[ROM] FTB (2.1 mod) - updated 2012 01 01

Guest twrock

Guest Dante2070

Strange, never got that error, it seems a2sd program is not able to get correct ownership of a2sd files and set permissions. Does the rom installation complete and boot? If so, I would wait patiently for it to come up and reboot once more and then you can set this later by running in terminal (within android):

su

a2sd reinstall

*Note phone should be rooted to run this. Hope it helps you.

Peter

It doesn't install at all. Installation is aborted.

Likely the common problem of starting with an official rom that has a smaller /system partition. Click on the link in my signature regarding rom installation problems to have it explained in detail.

According to your guide, my problem seems to be a to small /system. I'll try installing the official HU rom, then your mod.

Guest pedrojaime

Just wondering if anyone has encountered issues with the media player hanging when going from normal speaker output to headphones. I have somewhat fixed this by installing 'plug in launcher' and making sure to open the full media player and starting playing the track prior to connecting the headphones (rather than from the widget). Plug in launcher will then get confused (since I only have the free version and it does not know which media player I am using) and it will stop the music but then I can start it again without problems, this time through the puggled-in speakers. I am using Vanilla Media player, not sure if other/stock media players are affected by this.

Guest pedrojaime

Great! its the best, most stable rom with the most functionality for this phone IMHO. I notice the Email program works better for downloading attachments than the gmail app so uninstalled gmail.

Guest pedrojaime

I notice also that if you start freezing/unfreezing apps, Market is quite susceptible to these changes and can break. I then try to go back to the default state (not having any app frozen) and reboot. Nevertheless, and this has happenned twice to me now, I end up in a state where apps no longer download from market. Restoring my last backup before these changes is the fastest way to fix this. Moral of the story: keep a good backup with Market working before experimenting..

Guest Dante2070

Is it possible to change the phone theme? Like Black and orange instead of white and green.

Also, does a2sd automatically move apps to the sd card or do I have to do that manually?

Edited by Dante2070

Guest twrock

Hi twrock, did the beta signup come with both languages? I will try that. Tried many but none are as good as swype!

Swype for download is always "beta" so that is not concern.

Once you sign up, you will be able to first install the Swype Installer. Then you run that to install Swype. When the installer starts, you get to choose between three versions. The English/Spanish is one version and is the smallest.

Guest twrock

Is it possible to change the phone theme? Like Black and orange instead of white and green.

Also, does a2sd automatically move apps to the sd card or do I have to do that manually?

Re: colors, yes, anything is "possible", but the amount of time you might need to spend to learn how to do it might be much more than you want to spend. Just search for "theme" and you can start to read up on what it takes to make your own.

If you have formatted your sd card correctly with an ext2 partition, apps will automatically be moved to SD. However, if you want to increase space further, you can even move the cache to SD. Look back at the first post for instructions.

Guest Dante2070

Re: colors, yes, anything is "possible", but the amount of time you might need to spend to learn how to do it might be much more than you want to spend. Just search for "theme" and you can start to read up on what it takes to make your own.

I've found this theme in the forum: http://www.mediafire...b6bohde1xis52j. and http://www.mediafire.com/?27c2hf5z478olzn It's called Esspresso Mod (black bar and vanilla) and looks great (not that your theme looks bad or anything). After installing things run just as before, so it's not slowing things down.

If you have formatted your sd card correctly with an ext2 partition, apps will automatically be moved to SD. However, if you want to increase space further, you can even move the cache to SD. Look back at the first post for instructions.

I read that it should be doing it automatically, I'm just a little concerned since when I look apps up in the manager, they are displayed full size on the phones memory.

I won't move the cache, because I'm using the card that came with the phone. It's a class 2 or 3 and I was told the card should be at least a class 6 for cache to be moved to it.

Edited by Dante2070

Guest pedrojaime

I want to buy a silicon screen protector. Which one have people found to be the best? By best, I would like scratch/fingerprint proof anti-glare if possible. I've heard invisibleshield is good but what are your experiences, are there better alternatives? I find it hard to believe that any one of them on the market would really be fingerprint proof..? thanks guys

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest pedrojaime

Just wondering if anyone has encountered issues with the media player hanging when going from normal speaker output to headphones. I have somewhat fixed this by installing 'plug in launcher' and making sure to open the full media player and starting playing the track prior to connecting the headphones (rather than from the widget). Plug in launcher will then get confused (since I only have the free version and it does not know which media player I am using) and it will stop the music but then I can start it again without problems, this time through the puggled-in speakers. I am using Vanilla Media player, not sure if other/stock media players are affected by this.

