[ROM] FTB (2.1 mod) - updated 2012 01 01

Guest twrock

Excellent work as always!! Thanks a lot twrock, really pleased with the update :D

Thanks.

I ran into a little issue I never had before. I don't know whether or not it is location related. Maybe someone can verify it.

RomManager no longer appears in the Market for me with the RBM2 settings. I modified those settings to make the phone appear as a Nexus, and RomManager was back. Maybe I should just make that modification to the next release of this rom, but I'm curious about the issue, and would like to understand the reason.

Guest pedrojaime

Thanks.

I ran into a little issue I never had before. I don't know whether or not it is location related. Maybe someone can verify it.

RomManager no longer appears in the Market for me with the RBM2 settings. I modified those settings to make the phone appear as a Nexus, and RomManager was back. Maybe I should just make that modification to the next release of this rom, but I'm curious about the issue, and would like to understand the reason.

I have re-enabled Market (using this latest FTB btw) and searched for rommanager on Market, It seems to bring up many results including ROM Manager (Premium). Is that the one you could not see? Wasn't there a free version? I never install it since I can just run it from Recovery mode so trims down the no. of installed apps.

hope it helps,

Peter

EDIT: One thing I would love to see is to be able to switch on 3G on and off competeley from the desktop. Whenever I use Quick Settings to disable wifi it works but then 3G comes on. The only way I can get this to work is by going into the Android settings -> Wireless & Networks -> mobile networks -> untick 'Data Service'.

Edited by pedrojaime

I have re-enabled Market (using this latest FTB btw) and searched for rommanager on Market, It seems to bring up many results including ROM Manager (Premium). Is that the one you could not see? Wasn't there a free version? I never install it since I can just run it from Recovery mode so trims down the no. of installed apps.

hope it helps,

Peter

EDIT: One thing I would love to see is to be able to switch on 3G on and off competeley from the desktop. Whenever I use Quick Settings to disable wifi it works but then 3G comes on. The only way I can get this to work is by going into the Android settings -> Wireless & Networks -> mobile networks -> untick 'Data Service'.

Thanks for the info.

I don't see the same behavior with Quick Settings. I have Wifi, BT, GPS, 3G-2G, Auto sync, Birghtness, Volumes, and Vibrate mode as my visible buttons. I use 3G-2G to get to the menu to enable and disable the data connection. If data is disabled already before I started using Wifi, after I toggle off Wifi the data connection is not enabled again. Is this not what you are talking about?

Info from the market about Rom Manager "Requires Android: 2.2 and up"

Hmm, very strange. Because after making the change (to faking a Nexus), I can see RomManager just fine with this rom. :huh:

Strike that. I am seeing it because I installed it from a backup. I'll have to do more testing. But if the newest version is 2.2 only, then I guess I will add RomManager to /data in future versions of the rom. It would be unfortunate to not have access to RomManager updates, but at least the version I am using works great (4.8.0.5).

Edited by twrock

Guest pedrojaime

Thanks for the info.

I don't see the same behavior with Quick Settings. I have Wifi, BT, GPS, 3G-2G, Auto sync, Birghtness, Volumes, and Vibrate mode as my visible buttons. I use 3G-2G to get to the menu to enable and disable the data connection. If data is disabled already before I started using Wifi, after I toggle off Wifi the data connection is not enabled again. Is this not what you are talking about?

Thanks a lot twrock, yet another problem solved! I have un-hidden Mobile data (APN) option and that works better for me. I am using Quick settings v1.9.9.5, not sure if same version as yours, I don't see a 2G/3G switch but that's fine.

Thanks a lot twrock, yet another problem solved! I have un-hidden Mobile data (APN) option and that works better for me. I am using Quick settings v1.9.9.5, not sure if same version as yours, I don't see a 2G/3G switch but that's fine.

There is more than one app named "Quick Settings" on the Market. Did you keep the one that came pre-installed in the latest version of this rom? That is the one I am talking about. It also has an APN switch, but I don't use it.

It is just my use pattern is very different than most people's. I almost always have data turned off (my contract plan is for very little data useage), and I do all my synchronizing/surfing/downloading via Wifi. So I leave my phone on 2G by default (why waste the battery for voice only), and will only want to enable/disable 3G and data at the same time. So it is less taps to go to that Settings screen and change them both there. the 3G/2G switch in Quick Settings take you to that Settings screen.

Whats up :) just flashed the Rom and it refuses to connect to google account for sync.

It seems it cant see the available 3g or wifi connection....

Any connection to what Pedrojaime is talking about ?

its an annoying issue :)

/ganker

Guest pedrojaime

I can definitely connect to 3G/wifi without issue and my market is working fine too. The issue I was having was with Quick settings where I could not disable 3G from that app. Also, when I did switch wifi off, 3G came on again. This was fixed by twrock's recommendation to use APN method of enabling/disabling 3G within that app.

Now, was looking into the ROM's zip file last night and I noticed that I happened to download a different 'Quick settings' app from that included in the FTB rom.

