[STOPPED] CyanogenMod Beta2 Omnia 2 (updated: 04.05.2012)

Guest voyteckst

Voyteckst, I have a question regarding vmalloc=256 parameter. Has something changed in kernel memory allocation/memory management? Because I was running into memory problems (I'm dumb enough to try and use my omnia 2 as a software development testing device:P --due to lack of cash for a better one), I've noticed that even with 256mb swap space I end up with the system starting to kill background processes and not allowing new ones ending up in a situation were a required service for a foreground process can not start. (It may be irrelevant but I'd still like to know--and if unrelated maybe you possibly have any insights on my issue).

Also to contribute a bit:

I think a small change needs to be done in the FAQ regarding partition naming scheme. Because there is a certain configuration that is not covered at all and the directions are not very clear to people without technical knowledge. With this addendum half the installation questions would go away:

1) Internal Storage only phone (no SD card inside phone): Internal storage is mmcblk0. Partitions depending on setup are: 1/2/3 if you deleted the partition table and made new PRIMARY partitions or 5/6/7 if you resized "My Storage" and created the ext4 and linux swap partitions after it. This happens because the default setup of the phone is 1 Extended partition with 2 logical partitions inside it("My Storage" one and the hidden one for reseting to factory settings) (For more info on partition tables in general, use google.). So possible partition names are mmcblk0p1/mmcblk0p2/mmcblk0p3 or mmcblk0p5/mmcblk0p6/mmcblk0p7 (fat32/ext4/swap).

2) Internal Storage AND SD Card phone (SD card installed in phone): Internal storage is mmcblk1 and SD card is mmcblk0. So everything stands like described above but the block number is reversed. If the card is installed then the Internal Storage becomes mmcblk1 and the SD card is mmcblk0. The SD card should never have extended/logical partitions so it's always mmcblk0p1/2/3

This also creates an issue that if you install with a card in or out then you have to stick with this configuration or change the configuration files everytime you decide to boot the phone in the other configuration (with or without).

Now regarding the configuration files:

"startup.txt" : the partition should point to the ext4 one (This is the partition holding the operating system). So for our Phone case 1 (see above) it's mmcblk0p2 or mmcblk0p6. For the Phone case 2, it's mmcblk1p2 or mmcblk1p6 if you installed in Internal Storage or mmcblk0p2 if you installed on SD Card.

"/system/etc/vold.fstab" : This file mounts the External SD card. You need "dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.1/mmc_host/mmc1" if you want to mount "My Storage" as an SD Card for the Phone case 1. For the Phone case 2 I am unsure of the device assignment because I have no SD card to test myself.

"init.rc" : The line "mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p5 /storage" mounts as /storage whatever you wish. The external SD fat32 partition or the "My Storage" partition. Depending on what you mounted as External storage in "/system/etc/vold.fstab" you can mount the other here by changing the line appropriately. Use the names above to mount what you want (I've written all possibles combinations already).

"/system/etc/fstab": This ones in mounting your linux swap partition. For Phone case 1 it's mmcblk0p3 or mmcblk0p7 and for case 2 it's mmcblk1p3 or mmcblk1p7 if you're using Internal Storage or mmcblk0p3 if you're using SD card.

Edited by Nodens

Guest RonLewis

Just wanted to say thanks so much to the Dev team for this. I have been trying Froyo Beta3 for a while now and have been very disapointed but only because of the battery drain.

Froyo Beta 3 issues

1. Delay of upto 5 seconds when answering calls

2. Battery drain is really heavy (8 hours max on standby only, not data, wireless or GPS)

3. Time sync issues (resloved by setting Windows to London, Dublin with the date and time of now Sydney) Once haret.exe is booted. Time is correct. (please note, i live in Sydney Australia)

CyanogenMod Beta 1 is super fast and stable. Also the battery does not drain like in Froyo Beta3. Loving this release. Dont know how you guys do it but THANKYOU

Issues remaining:

1. Delay of upto 5 seconds when answering calls. (a bit stabler than before as i can press the answer button now and it will pick up intime)

2. Time sync issues (resloved by setting Windows to London, Dublin with the date and time of now Sydney) Once haret.exe is booted. Time is correct.

3. Camera button not working. It just does not respond to the keypress (But camera is working great with the widget)

Thanks once again guys, you really out did yourselves :)

Guest shockwavenl

ok i think i know how to install now:

just make the right partitions and untar the ext4.tar.gz to the ext4 partition and copy the haret.exe o2beta folder etc to the fat32 partition and then boot haret. am i right?

only thing im missing is the half of startup.txt i dont have a line where i can change the mmcblk0p6 (what my ext4 partition is)

can someone give me a good startup.txt with the memory (new line) in it?

it would be much appreciated.

Guest voyteckst

I still cant use the camera on this beta sad.gif I think beta3 more stable..

Have You read first post? Camera driver is in development.

Besides - if it worked on b3 it should work now, because in this matter nothing changed.

And according to stability - You even haven't mentioned why it is not stable, because I think that CM is the best version of android for Omnia 2 ever.

Guest jtsabino

Hello,

Just installed the CMbeta1. It is working great! :)

I have one question: is the camera autofocus suppose to work? Mine never worked properly.

My camera just does the autofocus when starting the camera app. I have to point the camera to the object I want to photograph before starting camera app. After starting the camera, if I change the distance to the object and take another shot it won't be focused anymore. I have focus set to automatic.

Is this normal because camera is still under development or should it be already working properly?

Thanks.

Guest pes1313

Besides - if it worked on b3 it should work now, because in this matter nothing changed.

