really liked it, not only because of partition size, but that was part of it.

Well I have some nand backups from before. Even if I change the system sizes and transfer almost everything to dataext and have even more than enough free space in sys, it wouldn't nand restore to different partition layout (for having more data for example).

I have my fav 2.1 rom installed and settled for my needs, but I can only restore it if I'm on TmoHU update (after the I update it with the second dload. It wouldn't work with the first one only).

I only get bootlops (t-mo/huawei screen, android and reboots).

Guest Dante2070

After trying out a few other roms, with the 7.2 being the latest, I decided to return to this one, since it has proven to be the fastest, most reliable and stable one. Before reflashing it, I'd like to know what swap size you recomend when having a linux swap partition of 96 mb? According to your post I'm guessing 10 would be a good number (32mb - 30, more mb - less swap?). Also, how do I set it in TE? Thanks in advance.

After trying out a few other roms, with the 7.2 being the latest, I decided to return to this one, since it has proven to be the fastest, most reliable and stable one. Before reflashing it, I'd like to know what swap size you recomend when having a linux swap partition of 96 mb? According to your post I'm guessing 10 would be a good number (32mb - 30, more mb - less swap?). Also, how do I set it in TE? Thanks in advance.

I've never had a swap partition that large. Since the default swappiness is set in the boot.img to 15, you might just leave it there for a while and see what happens. If you don't experience lag, don't change it. You can of course use A2sdGUI to set that as well. But in TE:

su

a2sd swappy15

where the number is the level of swappiness you want.