[WORKAROUND] Froyo 2.2.1 on BYTEL running U8230V100R001C101B282SP03

Guest U_Droid

Hi,

I can only install the U8230V100R001C101B282SP03, from BYTEL website - Android v1.5 (which uses a dload/UPDATA.APP file) but none of the others ROM without upgrade failure (Either upgrading at boot or from the Android menu)

On the other hand, using the Recovery Tools I was able to install update-U8230V100R001C00B250-rooted-signed.zip and r6.1-2.1-pulse-a2sd+-signed.zip

BUT none of the ROM for 2.2 :( (they all use dload/UPDATA.APP which end with "upgrade fails")

Is my bootloader locked and causes failure?

Whatever ROM is installed the FastBoot screen always shows:

------------------------------------

USB FastBoot : V0.5

Machine ID : 1007000 v0

Build date : Jun 14 2011, 14:46:16

Serial Number : UNKNOWN

Any help is welcomed

Edited by U_Droid

Hi,

I can only install the U8230V100R001C101B282SP03, from BYTEL website - Android v1.5 (which uses a dload/UPDATA.APP file) but none of the others ROM without upgrade failure (Either upgrading at boot or from the Android menu)

On the other hand, using the Recovery Tools I was able to install update-U8230V100R001C00B250-rooted-signed.zip and r6.1-2.1-pulse-a2sd+-signed.zip

BUT none of the ROM for 2.2 :( (they all use dload/UPDATA.APP which end with "upgrade fails")

Is my bootloader locked and causes failure?

Whatever ROM is installed the FastBoot screen always shows:

USB FastBoot : V0.5

Machine ID : 1007000 v0

Build date : Jun 14 2011, 14:46:16

Serial Number : UNKNOWN

Any help is welcomed

Disclaimer: please note that you have a U8230 and I have a U8220; so what I suggest may be of no use to you.

Are you trying to install U8220 official roms? Is that the problem?

Have you tried to install any of the U8230 2.1 rom updates instead?

From what I understand, not everything is compatible between the two devices.

And what 2.2 updata.app are your referring to? As far as I know, there is no updata.app (official update) of a 2.2 rom for your phone.

But maybe I misunderstood you.

Good luck.

THX twrock.

I tried to update with U8230 ROM such as previous versions from BYTEL but without success.

I referred to the UPDATA.APP to differentiate the 2 zip files types:

- update.zip type that can be flashed from recovery

- zip file with a dload folder (and UPDATA.APP file) to be flashed at boot or from Android menu.

What I'm now trying to do is to convert the "Pulse Android21.zip" into a signed "update.zip" file to flash device using the Kitchen link you gave me.

BTW: could you update me on :

• How to replace the FastBoot client version IN the phone (corresponding to the screenshot I mentioned above). I thought it was included in the boot.img but it did not changewhen flashing new boot.img !
  • The difference between "update.zip" and "ROM with dload". It seems that only the second can change the kernel to upgrade to 2.1 ???

Edited by U_Droid

THX twrock.

I tried to update with U8230 ROM such as previous versions from BYTEL but without success.

I referred to the UPDATA.APP to differentiate the 2 zip files types:

- update.zip type that can be flashed from recovery

- zip file with a dload folder (and UPDATA.APP file) to be flashed at boot or from Android menu.

What I'm now trying to do is to convert the "Pulse Android21.zip" into a signed "update.zip" file to flash device using the Kitchen link you gave me.

BTW: could you update me on :

- How to change the FastBoot client IN the phone (the screenshot I mentioned above). I thought it was included in the boot.img but it did changed even when flashing a new boot.img !

- The difference between "update.zip" and "ROM with dload". It seems that only the second can change the kernel to upgrade to 2.1 ???

Ah, too many terms and it's too confusing. I'm not sure what you understand and what you don't. But I hope this helps.

