[STOPPED] CyanogenMod Beta2 Omnia 2 (updated: 04.05.2012)

Guest voyteckst

Guest Abhiraj4

Unofficial guide: How to manually install Android 2.2 (Froyo) beta 3 release on My Storage partition instead of external SD card on the Samsung Omnia II (GT-i8000)

WARNING: This guide will remove the hidden partition from your phone.

(But I guess it's possible to just resize the my storage partition to get the space you need for the swap and ext4 partitions without loosing the hidden partition)

Always make a backup of your phone before doing this kind of procedure to your phone.SPB Backup is a good software to do that on WinMo you can also store all of your contacts on your SIM card also backup all files you want to keep that is on the My Storage partition.

Note: You can use this guide starting at step 2 to upgrade from beta2 to beta3 (that's how I installed it) You only need to create the linux-swap partition using gparted

Disclaimer: This guide worked for me with the Omnia II (GT-i8000) 16 Gb version so it may not work on other phones compatible with this build. I cannot be held responsible for any damage to you and/or your phone.

Requirements:

- Samsung Omnia II (model GT-i8000)

- Froyo 2.2 Beta 3 build

- Windows (XP, Vista or 7)

- Linux (Live CD or Bootable USB key or a Virtual Machine like VirtualBox since it can link the USB port to the VM. You can use the ubuntu iso as a live CD with VirtualBox so you dont have to install the whole thing)

- Knowledge of Linux is a good thing also to have

- ext4.tar.gz from froyo_beta3.zip

- haret.exe, zImage and startup.txt from froyo_beta3.zip (not from the o2beta folder but from the root of the zip file) - [ you can get startup.txt from beta2 manual installer package froyo_beta2_manual_inst.zip ]

1- Preparing the filesystem: phone booted on Windows Mobile and PC under Linux

- Connect your phone to your PC (Making sure you've selected the My Storage partition in Home -> General Settings -> USB Connection -> Mass Storage -> My Storage)

- Started Gparted and choose the 15.36 Gb partition (should be the last device in the dropdown list)

- Unmount the fat32 partition

- Delete the fat32 partition and all other partitions including the extended partition (this will remove the hidden partition)

- Create 1 primary fat32 partition of about 14.7 Gb labeled sdcard

- Create 1 primary ext4 partition of 1 Gb labeled system

- Create 1 primary linux-swap partition of 128 mb (mine is 256 mb but 128 mb is more than enough)

- Apply the changes (this might take a while so go get something to drink)

- Reboot your phone so that WinMo ajusts its new My Storage partition.

2- Copying the files:

Mount /media/system and extract the content of ext4.tar.gz (sdd2 could be different for you depending on how many disks you have in your PC)

sudo mount /dev/sdd2 /media/system

sudo tar zxvf ext4.tar.gz -C /media/system
Mount /media/sdcard and copy haret.exe, startup.txt and zImage from froyo_beta3.zip
sudo mount /dev/sdd1 /media/sdcard

cp haret.exe zImage startup.txt /media/sdcard
3- Changing configuration files: vold.fstab in /media/system/system/etc
sudo vi /media/system/system/etc/vold.fstab
Change the following line:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0
Like this:
dev_mount sdcard /sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.1/mmc_host/mmc1
init.rc in /media/system/ (optional: If you want to use your external SD card)
sudo vi /media/system/init.rc
mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p5 /storage
Like this:
mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /storage
startup.txt in /media/sdcard
vi /media/sdcard/startup.txt
Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 init=/init console=ttySAC2,115200"
Like this:
Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init console=ttySAC2,115200"
fstab in /media/system/system/etc
sudo touch /media/system/system/etc/fstab

sudo chmod 666 /media/system/system/etc/fstab

sudo echo /dev/block/mmcblk1p3 swap swap defaults 0 0 > /media/system/system/etc/fstab
4- Unmount the 2 paritions
sudo umount /media/system

sudo umount /media/sdcard

5- Starting Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Unplug your phone from your PC

Phone booted under WinMo: Home -> File explorer -> My Storage -> haret.exe

Note: It's normal that the Loading Omnia 2 screen and Android logo screen takes longer on first boot since it's unpacking the apps.

6- Enjoy your brand new Android smartphone :D

I think that's about it, I tried to put in as much details possible from memory since I didn't want to reinstall the whole thing again.

hey i donw anything about linux socould u pls tell in d 1st step what is sdd2 ??

Have re-installed the whole system the 2nd time, still can't get the IME change to any Chinese Input Method.

Anybody having the same problem?

Here's the steps had been taken:

• Overwrite all 3 files into /system/fonts and chmod to 644.
  • Installed Google PinYin
  • Enabled Google PinYin in Settings->Language and Keyboard.
  • Changed Language to Chinese Taiwan
  • Open New SMS, Click on Keyboard Settings, then clicked on Select Input Method.

Until here, the screen will fall back to New SMS screen with only Android Keyboard. There should have another screen for me to pick which IME I wish to use but it didn't appear.

...skip..

nelson, I didn't touch "chmod to 644", and according to others, only droidsansfallback.ttf is needed to be replaced

maybe u can try with other IME, I used cedIME, it includes Pinyin

Guest Nelson Neoh

nelson, I didn't touch "chmod to 644", and according to others, only droidsansfallback.ttf is needed to be replaced

maybe u can try with other IME, I used cedIME, it includes Pinyin

Same thing happened.