Mine: http://www.appbrain.com/app/quick-settings/com.bwx.bequick

FTB: http://www.appbrain.com/app/quick-settings/com.aps.smartbar.quicksettings

I think I prefer mine. To be honest they look extremely similar and nearly the same installed size, not sure if they copied each other.. In any case, both work fine for enable/disable of 3G.

Hope it helps clarify things you are seeing on your phone!

I can definitely connect to 3G/wifi without issue and my market is working fine too. The issue I was having was with Quick settings where I could not disable 3G from that app. Also, when I did switch wifi off, 3G came on again. This was fixed by twrock's recommendation to use APN method of enabling/disabling 3G within that app.

Now, was looking into the ROM's zip file last night and I noticed that I happened to download a different 'Quick settings' app from that included in the FTB rom.

Mine: http://www.appbrain....com.bwx.bequick

FTB: http://www.appbrain....r.quicksettings

I think I prefer mine. To be honest they look extremely similar and nearly the same installed size, not sure if they copied each other.. In any case, both work fine for enable/disable of 3G.

Hope it helps clarify things you are seeing on your phone!

OK. and now I fixed it. Apparently logging onto your google account requires the time and/or date to be setup correct. .... ofc.

so FTB FTW :)

/ganker

Edited by ganker

I need some help testing a few more modifications. Since I don't use my phone in a very typical way, I'd like to know how these modifications affect other people.

What they do for me is give me a lot longer battery life. It has been very noticable for me over the past 48 hours.

So if you test this, please give any feedback you have related to battery life and rom speed (does the added battery life effect speed?). Thanks.

Warning: As always, do a nandroid backup first. This tweak will replace your build.prop file with a modified version. So if you have made your own changes to your build.prop file, you might want to think that through.

Flash with CWRecovery to install the tweaks.

FTB09betatweaks2.zip

Edited by twrock

Guest pedrojaime

Morning (for me) twrock, I tried flashing the file last night. So far the battery is pretty good, thought it was pretty good before too. I am just trying to think of a decent test I can do to find out for sure which build.prop file makes the battery last longer. One thing I noticed is that (on my pulse at least), there doesn't seem to be any loss of performance for me at all. So, I guess my results are inconclusive for now. I will look into the file later on and maybe compare battery degradation overnight with one file compared to the other - its the only way I can think of to do a fair benchmark test. So far, what I noticed was that in 8 hourse the battery went down 8% (from 71% to 63%). I have setcpu set to 122/122 overrnight though since I want to save as much battery as possible overnight. I need to test more..

cheers,

Peter

Koushik said he will fix the rom manager bug with the market and make it available to 2.1 again. :-)

Good news!

Does this mean that the current version works just fine with 2.1, even though you can't find it on the Market?

Guest pedrojaime

just to let you know that the changes you have made to the build.prop (?) have definitely improved my battery life! Thanks for this! Its very noticeable for me, just haven´t quantified by how much. great work :)

just to let you know that the changes you have made to the build.prop (?) have definitely improved my battery life! Thanks for this! Its very noticeable for me, just haven´t quantified by how much. great work :)

Thanks for the feedback. So maybe it isn't just me noticing it.

I'm testing the same settings in TXG at the moment. Maybe it will help there too.

Please follow up with any more you learn, particularly if you experience an negative effect on performance.

Edited by twrock

Thanks for the feedback. So maybe it isn't just me noticing it.

I'm testing the same settings in TXG at the moment. Maybe it will help there too.

Please follow up with any more you learn, particularly if you experience an negative effect on performance.

Hey Twrock.

Been running the beta 09 fix all day. No issues here. Can´t tell for sure! if its given me more juice, since I have funky combination of DT-a2sd and link2sd running on my phone. So things r not normal on the phone atm.

DT a2sd to move my cache and handle swap. Then deactived the apps on sd setting in DT-a2sd and then I use link2sd for linking apps to sd, it gives me more control over what gets sent to SD.

/ganker.

Hey Twrock.

Been running the beta 09 fix all day. No issues here. Can´t tell for sure! if its given me more juice, since I have funky combination of DT-a2sd and link2sd running on my phone. So things r not normal on the phone atm.

DT a2sd to move my cache and handle swap. Then deactived the apps on sd setting in DT-a2sd and then I use link2sd for linking apps to sd, it gives me more control over what gets sent to SD.

/ganker.

I'm curious why you don't want everything to go to SD that can.

I can imagine there is the thought that internal memory is faster, but I've also seen reported here that there is an increase in speed when cache is moved to SD, so who knows. :huh:

Oh and twrock, can I add you somewhere? Since I cant pm u here, pm me with contact info (if its fine by you).

Why can't you PM me here? I believe my PM's are turned on. (I just don't respond to questions that should be asked in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I try not to be too grumpy when I inform people of that.)

Why can't you PM me here? I believe my PM's are turned on. (I just don't respond to questions that should be asked in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I try not to be too grumpy when I inform people of that.)

Oh, never mind then. I usually use the mobile for viewing this forum, so I guess I still haven't learned the mobile navigation. :/