Internet / Wifi Performance very poor compared to w580i

Guest mk_kev

I have a Gen1 OSF running ss5 and my daughter has a battered old Sony Ericson w580i which is so much better than my OSF for internet use.

1/ The w580i will pick up wifi at a far greater range eg. we were at a concert in hyde park - she could get wifi - I could not even see it on the OSF

2/ We were on holiday in Yorkshire camping - no wifi. So we were using the mobile network (GSM/WCDMA). She was able to download basic pages far quicker than I could. My surfing experience was very slow.

We are both using the same GIFFGAFF luckybag package. So how come my smart phone is actually so slow compared to her ancient SE phone ?

Any advice info would be appreciated.

Edited by mk_kev

Guest reluctant_traveller

I have a Gen1 OSF running ss5 and my daughter has a battered old Sony Ericson w580i which is so much better than my OSF for internet use.

1/ The w580i will pick up wifi at a far greater range eg. we were at a concert in hyde park - she could get wifi - I could not even see it on the OSF

2/ We were on holiday in Yorkshire camping - no wifi. So we were using the mobile network (GSM/WCDMA). She was able to download basic pages far quicker than I could. My surfing experience was very slow.

We are both using the same GIFFGAFF luckybag package. So how come my smart phone is actually so slow compared to her ancient SE phone ?

Two different pieces of hardware, therefore the aerial design/implimentation will be different.

Things like the components used will cause shielding of the signal at different angles.

Different o/p and gain strengths of the antennae.

I would also hazard a guess that the browsing/internet experience is a lot different, the w580i will be using an optimised browser (Netfront). Have you installed a different browser onto the blade to see if you cannot increase the speed of rendering? something like Opera or Miren is probably faster than stock browser.

Is your daughters phone set to download webpages using the WAP protocol rather than full HTML?

To be honest, It's like comparing two different cars.

Edit: you probably should have this post moved to the general blade forum.

Edited by reluctant_traveller

Guest rockstarszzzz

I had SE k850i. Very similar apart from the walkman factor.

This is because your daughter's phone renders the mobile view of all websites whereas our phones do the desktop html view. This means the browsing experience is better on blade than SE. But Browsing speed might be better on SE.

You could install Opera Mini from Market and then in settings select the browser to render only mobile web pages and not desktop/full pages.

You will find out that your browsing will improve significantly but you won't like it because they won't be full desktop experience any longer. But it will be very fast!

I had SE k850i. Very similar apart from the walkman factor.

This is because your daughter's phone renders the mobile view of all websites whereas our phones do the desktop html view. This means the browsing experience is better on blade than SE. But Browsing speed might be better on SE.

You could install Opera Mini from Market and then in settings select the browser to render only mobile web pages and not desktop/full pages.

You will find out that your browsing will improve significantly but you won't like it because they won't be full desktop experience any longer. But it will be very fast!

Thanks for this guys.

I will give opera mini / mirem a try - see if speed increases.

I understand that the hardware is different - you would think however that a smart phone would work better than a basic SE phone for browsing wouldn't you ? The fact that the SE is better at wifi reception is a real disapointment.

Maybe this should be in the main forum - not sure how to acheive that.