Installing an official update (updata.app) will replace what you see when you enter fastboot mode. That is lower level stuff than what you do when you install a custom modified rom. So since you have not been successful in updating to an official 2.1 rom (updata.app), you have not seen the fastboot screen change yet.

The "kernel" is technically part of a "boot.img". The other part of a boot.img is called the ramdisk. So both the modified roms and the official updates will replace the boot.img and of course the kernel as well.

OK and thanks for the explanation, This confirms the issue.

I can ONLY flash and reflash the lastest BYTEL ROM (dload/UPDATA.APP) available on their website !!!!

I'm not able to "overwrite" the lower stuff so far (cannot upgrade with other updata.app.)

Any chance to overcome this issue with either FastBoot, Recovery or ADB ?

Fasboot allows to boot on alternate filesystem, is there a work around possible using this (but I will need a fs img for that I guess) ?

Edited by U_Droid

OK and thanks for the explanation, This confirms the issue.

I can ONLY flash and reflash the lastest BYTEL ROM (dload/UPDATA.APP) available on their website !!!!

I'm not able to "overwrite" the lower stuff so far (cannot upgrade with other updata.app.)

Any chance to overcome this issue with either FastBoot, Recovery or ADB ?

Fasboot allows to boot on alternate filesystem, is there a work around possible using this (but I will need a fs img for that I guess) ?

I don't know where you can find the information you seek to overcome whatever lock your carrier has on the phone.

However, I am aware that some others who had locked phones were successful in reducing the size of the 2.2 rom (the size of /system files is the problem) so that it would fit into the 1.5 partition size.

You might also consider trying the "time machine" reset rom from Huawei and see if after using it you are able to update to some other 2.1 official rom. But I still think you need to update to a U8230 official rom, not a U8220. (I hope others will confirm or disagree with that so you will know for sure.) But, please remember, I'm only making guesses about your phone. I have no experience with the U8230.

Hi twrock,

Thanks again for your advices.

The U8230 is my old Android phone that I would like to use for my Android devs (no SIM no carrier needed) under Froyo 2.2 so I can take lot of risk with it.

On the other hand it's also a good way to train myself about Android system.

I did try the time machine reset ffrom Huawei but they also end into a "Update failed" (extract the dload into sdcard root and boot with update mode)

Because I'm only able to reflash

• the original BYTEL ROM (latest version only)
  • signed zip

and the FastBoot is still displaying the "Jun 14 2011" date makes me think that either the boot-load is kind of locked (cannot be rewritten) or during the upgrade there might be a date / version check.

I also tried to erase/reflash the boot under ADB but without success

For the time being I've made an ungrade to the Poupix ROM (RBM2-Light-7-signed.zip)

For the time being I've made an ungrade to the Poupix ROM (RBM2-Light-7-signed.zip)

For the time being, I've done an upgrade with the Poupix Light RedBull ROM (RBM2-Light-7-signed.zip)

~ # cat /dev/zero > /dev/mtd/mtd0

cat /dev/zero > /dev/mtd/mtd0

cat: write error: No space left on device  (see URL below)

~ # flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img

flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img

mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00000000; skipping

mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00020000; skipping

(several lines identical)

Edited by U_Droid

As I mentioned before, I am aware that others have reduced the size of 2.2 rom so it will fit in the old 1.5 partition size. I don't know how hard it is to do, but it has been done.

YES I have my HUAWEI U8230 BYTEL running Froyo 2.2.1 with quite a few of apps. :P

BIG THANKS to TWRock for his useful hints and ROM.

IMPORTANT: Because I only need to migrate my U8230 to Froyo 2.2.1 for Development purposes only, I have not extensively tested the robustness of the workaround.

There are HUAWEI U8230 smartphones used with Bouygues Telecom (BYTEL) that have been upgraded with the latest firmware version U8230V100R001C101B282SP03 (cupcake v1.5) dated june 2011 (I'll call it the B282 firmware for short).

