New model vega with bad quality plastic screen?

Guest jimmy191

Guest jimmy191

Following the recent refurb Vega deal on HotUKDeals it's become apparent that theres a new version of the Vega with a worse screen than before.

I know my glass screen vega hasn't got the best screen in the world, but it's not that bad... new vega owners seem to find the screen to be completely un usable.

Has anyone got any photos of the two compared to each other?

Guest richardmlea

Hi jimmy,

I don't think age has anything to do with the screen being plastic or glass it seams to I be random. Mine was purchased late in may 2011 and according to the stickers inside it was manufactured in early February.

It has a plastic screen and it works great. I don't seem to have as many touchsreen issues as other people have (very rarely are my touch's not registered even at the top). I have more than once dropped things on mine ( a zippo lighter and a wooden coaster that stuck to the bottom of my tea cup and then fell off as I took a drink of my tea :o ) and so far it has survived without a scratch. It is definitely not soft plastic that scratches easily its pretty durable. And its definatly plastic as I have compared it to the demo model in PC world in manchester and that was glass and felt completely different. I didnt take a photo to compare but the look exactly the same but feel different to touch. Maybe there are more than one type of plastic screen and mine is better than others but mine is neither new or flimsey. Warriorscott has also had both glass and plastic Vegas, he too thought the digitizer worked better on the plastic one but he did say it scratched easier.

If you think about it a more flexible plastic screen would be less likely to crack and shatter than glass meaning the LCD would break before the digitizer. As the digitizer is not at present replacable and the LCD is I know which I would rather have break.

Maybe they have altered the design now because they decided that the glass was too brittle . Maybe mine is plastic because it was a test batch of plastic screens, who knows :huh:

I am happy with my plastic screen especially if it means its less likely to break.

Edited by richardmlea