I have got to the bottom of this issue now :) In Vanilla Media Player, I have gone into Preferneces, there I find a 'Volume' setting which was specifically preset at 70% with this rom and only affect the Music Volume. Even if you have in Settings the media volume set at 100%, you will not get the full volume for music unless you go into this Media player setting and set it higher. If I set it at 100% its too loud and sound gets distorted so have settled for 80%. Much better now :D

Guest twrock

A black status bar theme is available in the first post.

A "vanilla" theme is also there to restore the original.

These are "beta", so use at your own risk.

(I'm leaving on an extended trip and likely won't be posting for many days.)

Guest Dante2070

A black status bar theme is available in the first post.

A "vanilla" theme is also there to restore the original.

These are "beta", so use at your own risk.

(I'm leaving on an extended trip and likely won't be posting for many days.)

Just installed the black bar theme. Works pretty good (and even looks better) so far.

loving the black bar theme here too, nice work twrock! :D

Thanks. I've already made a lot of changes to that first beta (I'm on the seventh revision so far, and I'm not done). I've been doing a lot of work on it, including modifying a lot of icons (from other people's theme mods) and even making some new ones of my own. But I'm frustrated by a few incompatibilities in apps like Mms.apk and Email.apk. I might have to give up and just accept those problems.

Huawei also does a few things that make modifying themes a pain.

Here's the latest revision if you want to give it a try:

[FTB06-BlackTheme7.zip]

[This version obsolete; see below for a newer version.]

If you want to go back to the Vanilla theme, you'll need to restore the original build.prop, Phone.apk, Mms.apk, framework-res.apk, and framework-res-hwext.apk.

Edited by twrock

Guest pedrojaime

Hey this is fantastic, I will definitely be testing this later on! Not sure if you noticed the 'Send' button in the default SMS app, the text is not visible..? Not sure if this is still the case in this latest version. Thanks again for your hard work!

Guest Dante2070

Thanks. I've already made a lot of changes to that first beta (I'm on the seventh revision so far, and I'm not done). I've been doing a lot of work on it, including modifying a lot of icons (from other people's theme mods) and even making some new ones of my own. But I'm frustrated by a few incompatibilities in apps like Mms.apk and Email.apk. I might have to give up and just accept those problems.

Huawei also does a few things that make modifying themes a pain.

Here's the latest revision if you want to give it a try:

If you want to go back to the Vanilla theme, you'll need to restore the original build.prop, Phone.apk, Mms.apk, framework-res.apk, and framework-res-hwext.apk.

Does every install of a new theme replace files and therefore not clogg up the memory?

Hey this is fantastic, I will definitely be testing this later on! Not sure if you noticed the 'Send' button in the default SMS app, the text is not visible..? Not sure if this is still the case in this latest version. Thanks again for your hard work!

The SMS app is Mms.apk, and is one of the frustrations I am having. I am aware of the problem, but have not found a good solution.

I just might be nearing the end. Please give me feedback on this latest version of the black theme. Particularly, please pay attention to the bottom bar to see if there are problems with "non-visible" text in any apps.

[FTB06-BlackTheme9a.zip]

[version obsolete; see below]

Also, see the first post for a new "Vanilla Theme" to restore the files to the originals (if you want to do that).

Edited by twrock

I just might be nearing the end. Please give me feedback on this latest version of the black theme. Particularly, please pay attention to the bottom bar to see if there are problems with "non-visible" text in any apps.

Also, see the first post for a new "Vanilla Theme" to restore the files to the originals (if you want to do that).

OK flashing now gonna give u feedback.

Im back on your ROM btw. Because once u format your SD card correctly your ROM is great.

What i discovered was that i was formatting ext-3 and i suspect that was giving me issues with my a2sd settings probably with my nandroids as well.

Very pleased with the roms behaviour right now. Twrock thanks for your work.

ganker

Ok, here's my biggest problem at the moment: I HATE T-MOBILE PINK!

Can anyone help me find information on how to get rid of the pink text highlighting when marking text? I'm combing through old posts about theming, but I can find that specific answer.

Does FLB 1.7 have pink highlighting? Did Ogiogi figure it out? Flibblesan?

Anyone?

Anything?