Windows 8 Tech Preview

Guest simonta

Hi gang

Just thought I'd report that I have Windows 8 tech preview on my laptop (Tosh Satellite Pro A120).

Only had one (major) issue in that running setup automatically (when the DVD is inserted or you choose autorun) resulted in a process, queryappblock.exe, hanging with 100%. To resolve, I ran setup.exe directly from the sources folder of the DVD. I did a clean install to a seperate partition giving me a dual boot with Windows 7.

After install, the only thing missing was the driver for the Intel 945G Express graphics which I fixed by installing the Windows 7 driver direct from Intel.

So far, it's kind of interesting but it's such an early version that apart from the Metro interface, there's not much to see. I do like Metro on my Samsung Omnia but jury is out for me if I like it on a PC. Still, you can switch to the old familiar interface with a click so I can go either way. It also comes with a bunch of Metro apps, mainly uninspiring games. It also has a" Places" equivalent and some social hubs but nothing's going to blow your skirt up if you're used to a smartphone/tablet.

It runs fast, but not noticeably more than Win7 and, because I'm dual booting and on a hard disk, the much trumpeted super fast boot is not evident. No doubt on an SSD and with beefier hardware than my old Tosh, it will boot mucho rapido. Let' see.

Started to think how it might be installed on a Vega but, and I really want to set correct expectations, I currently don't believe it's possible. Even if someone can figure out a way to install (any ideas???), I can't see how we could get drivers unless someone wants to write them from the ground up. I don't see the OEMs retrospectively writing drivers so they'll only be available for Win8 target platforms, of which the Vega ain't one.

My only thought for install is a system image with a custom bootloader but have no clue where to start without documented bootloader specs for the Vega.

Still, would be good to be proved wrong.

Edited by simonta

The Preview of Windows 8 is for x86 or x64 processors only, there is nothing released for the ARM processors at all yet.

Yeh, but apart from that? ;)

But seriously, you're right, and thinking about more about it (might have been a good thing before posting eh?), it's likely to be released via OEMs only.