And according to stability - You even haven't mentioned why it is not stable, because I think that CM is the best version of android for Omnia 2 ever.

also the headphones are not working in cm beta1 :unsure:

Guest marios32

it really is the best version for our little omnia :lol:

the only real problem for me is the headphones not working and tried adb logcat just to be sure and i have the same message

oh and swap is working btw.

Capture2.png

Edited by marios32

Guest unicodes

Hello,

I have installed Cm6beta1 its great view and faster,

but my phone radio is always OFF.

I was follow README file like

"If phone is not working for You (it's missing WCDMA 1900 frequency), just use standard JJ1 image. To do this rename cm_update_wm.sh script to cm_o2_update.sh re-run android and after update reboot. (cm_update_i65.sh script is to back to standard beta phone image)"

but its not take effect for me,

please help me.............

Guest carlospaco

Hello, Thanks for this beta1 , for me it's works great. Camera and everything.

I have it on sdcard install, fresh install.

But with some games , like tomcat and cordy, it can not install it.

Why is that? Can somebody tell me?

Thanks Dev's and Voyteckts for this excellent work

Guest jtsabino

Hello,

I have installed Cm6beta1 its great view and faster,

but my phone radio is always OFF.

I was follow README file like

"If phone is not working for You (it's missing WCDMA 1900 frequency), just use standard JJ1 image. To do this rename cm_update_wm.sh script to cm_o2_update.sh re-run android and after update reboot. (cm_update_i65.sh script is to back to standard beta phone image)"

but its not take effect for me,

please help me.............

Perhaps you should read the first post: http://windows.modaco.com/topic/346446-cyanogenmod-beta1-omnia-2-updated-28112011/

Guest nikkotsoi

This version is sometimes lag

like pulling down the notification bar

i would rather try install it again and report to you all :lol:

Just wanted to say thanks so much to the Dev team for this. I have been trying Froyo Beta3 for a while now and have been very disapointed but only because of the battery drain.

Froyo Beta 3 issues

1. Delay of upto 5 seconds when answering calls

2. Battery drain is really heavy (8 hours max on standby only, not data, wireless or GPS)

3. Time sync issues (resloved by setting Windows to London, Dublin with the date and time of now Sydney) Once haret.exe is booted. Time is correct. (please note, i live in Sydney Australia)

CyanogenMod Beta 1 is super fast and stable. Also the battery does not drain like in Froyo Beta3. Loving this release. Dont know how you guys do it but THANKYOU

Issues remaining:

1. Delay of upto 5 seconds when answering calls. (a bit stabler than before as i can press the answer button now and it will pick up intime)

2. Time sync issues (resloved by setting Windows to London, Dublin with the date and time of now Sydney) Once haret.exe is booted. Time is correct.

3. Camera button not working. It just does not respond to the keypress (But camera is working great with the widget)

Thanks once again guys, you really out did yourselves :)

time delay depend on launcher adw launcher little slow

i am using beta3 with beta 2 zimage less drain and more free ram

attached file include theme very fast also include clear ram fmr and taskiller and rootexplorer

frb3update.tar.gz

Guest shockwavenl

ok i think i know how to install now:

just make the right partitions and untar the ext4.tar.gz to the ext4 partition and copy the haret.exe o2beta folder etc to the fat32 partition and then boot haret. am i right?

only thing im missing is the half of startup.txt i dont have a line where i can change the mmcblk0p6 (what my ext4 partition is)

can someone give me a good startup.txt with the memory (new line) in it?

it would be much appreciated.

i did exactly what the manuals say,

make partitions. change fstab to 1p7, (i left init rc what it was)

untar ext4.tar.gz to ext4 partition

copy haret.exe , zimage , startup.txt to fat32 partition

in startup.txt paste this:

Set kernel zImage

Set ramsize 180*1024*1024

Set mtype 1626

Set ramaddr 0x50000000

Set kernelcrc 1

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p6 init=/init console=ttySAC2,115200 vmalloc=256M"

setbitp 0x7F008808 5 1

pfw 0x7f005800 4 0x3

pfw 0x7f005804 4 0x805

pfw 0x7f005808 4 0x7

pfw 0x7f00580c 4 0x0

pfw 0x7f005828 4 0x11

pfw 0x7f00582c 4 0x80

boot

and then unmount omnia 2 and run haret.exe.

when i do this i get to the android on omnia 2 is loading screen.

it stays there for infinite of time.. it just hangs there AGAIN!

how do i fix this?

thanks in advance..

EDIT: my partitions are setup like this:

1p5 = fat32, 1p6 = ext4, 1p7 = swap.

but stil dont work

Edited by shockwavenl

Guest Kamote14

I agree,. CM is the best version of Android for Omnia EVER..

Will wait for the Camera driver update,. that is the only things not working on mine now.. Thanks Devs..

Guest jingang

will you please ,have a look at :

plus tool for cm rom,as i run it on my i8000,it says that it has been overclocked to 1000MHz for erer,is it really can?

Guest TIEfighter

Soo, after 5 months of being really happy with my new phone (Galaxy SII) I've come back to see what has happened to android development for my old baby Omnia 2, and after trying this new 'Rom' out I have to say:

The work that's been done is absolutely impressive!

The Phone is more responsive than with any WinMo rom, Wi-Fi is blazingly fast and i love how basically everything works.

I just want to congratulate the team for their amazing work over the past years. You have made this phone what it should have been from start - a modern Smartphone with a fluid OS and all the great apps available.

And while I wasn't patient enough and went on to buy a GS2, I would definitely consider this sufficient for daily use, and it's on par with all those 'cheap' Android phones released in the past year.

You guys are amazing, can't wait to see some updates if you still find motivation to keep developing ;-)