Why my Vega has become so slow?

Guest Valjean

Guest Valjean

Hi,

I have my Advent Vega since march and I have installed MCR R8. Recently my tablet is working slowly and I have received a message reporting that there were few memory left.

I use CCleaner to move my apps to SD Card, but it seems that this is not enough. I had 135 apps most of them moved to SD card, and the information about memory was 38 Mb left. I have deleted some apps and the memory left has raised to 55 Mb, but the working speed remains the same.

I wonder if the reason of the slowness will be the memory. In the days before I detected this problem I have not installed so much apps to make a difference.

I would be pleased to know your oppinion and suggestions to solve this issue.

P.S. Sorry for my basic english. I'm embarrased about talking like a robot.

Guest stoofer

135 apps sounds like an awful lot.

I suspect your speed may be to some of them not giving back their resources to the OS properly and/or having many apps/services running in the background.

Hi,

I have my Advent Vega since march and I have installed MCR R8. Recently my tablet is working slowly and I have received a message reporting that there were few memory left.

I use CCleaner to move my apps to SD Card, but it seems that this is not enough. I had 135 apps most of them moved to SD card, and the information about memory was 38 Mb left. I have deleted some apps and the memory left has raised to 55 Mb, but the working speed remains the same.

I wonder if the reason of the slowness will be the memory. In the days before I detected this problem I have not installed so much apps to make a difference.

I would be pleased to know your oppinion and suggestions to solve this issue.

P.S. Sorry for my basic english. I'm embarrased about talking like a robot.

Are we talking about memory (ram) or memory (storage) ?

sounds like your talking about storage ... the lack of storage on /data may give slower performance but having 55mb free should not exhibit too much of an impact .. its more likely something else is up ... logcat may show whats going on in the background ...

Also there is a need for explination as to what "working slowly" actually means... gui performace, swiping is slow? or is it web browser is slow, mail coming in slow etc? you see my point ?

Ohh and your English is fine .. better than some ive seen ;)

Cheers

Cass

Hi again,

First of all, thank you very much to you three for your help. I'm going to correct the lack of information of my first post.

These are my data about memory when I run Task Manager. I have just killed all no needed apps and cleaned cache.

Memory: Total 373 MB Available 199 MB

Internal Storage: Total 328 MB Available 58,13 MB

SD Card: Total 3,67 GB Available: 2,55 GB

The slowness I detect is mainly when I scroll in a web page or in the menu of apps for example. It doesn't seem to be a problem of the screen because I have recalibrated some days ago and it is responding to touchs fine.

The lack of memory that I had been informed seems to be the Internal Storage. Where is located this memory? Is there any way of increasing it? I remember to have read about include an ext2 partition in SD Card, but I don´t remember where I have read it or if this is valid for my problem.

Tank you again for your help.

Guest HypoTurtle

Hi again,

First of all, thank you very much to you three for your help. I'm going to correct the lack of information of my first post.

These are my data about memory when I run Task Manager. I have just killed all no needed apps and cleaned cache.

Memory: Total 373 MB Available 199 MB

Internal Storage: Total 328 MB Available 58,13 MB

SD Card: Total 3,67 GB Available: 2,55 GB

The slowness I detect is mainly when I scroll in a web page or in the menu of apps for example. It doesn't seem to be a problem of the screen because I have recalibrated some days ago and it is responding to touchs fine.

The lack of memory that I had been informed seems to be the Internal Storage. Where is located this memory? Is there any way of increasing it? I remember to have read about include an ext2 partition in SD Card, but I don´t remember where I have read it or if this is valid for my problem.

Tank you again for your help.

Link2sd / sdext2 wouldn't be much help in this case. 60MB seems an adequate amount to me, the only figure missing is RAM, i.e the memory being used by running apps, it's seen at the bottom of settings > applications > running services (just had a check in a Virtual Machine). There may be an app misbehaving and drawing too much RAM (I have the Watchdog app, running to identify when this happens; occasionally for me with browser and market).

What app are you using to move your apps to the sd card ? Links2sd is the one that requires an ext partition, apps2sd doesn't.

Thank you for your post. I use ccleaner to move apps, but not every app can be moved. In MCR r8 was included Links2sd. I've run it and says that I've no ext2 partition.

How can I create en ext2 partition?. Do you think this will help to solve the slowness?

Thank you again.

Link2sd / sdext2 wouldn't be much help in this case. 60MB seems an adequate amount to me, the only figure missing is RAM, i.e the memory being used by running apps, it's seen at the bottom of settings > applications > running services (just had a check in a Virtual Machine). There may be an app misbehaving and drawing too much RAM (I have the Watchdog app, running to identify when this happens; occasionally for me with browser and market).

Hi,

I have followed your instructions. The information showed in the bottom line of running services is :

Others 46 MB in 3 Available: 160 MB + 77 MB in 14

Do you think these figures are adequate for a smooth working of the tablet?. Where else may I look at?

Thank you again.

Hi to all,

I had forgotten to do the easiest. I have switched off and then switched on and now it works as smooth as ever.

In the way I,ve learned some more about how it works. Thank you to everyone of you.

Edited:

To HypoTurtle,

I have seen afterwards that you give the hint in other thread, where you say the slowness is due to the named "Tombstone" files, and that if you reboot the tablet, the issue is solved.

Edited by Valjean

Guest HypoTurtle

Hi to all,

I had forgotten to do the easiest. I have switched off and then switched on and now it works as smooth as ever.

In the way I,ve learned some more about how it works. Thank you to everyone of you.

Edited:

To HypoTurtle,

I have seen afterwards that you give the hint in other thread, where you say the slowness is due to the named "Tombstone" files, and that if you reboot the tablet, the issue is solved.

Yea deleting tombstones was gonna be the first thing that I was gonna suggest but that isn't/wasn't a noted issue with R8. There are other files that are cleared when the device is rebooted so yea in general if you've changed apps a reboot will clear the system of temporary files / remnants that aren't required.

As always if in doubt REBOOT.

My Vega used to run slowly sometimes after waking up from sleep around 3 times a week with MCR R8 but since switching to Corvus5 it hasn't happened since.

Corvus5 also seems to either keep the wi-fi connection on when sleeping or reconnects it much faster on waking? Either way it's a bonus and battery loss is no worse for it.

Might just be a co-incidence or maybe something else was doing it which got wiped when I changed ROM but worth a try if your thinking about changing ROM's anyway.

Edited by worto03