Devices with the B282 F/W CANNOT BE UPGRADED with alternative Stock ROM (official ROM which are made of the dload folder with the UPDATA.APP file inside).

The B282 BootLoader is recent and dated Jun 14 2011, 14:46:16 (the bootloader takes place BELOW the boot and the recovery. It displays the blue screen for connection to the Fasboot tool).

Moreover, the B828 is referenced in none of the "upgradable_versions.txt" files which are included inside the UPDATA.APP archives and this might be the reason for "upgrade failure".

Unless we have the possibility to repack a UPDATA.APP archive, there is no possibility to overcome such issue.

Consequences:

The migration toward v2.1 cannot be done using the T-MOBILE UK v2.1 (june 2010) U8220V100R001C85B826 for example.

Moreover, without replacing the bootloader I cannot see how to change the size of the memory foorprint ( 85MB for /system, 105MB for /data, 20MB for /cache).

As of today, the v2.x Custom ROMs have larger footprints and fail to correctly install (the /system is full and incomplete)

Therefore we have to TAILOR the ROM to match the memory footprint requirement. Hopefully this is not that difficult. POULPIX did it for the version 2.1 already.

Workaround:

1- Installed the Kichen

2- Extract the TWRock ROM : TWeak0.3.3-CM61-pulse.zip

3- Extract the DT Apps2SD : dtapps2sd_2.7.5.2_signed.zip

4- Extract the Google Apps : gapps-pulse-f0.3.3.zip

5- Take the installation script (META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script) and manually merge the 3 scripts

6- Move most of the "none-core" APK from /system/app to /data/app (/system went down to 79,3 MB)

7- Keep as little as possible the media folder size (remove most of the alarms, notifications, ringtones)

7- Extract the boot.image and change the makeboot string from "MEM=128" to "MEM=110" (I created the boot.img with a makeboot out of the kitchen using the scripts)

8- Repack the boot.image

9- Rebuild the ZIP using the APK zalign and signature.

11- Install AmonRAR 1.5.2 and partition your SDCard (SWAP=64MB, SD-EXT=256MB/EXT2, remaining as FAT32)

optional but recommended - Install Clockwork 2.5.0.7

12- Wipe factory/cache/dalvik and Flash the ZIP (you loose all data)

So far, so good! It did not crashed but sloo....oow down.

In addition to TWRock ROM, I added Skype, Barcode scanner, Bonk live wallpaper, compass, Deluxe Moon lite (not very stable app), GPS essentials, Hj Lite (to speak Japanese), Quick settings, Task manager, Weather widget & clocks. The good news is that it also runs my messy developed applications!

Free tools I used:

Kitchen from dsixda - see posts above

Android command (not very stable but helpful) - http://androidcommander.com/

EASEUS Partition Master 9.1.0 Home Edition - http://www.partition-tool.com

Troubeshooting:

SDCARD :

I had lot of trouble formatting my Sandisk 4GB class 4 sdcard. The sd-ext went corrupted once and it took me some time to understand it.

Not all apps where visible in the MENU. Actually, about 50% of the apps were copied into /data/app (which is moved to the sd-ext thanks to dtapps2sd)

I used AmonRAR recovery to create the SWAP/EXT/FAT partitions.

Partition Master help me to erase/recreate the FAT32 and EXT2 partitions.

Using EXT3 partition was not a success and I fallback to EXT2.

REBOOT:

- I had some trials which were continuously rebooting (warm-reboot where the bootanimation restarted in loop) -> Check the boot.img file.

- Reboot: for some reasons, you SHOULD SKIP ALL configuration in the Startup Wizard and enable Wifi, Google account and Sync ONLY AFTER you have setup the Apps on SD in Cyanogen Menu and in Apps2SD application.

NOTES:

1- I have edited the thread title to better reflect the workaround

2- I'm Android system beginner, so please be kind to correct my mistakes or confusions

Edited by U_Droid