CM6.1 & GPS

Guest de_shepherd

Guest de_shepherd

Does GPS work with CM6.1 ROMs? I thought I'dused it since I installed CM6.1 but in past few days when I've wanted to use GPS it has utterly failed to find location ... no GPS symbol appears in the top bar when its turned on etc.

Thanks for any info!

n.b. think the ROM I've got is CyanogenMod Plus

Edited by de_shepherd

Does GPS work with CM6.1 ROMs? I thought I'dused it since I installed CM6.1 but in past few days when I've wanted to use GPS it has utterly failed to find location ... no GPS symbol appears in the top bar when its turned on etc.

Thanks for any info!

n.b. think the ROM I've got is CyanogenMod Plus

It works for me in CM6.1. There is a bug where the icon remains in the notification bar even after it is turned off, but it does work while it is turned on.

Guest de_shepherd

It works for me in CM6.1. There is a bug where the icon remains in the notification bar even after it is turned off, but it does work while it is turned on.

Now you mention it, I remember that "bug" so I've definitely used GPS with this ROM .... just that now it seems to be totally non-functional - never get the icon in the notification bar even if I turn GPS on directly from settings. Time to do some more experimenting unless anyone else has already encountered/solved this issue.

Guest de_shepherd

Tried various ideas .... rebuilt dalvik cache in case something in there was corrupted, stepped up to a factory reset and then to a full reflash of the ROM but none of these have had any effect .... so beginning to think that something in my GPS subsystem is now non-functional - unless anyone has any other ideas.

Anyway, suppose can add this to the list of "reasons why I need to upgrade my phone"!

Tried various ideas .... rebuilt dalvik cache in case something in there was corrupted, stepped up to a factory reset and then to a full reflash of the ROM but none of these have had any effect .... so beginning to think that something in my GPS subsystem is now non-functional - unless anyone has any other ideas.

Anyway, suppose can add this to the list of "reasons why I need to upgrade my phone"!

I suppose your "full reflash of the rom" was to an official Huawei rom? If you did that and your GPS is still not working, I think it's bad news. :(

Guest de_shepherd

I suppose your "full reflash of the rom" was to an official Huawei rom? If you did that and your GPS is still not working, I think it's bad news. :(

No, it was the same CM6.1 ROM .. just in case something had got corrupted along the way.

Anyway, guess what, tried GPS again on my lunchtime walk .... and it sprang to life! Think I'd forgotten that the notifcation bar icon for GPS only seems to appear after it has locked (I think its meant to appear as a "searching" icon then changing to the "locked" icon once it has got a fix .... of course, it is now not disappearing when I disable GPS but I knew that). Still think something was wrong before I reflashed as I'd failed to get a fix a couple of times recently while trying to use it with my tracks or google maps. My assumption that it was stil not fixed is probably because I'd forgotten that the notification bar "bug" meant the icon doesn't appear until it has got a fix which wasn't going to happen when I was trying it indoors last night!

So may be all is fine now ... well, except the phone has now decided to get stuck in landscape mode - a reboot should fix that!

So may be all is fine now ... well, except the phone has now decided to get stuck in landscape mode - a reboot should fix that!

That bug is known as well. See the Basic CM6.1 thread first post for possible solutions.

Guest de_shepherd

I had the same problem with the 6.1 rom. The solution for me was to turn on 3g. After doing that, gps was there in a few seconds.

Think something had been definitely gone wrong which has been fixed by reflashing as now it seems to get a fix very rapidly (presumably via A-GPS) whereas couple of weeks ago I spent about 5 mins waiting for it to fail to get a fix - wanted to turn it on before starting to record a track with My Tracks while going round the big hedge maze at Longleat ... managed to record a track when I was there last year and when we eventually got to the centre it was amusing to pull up the track to see quite how lost we'd been along the way!