It look like my IME switch is not working at all.

Guest Danielsy

Same thing happened.

It look like my IME switch is not working at all.

Just wondering did you enable the IME after installation which is in settings-->language & keyboard??

Guest marisaleh

@voyteckst

I'd like to report two bugs.

The first one is when i uninstall something, it goes back to the list and stuck at "loading..." but if i press back and i go back there its ok.

The second one is related to Opera Mobile, if i start it, header and white page appears, but nothing more, and messes up the lock screen too.

I agree on the first one.

On the second one, I don't think you need to use third party browser,

I think the native browser is brilliant, fast with flexible zoom, page display options.

I used to have a problem with third party browsers on Beta3

Guest zappazz

And of course posting logcat was to hard for You right? I had to do it myself even if I do not use App2SD, becasue I don't think it's good idea...

Update available on main site.

Sorry, but typing "logcat" in the terminal emulator i get the following "Unable to open log device /dev/log/system: Permisssios denied", so i can't read and post it :-(

Either trying to execute the patch from terminal, i get "ln: /system/bin/newfs_msdos: Permission denied".

(the patch is not a problem, i'll fix it tonight through ubuntu...)

My real problem seems to be i do not have root access or some write authorization (actually i'm not able to save ADW launcher settings, too).

I know you wrote 100 times that phone is rooted, but i get that "permission denied"...

At the moment i don't understand why and what i have to do. i'll try to format and reinstall.

To avoid use of App2SD i'll buy a class 10Sd card, so i wont need to move application and, according to your performance consideration, Android will be even faster than internal memory.

Thanks for your huge support and these fantastic releases.

Edited by zappazz

Guest stanleycc

Sorry, but typing "logcat" in the terminal emulator i get the following "Unable to open log device /dev/log/system: Permisssios denied", so i can't read and post it :-(

Either trying to execute the patch from terminal, i get "ln: /system/bin/newfs_msdos: Permission denied".

(the patch is not a problem, i'll fix it tonight through ubuntu...)

My real problem seems to be i do not have root access or some write authorization (actually i'm not able to save ADW launcher settings, too).

I know you wrote 100 times that phone is rooted, but i get that "permission denied"...

At the moment i don't understand why and what i have to do. i'll try to format and reinstall.

To avoid use of App2SD i'll buy a class 10Sd card, so i wont need to move application and, according to your performance consideration, Android will be even faster than internal memory.

Thanks for your huge support and these fantastic releases.

in terminal emulator, type

cd /
and press enter, then type
su
ln -s /system/bin/toolbox /system/bin/newfs_msdos

and press enter

Edited by stanleycc

Hi guys,

I need some help installing this new beta... Well, first of all, before you start to tell me to look at the previous posts, well, I already did it... read everything from page 154 to now... I tryed adjusting my tryies with everyone posts, but still, there was no success...

What I tried is basically this, I did some modifications on every try with suggestions on the posts, but, my tries were basically those that follow:

1) I tried to follow the same how-to of beta3 doing exactly the same steps and there was no good: Got stuck at the new logo (O2Droiod) (P.S.: Edited startup.txt just like the example on FAQ but changing the partition to the internal memory)

2) Re-formatted and tried again, this time without editing init.rc or fstab... Still no good, got stuck and "Loading Android for Omnia II" logo. (P.S.: As the previous attempt, edited startup.txt just like the example on FAQ but changing the partition to the internal memory)

3) Re-formatted and tried again, this time doing an "update-like" install: I installed the beta3, it was working fine... then extracted the ext4.tar to the ext4 partition and edited init.rc and fstab too... Still no good, got stuck at "Loading Android for Omnia II" logo. (P.S.: Again, as the previous attempt, edited startup.txt just like the example on FAQ but changing the partition to the internal memory)

Well, so, I have 2 questions:

1) Anyone did a manual succesfull installl would care to send me a how-to?

2) The automatic installer will delete my "My Storage! contents?

I repartioned my cell to a 7gb fat32, a 1gb ext4 and a swap, by the way...

Thanks for the help!

Regards!

Edited by pessoa

Guest zappazz

in terminal emulator, type

cd /
su

and press enter

Noooooo i tryed "sudo" instead of "su"...:wacko:

Fix applyed: App2Sd working

Logcat working as well.

Many Thanks.

Edited by zappazz

Guest Abhiraj4

who can give a link of update file??cannot open the link?what is wrong?

ya man all are lazy i think so..... no upload ...pls ppl cant u just upload 10 mb file.... sick

Guest jingang

ya man all are lazy i think so..... no upload ...pls ppl cant u just upload 10 mb file....

i canot run terminal on my phone...what is your meaning by sick? not polite ??and i didn't ask anything from you?sick...

Edited by jingang

i canot run terminal on my phone...what is your meaning by sick? not polite ??and i didn't ask anything from you?sick...

of course you can.. read several post behind.. the answer is there..

or I can say, download terminal emulator from the market, and run

su -c bash

CM 6 is come with bash Shell.. I'm using this way to solve App2SD problem..

hope it work for you.. good luck